Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Reports & Photos Chase Day 16 - Tx Panhandle

Paul Sherman

Posted

Targeted the Texas Panhandle today and initially watched the dryline near Dumas but it quickly became obvious that the main play was further east towards Perryton so we blasted east and core punched mainly small hail, then sat and watched a line of HP Storms to our west with insane lightning, around 6pm the parent Supercell ingested one last cell moving up from the south and it was game on, suddenly inflow winds were 40mph and rotation picked up, Blasted west to be under the base of very strong rotation and saw a lovely white cone tornado to our west. Then stopped and watched a 2nd Tornado literally touch down a few hundred yards in front of us, an occlusion occured to our east so we legged it back about 5 miles to see a lovely cone tornado drop which morped into a wedge, this also had a 4th Satelite tornado  spinning around it. Have some cruddy Iphone pics and also grahams video of the wedge which was very close to our North.

An amazing day some will never forget and I got to bring up my 150th Tornado which fittingly was a strong wedge tornado.

Youtube Vid of Grahams footage of the wedge below

And some Pics

IMG_2624n.jpg

IMG_2636n.jpg

• Like 8

Posted

Targeted DL around Ralls, TX as we were too late on my original target of Canadian. Let an impressive outflow dust storm pass over with 70mph SLW then followed a cell all the way round and back to Peduca where we watched a nice wall cloud backlit by lightning.

Good first day tech practice and we found a way to broadcast a LAN from the standard VZ pantech mifi dongle to run iPhones on the mifi signal. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Tornadoey

I also chased yesterday, targeting Spearman and arriving at about the time the first CU was bubbling to the south. Sat and watched the Stinnet-Spearman-Perryton complex from birth and saw the same tornadoes as the guys did.

Got some good stable GoPro footage of the big tornado. Shame I mucked up most of my photos yesterday ;)  

• Like 2