Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Noctilucent Cloud Season 2016

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
10 hours ago, Polar Maritime said:

A spectacular show of NLC's lighting up the Northern sky just now! One of the best i have seen.

what time was that?... any pics?...

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
1 hour ago, mushymanrob said:

what time was that?... any pics?...

Hi Mushy i was up around 2.30am for the usual toilet run and noticed them as i let the mut out. Managed to get a snap on my Galaxy S4 as have no cameras for night photography so the quality is poor. But it was a wonderful sight.

20160704_015400_LLS.jpg

Posted
1 hour ago, Polar Maritime said:

Hi Mushy i was up around 2.30am for the usual toilet run and noticed them as i let the mut out. Managed to get a snap on my Galaxy S4 as have no cameras for night photography so the quality is poor. But it was a wonderful sight.

20160704_015400_LLS.jpg

thanks for that, maybe they are more visible in the mornings then the evenings?.. i have a galaxy s4 too...  i looked out at 3.50 but i saw nothing but by then its probably too late.

Posted
27 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

thanks for that, maybe they are more visible in the mornings then the evenings?.. i have a galaxy s4 too...  i looked out at 3.50 but i saw nothing but by then its probably too late.

It certainly seems that way, All the sightings i have seen have been after midnight from my location. 

Posted
6 hours ago, mushymanrob said:

Here we go Mushy, Taken from a much better camera last night..

ttp://spaceweathergallery.com/indiv_upload.php?upload_id=127087&PHPSESSID=d4bpc668di99cmu0ftu7mcd812

a.jpg

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 1

Posted

Conditions tonight seem favorable for possible sightings with clear skys.

Posted

• Like 1

Posted
14 hours ago, Polar Maritime said:

Conditions tonight seem favorable for possible sightings with clear skys.

my lad took a ride up turnditch , he saw some last night - faint but they were there.

• Like 1

Posted

my lad took a ride up turnditch , he saw some last night - faint but they were there.

I managed to stop up untill 1ish and did see some very faint ones myself but nowhere near as good as the other night. Looks like Scotland had a good show! Credit to bottom left of pic..

FB_IMG_1467810265246.jpg

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

ive all but given up now, the season (locally) must be nearing its end and ive not had clear nights nor am i likely too have, not on a convenient night anyway. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

ive all but given up now, the season (locally) must be nearing its end and ive not had clear nights nor am i likely too have, not on a convenient night anyway. 

28th July here when lingering twilight ends completely and we start getting proper night time again. So I guess between now and then, the NLC season will tail off.

Posted
11 hours ago, CreweCold said:

28th July here when lingering twilight ends completely and we start getting proper night time again. So I guess between now and then, the NLC season will tail off.

yeah, thats only 12 days time, the last 6 weeks have flown by .

as it happens i went out last night (have a short journey to make as my house isnt situated well for viewing the northern horizon) , and there was only 1 bit of cloud in the sky, about 99% clear. guess where that 1 patch of cloud was?.. yep... right on the horizon covering where the ncl's would appear ..... you couldnt make this up. :(

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

no sightings?.... looks like its over...

Posted
14 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

Nowt here Rob, Just one sighting earlier in the Month. Some nice shots from Fife night before last though, Wont be long now until the end of the season..

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.
12 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

Morning Mushy :)
Sadly I have to agree with you, the lingering twilight season ends for me on this coming Friday, and I have seen one either this year... Sadly there has just been too much cloud about :nonono:
Here's hoping that next year is better for sightings :good:

• Like 1

Posted

Not seen any this year, just like last year. Despite all the cloud there have been enough clear nights when I would have expected to see some, they were a regular sight 3-4 years ago. Where have they gone?

Posted
On 24/07/2016 at 09:11, Polar Maritime said:

Nowt here Rob, Just one sighting earlier in the Month. Some nice shots from Fife night before last though, Wont be long now until the end of the season..

are we too far south for views like that?.... its fantastic!  or was this taken with a zoom lens?... i have no idea how much sky they take up tbh,

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Taken by Andy Stables on August 2, 2016 @ Milovaig, Isle of Skye, Scotland

a.jpg

• Like 1