Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussions 12z 03/05/2016

Posted

I know others have mentioned already but could this become more of a trend:) Let's hope Knocker has to bring out his red crayon:D

image.png

Edited by Matthew Wilson
  • Like 2

Posted

I must admit I cannot find anything in the ecm run to get excited about. Sunday to Tuesday sees us under the influence of low pressure and quite wet with periods of rain and showers. Wednesday sees a very brief transient ridge before another low moves into Scotland by Thursday morning.bringing rain to the north and quite windy. followed by another transient ridge which in turn gives way to more fronts moving into the north by Saturday morning. So by Sunday 12z we have a depression north of Scotland with the UK in a NW airstream and the next transient ridge poised. Temps for the week around average.

In other words precisely what you would expect within this upper air pattern..

Edited by knocker
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Knocker isn't impressed but sidney loved those Gefs 12z perturbations!:whistling::D

Sid.jpg.1ab63a78c27e9b45a8d40ae46cb93096.jpg

• Like 2

Posted

Actually he's more impressed with the GEFS anomaly which does show brief ridging for three days 15th-18th but the overall pattern is basically unchanged.

gefs_z500a_5d_eur_47.png

Edited by knocker
  • Like 3

Posted

This is much better than the Ecm 12z ensemble mean last night, the Azores high ridges in much stronger with increasingly fine and warm weather across the southern half of the uk from late next week onwards.. I think this is encouraging in a summer so far starved of summery weather!:)

Reem1681.gif

Reem1921.gif

Reem2161.gif

Reem2162.gif

Reem2401.gif

Reem2402.gif

• Like 2

Posted

The ecm 6-10 also shows a brief incursion of the HP although no great shakes temp wise, tentatively backed by NOAA. Before both revert to general westerly flow in the later period and with LP to the NW and HP to the SW again the tendency for a N/S split but with an indication of height rises the SE that part of the country will fair a lot better. Temps around average perhaps sightly above in the south.

ecm_eps_z500a_5d_natl_11.pngecm_eps_t850a_5d_natl_11.png610day.03.gif

814day.03.gif

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Formerly Walworth, SE17 ; Swansea SA1 since Dec 2008

I keep trying to understand the disacrepancies between knocker's anomaly charts, and charts posted by Frosty and others today, which do seem to show distinct increases in HP influence or even actual usefulness! for summer lovers -- in the South at least.

Are short term run-to-run charts utterly unimportant compared to longer-period NOAA caution? I know John H would say yes, and knocker too, but I still don't get how big the discrepancy is today.

Or is NOAA anomaly a 'lagging indicator' as they say in economics?

Edited by William of Walworth

Posted

More pragmatically/personally, our weekend from next Thursday (near Trowbridge) would rule our world if most of Frosty's charts above end up being confirmed(ish).

Especially after the failed HP influx that was at one point starting to be predicted for the last weekend of June for the S ... but which never turned up!.....

More runs needed, FI unreliable,  etc etc but still!

Posted
24 minutes ago, William of Walworth said:

I keep trying to understand the disacrepancies between knocker's anomaly charts, and charts posted by Frosty and others today, which do seem to show distinct increases in HP influence or even actual usefulness! for summer lovers -- in the South at least.

Are short term run-to-run charts utterly unimportant compared to longer-period NOAA caution? I know John H would say yes, and knocker too, but I still don't get how big the discrepancy is today.

Or is NOAA anomaly a 'lagging indicator' as they say in economics?

The anomaly charts at 500mb, the 3 you see me regularly quote are 'mean' charts at that height for the 6-10 day period and with NOAA only also for the 8-14 day period. So one has to be very careful how one uses them and then suggests what the overall weather might be. With care they are a very useful tool to give a good indication, in excess of 70% accuracy, for what the upper air pattern will be for much of the period being quoted. Obviously in some cases the actual weather will be somewhat different to them. A spell of 24-48 hours with more emphasis on either settled or unsettled is quite possible to get within a somewhat different overall pattern. Like I say they are very useful IF used carefully and with the success rate first shown several years ago but still showing much the same accuracy now.

Hope that helps William. Please use my pm if you want to ask any questions. I am always happy to talk weather.

Edited by johnholmes
  • Like 4

Posted
11 minutes ago, William of Walworth said:

More pragmatically/personally, our weekend from next Thursday (near Trowbridge) would rule our world if most of Frosty's charts above end up being confirmed(ish).

Well I'm seeing some positive signs William, certainly the ecm and gefs mean have improved so hopefully some fine and warmer weather isn't too far away, at least for the south of the UK but we have an unsettled and cooler spell to get through first...fingers crossed for the rest of this summer. :- )

• Like 1

Posted

Thanks John -- very informative-- and Frosty.

I may well take you up on that PM suggestion before too long John, but for now ... keep the synoptic updates coming, everybody. Very educative and interesting..

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, William of Walworth said:

Thanks John -- very informative-- and Frosty.

