Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/Storm Discussion Thread 25/5/16 onwards

A.J

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

None of the most recent model runs (ECMWF, GFS or NMMM) picking up the heavy showers/storms developing along the E Sussex coast recently, though funnily the 00z ECMWF this morning did break out heavy downpours across the SE overnight. BBC forecasts were suggesting this would occur, as did my forecast earlier today.

Be interesting to see how this evolves overnight, as a stronger flow aloft and vertical shear now across the SE.

Edited by Nick F
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

A couple of cell just picked up in intensity around Worcester...... Supa if you don`t fancy staying down there:D

Edited by Arnie Pie

Posted
11 minutes ago, jy said:

s

sorry jtay in answer to your question the pub is the Yew Tree

Ha small world, my uncle and aunt used manage the Yew Tree inn many years ago. Fond memories there! Snow was always better there than my location in Southampton.

Anyhow, few flashes of lightning here this evening. Potential seems better tomorrow afternoon, fingers crossed

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
1 minute ago, Paul said:

As we're not going to 'officially' announce all this until tomorrow, I thought I'd re-copy it in here for those watching the storms tonight!

Hi Paul - I can't remember which radar did it, but one of them used to detect your location on a phone or a tablet. Is it possible to add it to the V7? I liked logging in and it automatically zooming to my location. Also, would there be a possibility of adding in a dark map background further down the line? Apart from that couple of suggestions, the V7 is excellent, by far the best radar I have ever used! :)

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Wow - Michelmersh is getting absolutely battered! I only looked about 10 mins ago, and the station was at 20mm.

2016-05-27 (4).png 2016-05-27 (5).png

Posted
5 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Hi Paul - I can't remember which radar did it, but one of them used to detect your location on a phone or a tablet. Is it possible to add it to the V7? I liked logging in and it automatically zooming to my location. Also, would there be a possibility of adding in a dark map background further down the line? Apart from that couple of suggestions, the V7 is excellent, by far the best radar I have ever used! :)

Thanks and yep - it should have location zoom built in actually, so maybe a small bug in there if you're not seeing that - I'll get it marked down to be looked at. We've been working on new map backgrounds recently too, so watch this space. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
13 minutes ago, Arnie Pie said:

A couple of cell just picked up in intensity around Worcester...... Supa if you don`t fancy staying down there:D

Probably a bit far now for me to get. I am south of Swindon pinning all my hopes on the cell north of Southampton :-)

• Like 2

Posted
13 minutes ago, Supacell said:

Probably a bit far now for me to get. I am south of Swindon pinning all my hopes on the cell north of Southampton :-)

Yep In position and refreshed for tomorrow can`t be a bad thing

Worcester cells holding and a few more over Warwickshire beginning to pop up,,,,,creeping slowly up to the North

We may be in for treat...worth stopping up for

good luck for tomorrow/ tonight

Edited by Arnie Pie
  • Like 1

Posted

Regarding the radar, still use V4 as it has the image 'smoothing' visualisation and no lag in loading different frames.  Only thing that I would really like to see is an option to increase the animation/loop speed, which would be ideal for quickly determining the track of storms. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

@Nick F HIRLAM has picked them up...

hirlamukpcp12.gif

Very interesting indeed for what it shows for the SE later on....

hirlamukpcp15.gifhirlamukpcp18.gifhirlamukpcp21.gifhirlamukpcp24.gif

• Like 1

Posted

Looks like it's losing intensity. I had my eye on the 'cell' emerging from Newbury earlier. Unfortunately it faded really quickly as it moved N but despite a moderate shower showing on the radar I had no rainfall at all.I swear my garden has its own microclimate!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

yes, just spotted a distant flash to my south....judging by the radar it would appear to have come from a cell near trowbridge

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

Well frustrating evening's chase. As always I pushed on past where I was planning to stop and ended up near Bristol where everything seemed to peter out.

BUT after returning to Woking to drop off work things and driving back down the A3 toward home I saw a flash immediately ahead - albeit up and ahead - ie. Far away in the tops of that Winchester cell.

Having already promised I'd be home with cider to watch some Friday night TV I gave up the chase - which with hindsight would have been a simple 30 min drive up the A31 to Farnham and beyond for some great views of the storm(s) coming up from Southampton.

Still, I could see the atmos flashes from our spare room tho there's a hill mostly in the way in that direction.

Funny thing I noticed tonight however was the temperature as I drove back along the M4 - Bristol was about 15 degrees but it jumped up to 18 as I passed through Reading. Woking area was back down to 13ish. On the way down the A3 and passing Guildford it was creeping back up toward the 15 mark.

Was this some kind of warm sector which was feeding the more recent cells? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Just had lightning here, going by how the other storms have been, not expecting anymore, but I guess we'll see.

Posted

Are these elevated? Sparking off over the channel, I suppose they must be...

Oh, and Worcester picking up again...timed @ 02:40

Screenshot_2016-05-28-02-35-17.png

Screenshot_2016-05-28-02-33-12.png

Screenshot_2016-05-28-02-49-54.png

Edited by Speedway Slider
Photo didnt load
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything even slightly exciting & less Vanilla.

Tho ones off the Kent coast appear stationary. Bit of a shame.

Posted
1 hour ago, Speedway Slider said:

Maybe Birmingham/Wolverhampton going to get tagged this morning ? (03:00hrs)

Screenshot_2016-05-28-03-01-31.png

Elevated clouds coming into the are, lit up by the oncoming sunrise.....If i remember right from past elevated events this is a good sign

IMG_9730.JPGIMG_9727.JPG

Edited by Arnie Pie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Saw some distant flashes at around 2am last night from the storms that broke out between Gloucester and Hereford but other than that a quiet night for me. I managed about 2 hours sleep overall in the car.

Awaiting the mornings model runs but currently my eyes are on Somerset from around midday. I'll be getting a strong tea and a fry up first though :-)

Edited by Supacell
  • Like 4