Storm risk - Monday 9th May onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Ukcw forecast out;

Day 2 Convective Outlook

VALID 06:00 UTC Mon 09 May 2016 - 05:59 UTC Tue 10 May 2016 

ISSUED 20:39 UTC Sun 08 May 2016

ISSUED BY: Dan

Large cut-off low will be located west of Iberia, providing a feed of of high WBPT air around its northern and eastern flanks across central/southern Britain. Assuming enough insolation occurs (questionable cloud cover) then pre-frontal troughing will be the main focus for deep convection, associated with a zone of low-level wind convergence providing the necessary forcing. Have issued a low-end SLGT to highlight areas of greatest interest, but even here it is uncertain as to how much lightning activity may actually materialise. High-res models also suggest a cluster of active thunderstorms moving N-wards from Brest peninsula towards the Channel Islands late Monday afternoon/early evening, hence the inclusion of a SLGT here. 

Showers/thunderstorms that do occur will move generally towards the WNW along this boundary. DLS is rather weak, and therefore limiting the overall severe risk, with the main threat being from minor surface water issues given potential for shower training over similar areas, especially farther west (i.e. towards Wales and Ireland).

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.
14 minutes ago, Harry said:

Ukcw forecast out;

Day 2 Convective Outlook

VALID 06:00 UTC Mon 09 May 2016 - 05:59 UTC Tue 10 May 2016 

ISSUED 20:39 UTC Sun 08 May 2016

ISSUED BY: Dan

Large cut-off low will be located west of Iberia, providing a feed of of high WBPT air around its northern and eastern flanks across central/southern Britain. Assuming enough insolation occurs (questionable cloud cover) then pre-frontal troughing will be the main focus for deep convection, associated with a zone of low-level wind convergence providing the necessary forcing. Have issued a low-end SLGT to highlight areas of greatest interest, but even here it is uncertain as to how much lightning activity may actually materialise. High-res models also suggest a cluster of active thunderstorms moving N-wards from Brest peninsula towards the Channel Islands late Monday afternoon/early evening, hence the inclusion of a SLGT here. 

Showers/thunderstorms that do occur will move generally towards the WNW along this boundary. DLS is rather weak, and therefore limiting the overall severe risk, with the main threat being from minor surface water issues given potential for shower training over similar areas, especially farther west (i.e. towards Wales and Ireland).

That looks good. We may see some nice sheet lightning to the south tomorrow night then, I wonder if those thunderstorms will make it across?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
1 minute ago, Mapantz said:

I'm sure that shape looks familiar, just can't put my finger on it..

largethumb.png

gods finger:rofl:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
26 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

largethumb.png

i hope that risk tranfers further north this week.

Edited by Allseasons-si
  • Like 3

Posted

On my walk to the station and skies looking distinctly thundery to my south. Dark complexion, hints of aspiratus undulatus together with bands of Ac (some of which is AcCas). You will all know the sort of sky I'm talking about. 

Touch more humidity in the air today too 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Harry said:

On my walk to the station and skies looking distinctly thundery to my south. Dark complexion, hints of aspiratus undulatus together with bands of Ac (some of which is AcCas). You will all know the sort of sky I'm talking about. 

Touch more humidity in the air today too 

Certainly a more "thundry feel" to the weather today

Does look okay(ish) for the South later today and more so over night and into tomorrow.. I expect Estofax will have a report out soon  

Edited by Surrey

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms

The BBC said; "By the afternoon, the rain will turn heavier with the odd rumble of thunder possible, particularly over the higher ground" I'm not sure how this works? Considered orographic lifting, but the SW isn't exactly know for it's "huge mountains" even though there are a few larger hills?

• Like 1

Posted

Not entirely sure I follow that either Ben...sounds like the presenter muddled their words a little lol.

Edited by Harry
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/Snow/Hail & Strong Winds

It is said on the Met office summary aswell :cc_confused:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

Yes, that is strange, probably incorrect. Anyway, I woke up to thunder being mentioned on the local weather forecast for today which was a nice surprise. Quite a thundery looking sky this morning with a rainbow off to the west of here. The Met Office are forecasting a 3 hour thunderstorm for me tomorrow afternoon. Get in.

9f4ef0d532d13d47c0dd3fde41c41c54.png

Edited by William Grimsley

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
50 minutes ago, Ben Sainsbury said:

The BBC said; "By the afternoon, the rain will turn heavier with the odd rumble of thunder possible, particularly over the higher ground" I'm not sure how this works? Considered orographic lifting, but the SW isn't exactly know for it's "huge mountains" even though there are a few larger hills?

Sometimes that's all it takes, guess we'll see later. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.
10 hours ago, Mapantz said:

largethumb.png

That pic is one eye short of a troll face, just came from the school run and it looks very stormy to my south.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
19 minutes ago, Dami said:

That pic is one eye short of a troll face, just came from the school run and it looks very stormy to my south.

The clouds look ominous here too, but there's a little bit of sunshine. 

• Like 2

Posted

Sun out in force in London at the moment 

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Bit of an uncertain day to forecast storms for me, given cloud spilling up from south and CINH north of the Midlands, but surface convergence, some sunshine and a shortwave moving north out of France later could trigger some storms across central and southern England along with Wales. Also some storms likely to develop over EIRE again today.

My Full forecast here: http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=convective;sess=

Edited by Nick F
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
1 hour ago, Ben Sainsbury said:

Obviously mixing up thunder and snow risk :D

• Like 2

Posted

Again 20'c over a few areas already along the Western areas and parts of Central areas, got a feeling if the sun breaks, this could be another day of underestimated temperatures. Dewpoints looking decent too touching 13-14'c in parts of the SE.

Edited by Ben Sainsbury

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/Snow/Hail & Strong Winds

Temperatures here peaked at 22'c yesterday at like 10:30 yesterday and then slowly decreased after that.

The rain is already starting to develop across northern France

Capture.PNG

• Like 2

Posted
11 minutes ago, MattTarrant said:

Temperatures here peaked at 22'c yesterday at like 10:30 yesterday and then slowly decreased after that.

The rain is already starting to develop across northern France

Capture.PNG

On top of what Matt said, this is where we could see developments begin as we see breaks into the cloud ahead of this band?Cells.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast
2 hours ago, Ben Sainsbury said:

You don't need huge mountains - just think for example the height difference between sea level and the moors of Exmoor/Dartmoor etc. This could be enough to force warm, moist air to rise and therefore if sufficient forcing takes place, showers and possibly storms can develop (My assumption is these would mainly be surface-based...???) Obviously other factors will affect the overall risk too.

Edited by Chris K
  • Like 1