Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm risk - Monday 9th May onwards

Posted

Hi all, first post. Thought I'd just share this funnel / tornado I witnessed yesterday at about 5:20pm on the A357 Henstridge traveling towards Stalbridge. (Somerset/Dorset boarder). When first spotted it was snaking towards the ground, couldn't say if it touched down or not.  Sod's law, first available spot I could pull over for pic it was obscured behind house (see pic to the right of chimney).  Tried to then get closer but as you can see it had already started to dissipate in the 2nd pic.  Very exciting for my 10 yr old boy who was sat with me, now a budding storm chaser! 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
2 minutes ago, Matthew Kelly said:

Hi all, first post. Thought I'd just share this funnel / tornado I witnessed yesterday at about 5:20pm on the A357 Henstridge traveling towards Stalbridge. (Somerset/Dorset boarder). When first spotted it was snaking towards the ground, couldn't say if it touched down or not.  Sod's law, first available spot I could pull over for pic it was obscured behind house (see pic to the right of chimney).  Tried to then get closer but as you can see it had already started to dissipate in the 2nd pic.  Very exciting for my 10 yr old boy who was sat with me, now a budding storm chaser! 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I've got stars in my eyes!

Welcome aboard.

• Like 2

Posted

I'm not feeling it today - sure there may be the odd clap and rumble here and there, but there's just way too much clag around and thus, lack of diurnal heating.

The south coast might import some general rain late this evening though. Yippee.

• Like 1

Posted
35 minutes ago, Harry said:

Given the motion of the precipitation, i.e comparing precipitation travel along the M4 corridor (due W) with the showers south of London (NNW) I'd be surprised if there's not, locally at least, more shear than perhaps anticipated.

No meaningful shear at all, Harry.  The change in direction you note is merely the mean steering flow at mid-level (can be seen on GFS chart below). Though you can get very localised shear/vorticity with updrafts, particularly when winds are as light as they are throughout the profile, which can lead to funnels/weak tornadoes (spouts)with updraft 'stretching'.   

viewimage.png

Edited by weather09

Posted
25 minutes ago, Harry said:

Awesome...everything about that picture strongly suggests to me that this is in fact a funnel cloud, not scud. Furthermore, from the middle picture it suggests to me that this 'scud' is forming in area of lowered cloud base, looking like a subtle wall cloud.

If I was a betting man (which I'm not), I'd wager what you witnessed was a funnel all day long.

Oo thanks! yeah I wasn't quite sure and have seen things like that 2 or 3 times, once from home, (and a proper distant funnel in 2014) I just didn't want to over-state it and am also not sure when a 'funnel' cloud starts and it stops being scud lol, but I did wonder given how little bits were forming literally at the level of that hill. There was perhaps very slight rotation, but was barely noticeable compared to the rising speed. I wondered if it was due to a convergence zone, perhaps a brief 'spin up' under the cloud.

It was certainly a quite strong updraught on the east/NE side of another shower, which soon produced it's own intense rain.
And yes forgot to mention I was with William, seeing as we live less than a mile apart makes sense to go together. 

In a different story, a couple years ago I was in the Blackdown hills and there was quiet compact rotation (but I don't think any particular funnel) on the back of a intense shower that had given thunder earlier , which passed almost right over me associated with brief 20-25mph winds which I heard coming through thet trees before it hit, and I noticed a few brown crispy leaves spiralling upwards out of the trees next to me. Does that mean I was in a tornado? lol

Edit, interesting to see there was another one in Dorset. My one was a few miles East of Honiton at about 5pm.

Edited by Evening thunder
  • Like 2

Posted
37 minutes ago, Evening thunder said:

Just a couple pics from yesterday, went on a little 'chase' with lots of heavy/torrential showers (no thunder of course). Saw this 'dangly' scud rising rapidly into the cloud base for a minute or two. Sort of looked like a funnel cloud trying to form even if it wasn't, there was hardly any (visible) rotation but perhaps a bit of variable direction noticeable in the rising scud. Though it was probably rising at least 20-30mph maybe more, given the speed relative to the tree size on that hill, it really was quite rapid despite being dead calm at my location.

P1050742.JPGP1050748.JPGP1050750.JPG

As for today and tomorrow, I'm kind of disappointed how they have both downgraded, were looking much better on the GFS charts and it will feel a pretty poor show here if we come through this without a hint of thunder here given several days of what had looked like ok potental.

What is "scud" cloud?

Never heard this term before......

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
1 minute ago, Speedway Slider said:

What is "scud" cloud?

Small bits of cloud floating about below the main cloud, sometimes they rise and connect to the main cloud.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Speedway Slider said:

What is "scud" cloud?

Scud is simply ragged/fractured cloud beneath a parent shower/storm base.

Sometimes it can take on a 'funnel' shape and is often confused with a bonafide funnel-cloud, but the tell-tale sign to differentiate is scud will not have smooth edges like a funnel and often won't be rotating.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair Weather, Snow, Thunderstorms

@Matthew Kelly Stalbridge is only about 5 miles from me, though I didn't see anything as I was indoors at the time. Pics look interesting. Welcome to the forum!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything severe,preferably t storms

Would this be a funnel cloud,or scud guys?

Took this photo yesterday, whilst having a cigarette, just as a very heavy downpour moved away?

DSC_0663.JPG

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.
Just now, Michael Jd Scott said:

Would this be a funnel cloud,or scud guys?

Took this photo yesterday, whilst having a cigarette, just as a very heavy downpour moved away?

DSC_0663.JPG

Just normal cloud I'd say possibly scud.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

It did get brighter here. As soon as the temperature went up, showers broke out. Oh well, skip the work today I think?! :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything severe,preferably t storms

cheers mate :)

I can never be too sure 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

I have a feeling things are going to kick off soon, I have no idea what that shower over Seaton is doing but to me it's dividing the shower risk in half. LOL.

Posted
1 minute ago, jpro747 said:

@Matthew Kelly Stalbridge is only about 5 miles from me, though I didn't see anything as I was indoors at the time. Pics look interesting. Welcome to the forum!

Thankyou!  We first spotted it in Templecombe.  I'm guessing it would have been over Marnhall, Sturminster direction at the time. Shame the pics I got didn't do it true justice!

• Like 1

Posted

Absolutely ridiculous amounts of rain overnight. Lots of surface flooding. Thought we'd seen the back of it overnight only to be treated to more torrrential rain this morning. Very local. OH is managing to work outdoors today and he's only 6 miles up the road

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

BBC and Met Office seem keen to break out heavy showers (possible storms) over Lincolnshire and then moving across the N Midlands.

• Like 2

Posted
8 minutes ago, Azazel said:

Scud is simply ragged/fractured cloud beneath a parent shower/storm base.

Sometimes it can take on a 'funnel' shape and is often confused with a bonafide funnel-cloud, but the tell-tale sign to differentiate is scud will not have smooth edges like a funnel and often won't be rotating.

Yeah, my example never had the smooth edge, just ragged/fractured edges in sort of the shape of a funnel and was rising fast so wasn't sure.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual

Rain has now stopped. 

Bit brighter outside, still overcast. 

There is talk of thundery showers here, but I don't think so, the sun is yet to make an appearance.