Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm risk - Monday 9th May onwards

Posted
17 minutes ago, Hurricane Debby said:

Yes, that's it. Did you know that that smell is actually pollution being washed up on the roofs and roads when it rains ?

no i did not know that! Not as romantic as smelling the electricity in the air haha.

How come the smell is more prevalent and noticeable in warm weather? i dont notice it in the winter months when its raining, usually only when its muggy/hot

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual

A few heavy blobs here been quite humid here all day, no thunder, no hail, no flying cows, no nothing to get exited about!

Roll on a proper 'eet wave! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/Snow/Hail & Strong Winds

Those storms have developed so quickly!! But erratic at the same time.

• Like 1

Posted

Keeping my eye on the shower tht's just sprung up in Reading and heading this way. Remarkably it's dry here. There's a circle of rain all around me, but we're dry and dark!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme.....
9 minutes ago, Azazel said:

no i did not know that! Not as romantic as smelling the electricity in the air haha.

How come the smell is more prevalent and noticeable in warm weather? i dont notice it in the winter months when its raining, usually only when its muggy/hot

Neither did I and it kind off took the romance out of being able to smell the rain. Mind you, coming to think about it, it's not a particularly nice smell. I heard this on James O'Briens Mystery Hour. I can only assume that the smell is more prevalent in warm weather because of the amount of dry days we have and so the pollution really builds up..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Meanwhile activity leaving the coast of Brittany..Cornwall clipper?

• Like 1

Posted

Come over very gloomy and stormy looking here, rolling in from the SE. Had a few spits of rain and the breeze picked up for a short while, but it's gone still again now it's overhead.

Fairly angry looking cloud base as it approached, but I'm not sure it's going to pop here- maybe as it passes NW London and on outwards?

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Nick F said:

Yep, can see a line of cumulus towers marking a suspected wind convergence line on recent visible satellite imagery just south of London and on toward M4 corridor. Can see the line just to my south here in Croydon, it's been trying to shoot up since late morning, but so far not producing.

satellite.PNG

3 short, sharp, but very heavy (almost torrential) shower here in the last 30 mins from that here Nick

Edited by Biggin
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme.....
1 minute ago, Joey.G said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petrichor

That smell has a name: petrichor

Good old Qi!

Oh wow I didn't know that, thanks Joey !

Just starting to rain here and getting darker.

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, macuk83 said:

M4 corridor really livening up

They look as though they're heading my way, but I don't think they're going to be anything other than heavy showers

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

Hey guys, I was lucky enough to catch what seemed to be the only storm that moved across the west coast of Scotland yesterday. I only seen 3 flashes of lightning but it was nice to see the storm pass in the distance. Picture was taken from Ayr beach looking over Arran.

IMG_6308.jpg

Edited by Stormeh
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms
15 minutes ago, Hurricane Debby said:

Oh wow I didn't know that, thanks Joey !

Just starting to rain here and getting darker.

That's the nice smell I was thinking about. It's definitely a living biology based odour and not an artificial one. I love it. I think I might be smelling it pretty soon, it's black dark here and has just started to rain. No electrical activity, I believe that starts tomorrow for us here in Limousin.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Darkened here rapidly and now it's raining, the temperature dropped from 25c to 19c. Was standing out in it with the cat, to cool off, but now we are both cold and the rain has got heavy. No thunder yet though.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Torrential rain in north Bristol now, and very dark. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

South Wales activity looks to have died a death.

Anyone near Devon/Cornwall coast start taking a look south.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

Yeah, those thunderstorms NNW of Brittany are definitely elevated but whether they'll make it to Cornwall or not is another matter. Anyway, it's been raining moderately here for at least the past hour if not more, not sure what our chances our tonight but tomorrow looks interesting with heavy and thundery rain moving up from France once again.

Posted
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL

Looking very dark and stormy to the south in the mid levels. Thinking some high based lightning will fire off as the evening progresses.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Still really warm here with the sun out. Very hazy to the south however with that approaching band, which is now extending out towards the Low Countries. Would be good to see something brew up over that way and get a light show off EA later.. 

Noticed a small but very potent looking cell on radar cropped up in the channel judging by rainfall rate. Could get quite silly on the Isles of Scilly if that hits, which currently looks like doing!