No worries William :-)

• Like 1

Posted

A fairly cloudy and muggy day today for many in a moist SW airstream before rain arrives during the early hours of Saturday.

As for next week the GFS has us under the influence of low pressure centred to the north until Thursday So probably a showery regime with temps below average.Then a transient ridge/HP moves slowly east and is influential until Sunday, certainly in England, bringing some warmer temps (average or a little above) and drier conditions. This then gives way to a westerly regime for the rest of the run with periods of wind and rain but best ignored as in this mobile set up it will no doubt be all change in the next run.

ens_mean1hourlyprecip_38.pnggfs_6hr_precip_eur3_25.pnggfs_6hr_precip_eur3_40.png

Edited by knocker
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

GFS and Euro want to bring a transient ridge over the UK from days 7-9 which may please some however to be honest, the rest of the 0z run is pretty awful. 

Indeed GEM does not even go for the ridge really..

GEMOPEU00_240_1.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

GFS and ECM are keen to bring in a brief interlude of high pressure by day 8....how long this lasts, or even if it builds in at all. I guess our best hope is that it does build, and the models are overcooking the low pressure influence after.

Posted

The ecm best described as very unsettled with the usual interplay between the HP and LP Temp varying around the average depending which phase we are in. Be afraid, be very afraid.

ecm_t850_anom_natl_9.png

• Like 1

Posted
40 minutes ago, knocker said:

The ecm best described as very unsettled with the usual interplay between the HP and LP Temp varying around the average depending which phase we are in. Be afraid, be very afraid.

ecm_t850_anom_natl_9.png

This is what sidney thinks of knockers chart above:D

3618d8b26e37a408de868c9d528c3ebe.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and....a bit more snow
On 2 July 2016 at 10:48, knocker said:

Thank you Tamara for that wonderfully concise update on the current woeful conditions ... It certainly feels like this Summer is going to be particularly unremarkable in terms of any decent spells. Feels very much like a rinse and repeat type of Summer and the wonderful weather ( up here) of June seems a lifetime away now!

I wonder if the current patterns will have any influence when it comes to the Autumn and then Winter weather.

Edited by DR(S)NO
Can't attach correct post
  • Like 2

Posted

The Gfs 6z op run shows an increasingly cool unsettled spell in the short term but then high pressure builds in from the southwest  through the second half of next week with increasingly fine and warm weather, especially further south. There is another changeable blip in low res which is followed by more high pressure and warmth.. considering the way this summer has turned out so far, this run should be welcomed!:)

h500slp.png

h500slp (1).png

h500slp (2).png

ukmaxtemp.png

h500slp (3).png

ukmaxtemp (1).png

ukmaxtemp (2).png

h500slp (4).png

h500slp (5).png

h500slp (6).png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.
1 hour ago, Frosty. said:

Meanwhile the Eastern US is having a wonderful heatwave while our summer goes from horrible to worse.. they get all the heat in summer and all the snow in winter while we get never ending Atlantic muck!

650x366_07071713_friday_realfeel.jpg

Indeed Frosty and look at Arctic Siberia's expected afternoon temperatures over the next few days as per the GFS.

gfsnh-9-30.pnggfsnh-9-54.pnggfsnh-9-78.png

hard to take when they are so much further north!

See the cool plunge of air modeled over our side of the Atlantic via that upper trough.

gfsnh-0-72.png

Now we know where our Summer heat has gone.

• Like 3

Posted
10 minutes ago, phil nw. said:

Indeed Frosty and look at Arctic Siberia's expected afternoon temperatures over the next few days as per the GFS.

gfsnh-9-30.pnggfsnh-9-54.pnggfsnh-9-78.png

hard to take when they are so much further north!

See the cool plunge of air modeled over our side of the Atlantic via that upper trough.

gfsnh-0-72.png

Now we know where our Summer heat has gone.

I'm just gobsmacked by the bad luck we are still having. .no winter, no spring and so far. No summer. Surely it can't go on like this month after month!:closedeyes:

• Like 2

Posted

Time for some good news, despite the awful summer we are experiencing, the GEFS 6z mean shows high pressure ridging in later next week which lasts into week 2 with a spell of settled and warm weather, at least across the south of the UK. Further on the Azores highs influence does wax and wane but shows occasional spells of settled and warm weather, again, more so further south.

21_144_500mb.png

21_168_500mb.png

21_192_500mb.png

21_216_500mb.png

21_288_500mb.png

21_312_500mb.png

21_336_500mb.png

Posted

Looking closer at the GEFS 6z perturbations, almost all of them show high pressure either building in or already centred over the UK by T+168 hours so a spell of generally settled and warm weather could be  just a week away, in the meantime the next few days look warm across the s /e. :- )

0_168_500mb.png

1_168_500mb.png

3_168_500mb.png

4_168_500mb.png

5_168_500mb.png

6_168_500mb.png

8_168_500mb.png

9_168_500mb.png

10_168_500mb.png

11_168_500mb.png

12_168_500mb.png

13_168_500mb.png