Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussions 12z 03/05/2016

Posted
38 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

ECM is joining the party for next week sending up some very warm to hot air

ECU0-216.GIF?17-0

And another model goes for the jugular... trying to think of reasons why this might be wrong ... likely that ECM has overdone heights to the north, preventing the northwards movement of the Atlantic low - if it has that wrong then CS's idea of south-easterly corrections could be right.

The last week has been a reminder of how hard it is to get a plume to the UK. South to north flows are easy to interrupt (and vice versa). 

But the direction of travel today has been towards the plume reaching at least the SE. 

Many more runs needed!

Edited by Man With Beard
  • Like 2

Posted
38 minutes ago, knocker said:

A quick look at the NOAA 6-10. Also showing some nice amplification so could be interesting. I'll need to pop down to see Sidney in the morning.

610day.03.gif

That's one whopper of a positive AO for August ......

ECH101-192_rfu0.GIF

.... must look back the 'compare year' feature in the Meteociel archives - they now go back to 1871!

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/archives/archives.php?day=17&month=8&hour=12&map=4&mode=1&type=ncep&region=

• Like 6

Posted
58 minutes ago, knocker said:

A quick look at the NOAA 6-10. Also showing some nice amplification so could be interesting. I'll need to pop down to see Sidney in the morning.

610day.03.gif

On the brink of being mega for heat ... and on the brink of not being, too.

ECM ensemble 500mb charts looking similar to the op - that's significant imo. 

• Like 3

Posted

The EPS anomaly is not dissimilar and the upper air pattern is conducive to some transient heat but it's very much a knife edge scenario as any slight adjustment to the upper air would have the significant WAA move east

ecm_eps_z500a_natl_9.pngecm_eps_t850_natl_9.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Formerly Walworth, SE17 ; Swansea SA1 since Dec 2008
  • Location: Formerly Walworth, SE17 ; Swansea SA1 since Dec 2008

Just idly wondering  what would make any heat of that kind become less transient? Could that kife-edge situation head in either direction? I guess the form-horse for now would be for any influx of any serious heat over the UK to weaken and cover less territory.

Personally I prefer less hot and with a more stable/settled/longer-lived HP controlled/influenced outlook, but I think prospects for this immediate weekend followed (perhaps) by drier weather returning after the weekend, are influencing my view a tad on that!

Edited by William of Walworth
  • Like 1

Posted

Any fans of heat need to tune into the GFS 18Z op run right now. It's out to T162 so far and it's taking the definition of global warming to a whole new level. Don't believe it just yet though...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

Looks like a very deep low over the pole for the time of year

ecm3.png

Edited by TomDav

Posted

Today

Last day of the fine spell for all as the depression moves in. Cloudy in west and quite muggy. Thick fog here at the moment.

accumprecip_d02_49.pngtemperature_d02_31.png

Talking of knife edges the GFS this morning

The depression, and associated fronts, duly arrive on the scene tomorrow and is centred over northern Scotland by 18z on Saturday. Thus a wet and windy couple of days with the strongest winds in the south. The low continues to drift east and fronts associated with a new  depression tracking NE to be south of Iceland (not a million miles away from the old ocean weather station India)  quickly arrive on the scene bringing more wet weather for Sunday.

Now this where we have the variation from previous runs. This low now tracks east to be west of the Hebrides 988mb by 00z Tuesday. I think it worth noting here the position of the upper in relation to previous forecasts. It's now positively inclined and this makes a huge difference to the surface evolution.

gfs_z500a_natl_26.png

The low continues to track east and slowly fill allowing the Azores ridge to extend into the UK from the south west and not an unpleasant few days for most. Of course there is nothing to say this interpretation is on the money but you wouldn't bet the house on it not being in the right ball park. The ecm may be of some interest this morning.

.gfs_6hr_precip_eur3_12.pnggfs_6hr_precip_eur3_21.pnggfs_6hr_precip_eur3_29.png

Aquick look t the GEFS anomaly and it has similar alignment of the upper trough.

Edited by knocker
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, Thunderstorms, Snow

After yesterday's runs, GFS is like the morning after a great evening and night out. A hangover and the idea it was a good night but not much more to go forward! 

UKMO not bad!

ECM prone to fail with that precarious flash of heat. 

• Like 1

Posted

Well good luck with picking the bones out of this morning's runs.

