IGNORED

End of the week & weekend storm risk

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

That does look remarkably like a wall cloud there Galway

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Great stills there @Arnie Pie and @Supacell and thanks to everyone that posted their pics and keep em coming:)

today was another bust here but i was not expecting owt anyway and there may be more opportunities to come this week for some,and.....don't forget that it is still early may and it has been a good start this year allready:)

i did get some pics of some wierd clouds yesterday evening that was showing some instability even up here and it did develope into a shower once it passed but no sferics/thunder from it

1,2 and 3 pics showing it advancing from the SE

DSC00462.JPGDSC00464.JPGDSC00465.JPG

this is the same shower but on the north side and it starting to show a rain curtain

DSC00467.JPG

and today i spotted this developing to my south but it didn't cap,oh well,another day perhaps

DSC00468.JPG

as a bonus though,i did enjoy this glorious warm weather this weekend:D

Edited by Allseasons-si
  • Like 4

Posted
17 minutes ago, DubWeatherAddict said:

Footage from Galway, Ireland . Got a seperate report of a funnel so im classing it offically as a supercell. 

Galway supercell.jpg

:shok: I thought that was a clip from the Texas plains there,great vid/pic,thanks for sharing that:good:

• Like 4

Posted

When you talk about "a cap in place" / "capping" / breaking the "cap".....

What is the "cap" or can it involve more than a single reason/ingredient/s?

It seems to be some sort of barrier/ceiling/layer? & is it always at the same height? 

When I was at Leicester Speedway earlier today, getting rid of around 50,000 gallons of puddles rainwater, I noticed some convection that basically came from nowhere, but it didn't complete, not even any rain from it, and it just seemed to dissipate to nothing... Is the "cap" the reason for its failure to get to its next stage and beyond?

Thanks in advance.......

Karl 

• Like 1

Posted
16 minutes ago, Speedway Slider said:

When you talk about "a cap in place" / "capping" / breaking the "cap".....

What is the "cap" or can it involve more than a single reason/ingredient/s?

It seems to be some sort of barrier/ceiling/layer? & is it always at the same height? 

When I was at Leicester Speedway earlier today, getting rid of around 50,000 gallons of puddles rainwater, I noticed some convection that basically came from nowhere, but it didn't complete, not even any rain from it, and it just seemed to dissipate to nothing... Is the "cap" the reason for its failure to get to its next stage and beyond?

Thanks in advance.......

Karl 

I am no expert on this but do understand some fundimental terms of it,here is a couple of links that will hopefully get you on your way:)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capping_inversion

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supercell

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convective_inhibition

Edited by Allseasons-si
  • Like 2

Posted

A cap is basically a layer of air in the atmosphere that stops air rising (ie because it's warmer than the parcel of air rising from the ground). 

This is the simplest demonstration I've seen (and introduces Skew-T charts)

https://m.facebook.com/notes/us-national-weather-service-little-rock-arkansas/what-is-a-capping-inversion-and-does-it-impact-our-weather/453868204689586/

• Like 1

Posted
15 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

I'm sure that shape looks familiar, just can't put my finger on it..

largethumb.png

A cats vs cucumbers video on YouTube?:nonono:

Edited by Harry
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms

Quite a dramatic change in 1 hour hmm...Cell1.jpgcell2.jpg

Edited by Ben Sainsbury
  • Like 2

Posted
29 minutes ago, Speedway Slider said:

I noticed some convection that basically came from nowhere, but it didn't complete, not even any rain from it, and it just seemed to dissipate to nothing... Is the "cap" the reason for its failure to get to its next stage and beyond?

Slight warming between 900-800mb and at mid-level was evident on 12z sounding analysis for Nottingham (Watnall), and GFS did model weak capping ahead of time, but mainly for eastern areas, so would have contributed to the lack of activity here.

2016050812.03354.skewt.parc.gif

But any degree of forcing - such as disturbances aloft, large scale ascent, or low-level convergence - together with sfc heating would have more than offset this. Skew-Ts for the main risk areas didn't show much warming aloft either, and CINH was rather weak, so that doesn't appear to have been the issue. Issue was simply a lack of forcing mechanisms and weak flow aloft to release marginal CAPE that built up over central and western parts.  Boundary layer wasn't as moist as yesterday either. 

• Like 4

Posted

Locking this thread now, as that's the weekend done with! I've split out posts from this morning into a new thread for the upcoming week: