Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/Storm Discussion Thread 25/5/16 onwards

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

Still very windy with more Altocumulus Castellanus cloud streaming in from the E. LOL.

Here's the Nest cam live stream, now looking E: https://video.nest.com/live/OIJL3I

No idea why the video quality is so poor...

Edited by William Grimsley

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
1 hour ago, William Grimsley said:

Pretty sure I will! About time! :D

Highly unlikely imho. General rain, maybe. It's chucked it down here all day and been very chilly, that's all moving your way.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

20°C and almost unbroken strong sunshine all day. Quite a contrast.  I saw there was a bit of instability predicted for my area over night and into tomorrow, but now  doesn't seem like the rain will reach this far west after all. 

Posted
24 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Highly unlikely imho. General rain, maybe. It's chucked it down here all day and been very chilly, that's all moving your way.

Ahh, come on it was a joke. I know it's going to be just rain but one clap of thunder wouldn't go amiss!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
13 minutes ago, William Grimsley said:

Ahh, come on it was a joke. I know it's going to be just rain but one clap of thunder wouldn't go amiss!

Again, highly unlikely :D

Posted
50 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

I think people are getting dangerously optimistic because of storm withdrawal

Hmm, I agree...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dull And Uninteresting Weather
3 hours ago, LimoPreacherman said:

yes, one shows us, the other shows Europe, DON'T CRITICISE MY SNIPPING SKILLS!

:nonono:

seems your caps lock got stuck on the second half of the sentence and I wasn't criticizing but if you like I can say that the same point could have been made with only one image

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Got my eye on those cells approaching Lincolnshire now. If only this setup occurred 5 months ago, it would be epic wash streamers! 

Edit: sferics showing just off the Lincs coast now :O!! 

Edited by East_England_Stormchaser91
  • Like 1

Posted

Rain band intensifying on the west side, god I'm hopeful...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

hopeful of what?......heavy rain? yes, that's a possibility for a while maybe....for thunderstorms?....very little scope for that, I'm afraid

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, ajpoolshark said:

hopeful of what?......heavy rain? yes, that's a possibility for a while maybe....for thunderstorms?....very little scope for that, I'm afraid

Yes, thunderstorms and you're right, no chance. One day I bet you we'll get a 24 hour long MCS to make up for everything...

Posted

Huge downpour just finished coming through, just at the backend 30 seconds before it was all over there was a huge rumble, first thunder of the year? Any radars pick that up or was it just a wheelie bin?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and anything unusual
3 minutes ago, Delka said:

Huge downpour just finished coming through, just at the backend 30 seconds before it was all over there was a huge rumble, first thunder of the year? Any radars pick that up or was it just a wheelie bin?

Don't think it was thunder unfortunately probably a wheelie bin like you said. I usually get tricked by that and also by planes going over its frustrating

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I remember back in July 1968, when I think the SE had a similar situation - a NE wind with sporadic thundery rain - patiently waiting, as the sky grew darker, for the first rumble of thunder. Although the thunder duly arrived, I have absolutely not the faintest idea what the lesson was about! But that's Asperger's: our minds can be anywhere!:D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow

July 1968 was a good month for thunderstorms in the south, the best events being the 10th~11th and 13th~14th with rainfalls >25 mm on each of these occasions (Fleet, Hants). S.E. did not fare well on the 1st with the very hot day and thunderstorms over the west country moving N.E. and missed out on the large hail associated with these storms.

Summer 1968 saw much N.E.ly and E.ly type weather in the south and culminated in the thunderstorms and torrential rain from an almost stationary front on 14th~16th September. Guildford had 105 mm over these 3 days with major flooding. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
2 minutes ago, Severe Blizzard said:

July 1968 was a good month for thunderstorms in the south, the best events being the 10th~11th and 13th~14th with rainfalls >25 mm on each of these occasions (Fleet, Hants). S.E. did not fare well on the 1st with the very hot day and thunderstorms over the west country moving N.E. and missed out on the large hail associated with these storms.

Summer 1968 saw much N.E.ly and E.ly type weather in the south and culminated in the thunderstorms and torrential rain from an almost stationary front on 14th~16th September. Guildford had 105 mm over these 3 days with major flooding. 

I'm guessing that that was when we had the 'red rain' (33C at Kew?). Your are right, we in MK missed most of the action. It must have been the 13th-14th when we had one house struck twice during one storm, after a cloudy, dreich sports day...Friday night? I'm glad someone-else can remember!:D

• Like 1

Posted
33 minutes ago, Martin Auld said:

Don't think it was thunder unfortunately probably a wheelie bin like you said. I usually get tricked by that and also by planes going over its frustrating

Not surprised, the wind definitely picked up alot whilst it all came through

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy
32 minutes ago, Martin Auld said:

Could very possibly have been. I've witnessed thunder before with no correspondence from lightning maps. Earlier this month at Leicester I saw proof of it too, physically observed the lightning, but no detection. It only registers strikes that make contact with the ground it would seem. 

Posted
1 hour ago, William Grimsley said:

Yes, thunderstorms and you're right, no chance. One day I bet you we'll get a 24 hour long MCS to make up for everything...

Yes, why not? We used to! I remember numerous all night storms in decades past, sometimes continuing to lunchtime the next day. All changed now in this 'new' climate of ours that really needs to do one!

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

Could very possibly have been. I've witnessed thunder before with no correspondence from lightning maps. Earlier this month at Leicester I saw proof of it too, physically observed the lightning, but no detection. It only registers strikes that make contact with the ground it would seem. 

I'm going to class it as just a heavy rain shower, I didn't see any lightning or flash at all just the deep rumble. Just going to take it as another close, but a miss, event. Don't mind though, was definitely worth it, plants are getting a good watering! :pardon:

Posted

The North sea seems to be capable today of spawning west bound cells at the moment, will these cells only be of the elevated flavour?

Edited by Speedway Slider

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and anything unusual
24 minutes ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

Yeah I agree in the thundery shower I had last week I observed four strikes but the radar only managed to detect two of them

Posted
38 minutes ago, Martin Auld said:

Yeah I agree in the thundery shower I had last week I observed four strikes but the radar only managed to detect two of them

I have been told in the past, that detectors struggle with inter cloud and intra cloud? I suppose if it doesn't discharge to ground, there's nothing or very little to detect?