The ecm evolution next week is complete different to the GFS. Until they sort out the upper air pattern into some sort of agreement then divergence will continue. As it happens the ecm is fairly consistent to last night for a while and slowly drifts the main Atlantic low south creating a slack area of pressure over the UK and some not too bad temps in the SE quadrant and it ridges HP NE before tracking frontal systems in again from the SW by the end of the run. I think all of this best left in the pending file for 24 hours.

ecm_z500_anom_natl_7.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

ECM gives further opportunities for very warm or hot temperatures during next week

Recm1442.gifRecm1682.gifRecm1922.gifRecm2162.gifRecm2402.gif

UKMO doesn't look too bad into next week once this weekend's unsettled blip is out the way

Rukm1201.gifRukm1441.gif

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Another rather cool and cloudy day dawns in Central Europe. Fairly high confidence of a strengthening of the Euro ridge over the coming days and should miss worse of the UK weekend depression. Could be a nice week for much of Western/ and Central Europe next week with some late summer sunshine and warmth.  Long overdue in these parts.

C

• Like 1

Posted

Only 2 out of 22 ensembles do not reach 19C at 850hpa over the UK by D8. That is truly staggering.

It's a big change from the 00Z run where such hot runs were slightly in the minority. Also, the ECM ens strongly suggest the really hot air will stay just over the channel.

With this sinking trough to our west scenario, I expect the ECM op to lead the way between T96 and T144. Recent runs suggest the trough will be far enough to the west for most of the UK to be dry and sunny for most of next week, and a toss up over whether that means low 80s or mid 90s for the SE. 

In the more unreliable T168-T192, the ECM op seems keen to bring hot air back in from the SE. I think we're 48 hours away from the evolution for later in the week yet. 

Edited by Man With Beard
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

We certainly can't rule out a hot spell next week as the postage stamps from the 06z show - a week today is shown below

CqI_pBxXgAA1lel.jpg

• Like 6

Posted

I've just come in and rather foolishly I glanced at the outputs. No big surprise with the GFS as it's now realigned the upper trough back to neutral.and we are back to some WAA and very warm temps next week..

gfs_z500a_natl_26.pnggfs_z500a_natl_27.png

Given that the general trend, also with regard to the EPS, seems to be to orientate the trough in a favourable position with some decent amplification vis the ridge to the east, conditions are becoming quite favourable for two or three days of quite warm weather in the south next week.

• Like 7

Posted

One thing's for sure, it certainly won't be cool next week with that trough setting up camp to our west. How warm is still open to question, but it's looking very promising, particularly the further south and east you are. It's looking like it could turn out to be a very warm second half of August- something we haven't seen for a long time.

• Like 8

Posted

from Tamara

The synoptic response to further falling angular momentum as reflected by Phase 1 GWO would be the de-amplifying of heights over NW Europe and mean that the amplified ridge in the western Atlantic becomes the main player further east and invites (relatively) much cooler air from the west or north west and quite possibly less settled in general too.

However, as mentioned in the last post, much can interfere with these processes whichever way, not least hurricane development and trajectory beginning well away in the tropical southern Atlantic that can never be modelled reliably at any range.

I think the above 2 paragraphs are pretty important as to whether much of the UK gets a late summer heat spell or a cooler flow from N of West. To me I would back the latter option at the moment, I stress at the moent. The anomaly charts I use, taking us out almost to the end of August are below.

http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/ECMWF_0z/hgtcomp.html

They do not show a huge amount of similarity in how the major troughs/ridges are aligned.

NOAA below, and it has, over the last 2 days, very slightly increased the +ve signal in the western Atlantic as well as showing just a slight indication of ridging in the same area.

Of course all it needs is one of these, link below to get into the North Atlantic proper and all best (sorry forecasts will be off).

Interesting trying to decide just how the BH weather will turn out for most of us.

http://www.cpc.noaa.gov/products/predictions/610day/500mb.php

And just for another slant the latest Met O 6-15 day outlook. To me they appear to be trending by BH weekend to a NW-SE split with the changeable weather extending SE in that period? I may have misinterpreted it though?

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast

apologies to the team for putting an actual forecast in but I hope I have entered enough model comment to let folk see the Met O output in model context?

• Like 7

Posted

Could nearly the last week of August be the warmest of the whole summer? The stalling of the Low resembles something like July 2006 had. Certainly a chance of the warmest summer scenario coming to fruition:good:

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Edited by Matthew Wilson
  • Like 8

Posted

Right, it's that time again - it's ridiculous GEFS outlier of the evening. 

gens-8-0-138.png

This is the coolest overall chart I could find. The 16C 850hpa line barely touches the SW. Temperatures may not even reach 28C ...

now for the mean chart... :-0 :-0 :-0

gens-21-1-120.png  gens-21-0-156.png  graphe3_1000_306_141___Londres.gif

Getting towards 50/50 odds that the 20C 850hpa line will cross the UK now.

• Like 8