Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussions 12z 03/05/2016

Posted

The ecm also has the fronts from the next low arriving in the south west early Friday and has the centre of the low over northern England 992mb by midday Saturday. So a wet and windy couple of days with possible gales in the south. The low clears away east and there is brief ridging behind it before fronts from the next low traverse the country on Monday. The ecm runs this low further north before tracking it east which allows the Azores to impose itself and bringing some fair weather in England before the next system arrives on Thursday.

ecm_mslp_uv850_eur_5.png

Edited by knocker
  • Like 1

Posted
11 hours ago, William of Walworth said:

From those charts above from knocker : Utter weekend washout for many parts. Probably a Glasto-level (?) mudbath in the SW (near Exeter) -- where we'll be at our penmulitmiate van/festival outing this season.

I see little if any chance right now of those fronts tracking further North. Is my pessimism for a writeoff weekend nailed on, more or less, by now?

Or are 'further runs needed'??

For you, maybe, if you take those charts at face value.  However, it's worth noting that (again taking those charts at face value) the country, aside from Wales and the SW, avoid the rain as the front stalls in, er, Wales and the SW.  Perhaps not the washout weekend for most that many are predicting?  Indeed, presumably there would be quite a draw of warm air ahead of the front leading to rather high temperatures in any sunshine, particularly on Saturday when cloud from the system seems less likely to have an effect on the benefitting areas of the country.  Better in the east for the same reason, perhaps?

I looked at the BBC charts and thought we were in for a bit of a horror show weekend but, from a IMBY perspective, I'm not so sure looking at Knocker's charts.

I'd be very hesitant to look beyond the weekend at the moment.  Models are often mistaken (sometimes over-progressive) in slow moving or stalled systems and I'd suggest that pretty much anything could happen - always fun looking at the scenarios though.  35C for EA maybe??

• Like 1

No real point in attempting to put lipstick on a pig, the 06 GFS is an absolute out and out stinker, effectively writing off the final fortnight of meteorological summer IF proven even close to being correct. August is currently looking a classic game of two halves, the 1st being considerably better than the 2nd!!

Edited by coldcomfort
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings
5 minutes ago, coldcomfort said:

No real point in attempting to put lipstick on a pig, the 06 GFS is an absolute out and out stinker, effectively writing off the final fortnight of meteorological summer IF proven even close to being correct. August is currently looking a classic game of two halves, the 1st being considerably better than the 2nd!!

Certainly not great, but not without interest (in the south anyway):

gfsnh-0-192.png?6

30C+ although it doesn't last.

• Like 2

Posted
55 minutes ago, coldcomfort said:

Some of us like pigs lol :-). Personally looking forward to some  autumnal rain and gales.

Edited by No Balls Like Snow Balls
  • Like 4

Posted

It's good to see a more settled and warmer spell shown on the 06z compared to the 0z early next week after this weekends brief but much needed rain in the south. Just compare the charts and you will see.Certainly a more positive picture for those looking for a warmer end to August. 

h500slp-8.png

h500slp-9.png

h500slp-10.png

h500slp-20.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, No Balls Like Snow Balls said:

Some of us like pigs lol :-). Personally looking forward to some  autumnal rain and gales.

Risky admission...:yahoo:Anyway to each their own - fine, dry and warm means I make money, unsettled with rain or showers means I lose money....so it's a no brainer for me!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.
7 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Just for fun

Cp_G1NqWcAATcC3.jpg

Never say never!

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, mark blackpool said:

Would that temperature actually be possible to achieve late August given the correct set up?

Possibly, you would need some serious mechanics to get it though and crystal clear skies from the word go.

It's not Un heard of to have some proper heat mid to late August as the sun is still very strong.. In fact until mid September the sun is cooking.

The 06z is toying with us and would expect it to dull down a little.

At this stage though it's a rinse and repeat. The rinse being the weekend. But any rain is very very welcome down here in the parched south!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
5 minutes ago, mark blackpool said:

Would that temperature actually be possible to achieve late August given the correct set up?

It's possible but as said above we need sunshine for the word go we got 30c at the start of October a few year back I think so the mid to high 30's in late August is certainly achievable if everything was right

• Like 4

Posted

This comment in the post above by Tamara is very valid, and probably so for a good few weeks to come

We have the wildcard of seasonal hurricane development within an environment of an enhanced sub tropical jet flow and continued tropical convection signal in the Pacific. That is plenty enough to ponder over and discourage any sweeping generalisations on detail for the next 10 days, let alone the rest of the month

Whenever a Tropical Storm or Hurricane get into the Atlantic then every model, short or longer term struggles to cope with the enormous amounts of moisture and energy they put into the northern hemisphere area. Forecast acuracy at any length becomes almost woeful at times. But it does make for interesting model watching whichever model type any of us spend most time with. For the anomaly charts then when this happens I just take a break from trying to predict 6-14 days ahead!

Edited by johnholmes
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
1 hour ago, mark blackpool said:

There was a time, I believe (I'm almost sure I read it somewhere) when 32C was far more common in early September than it is nowadays...As to why such temps, at that time of year, no longer seem to occur, I have absolutely no idea whatsoever...Anyone else?:D

• Like 1

Posted

Despite the recent trend to better Septembers recently, I have a feeling that there is also a trend from the traditional end-of-season plume to miss us. This current little teaser is trending the same way - compare the ensembles for London and Paris, and you'll see the latter is far more likely to swelter while we might reach for the jumper (if the cooler cluster is right).

graphe3_1000_306_141___Londres.gif  graphe3_1000_394_284___Paris.gif

The uncertainty in where this plume is going is summed up in the spreads - a green colour for 850s means a high uncertainty over what the ensemble mean predicts (a pretty similar picture between GEFS and ECM given the timeframe)

EDM0-216.GIF?16-12  gens-21-0-204.png  EEM0-216.GIF?16-12  gens-22-0-204.png

Meaning France in particular could be much hotter or much cooler, with the far SE of England perhaps also in the big swing-zone too.

So charts like this seem within the bounds of expectation

gens-14-0-216.png

but this one doesn't at the moment

gens-20-0-240.png

Still - at T216, most of the op runs and ensembles were quite a way out for this week's (eventually quite feeble) plume. So while the ensembles throw up these situations, who knows?? The clear trend is to lower heights towards Biscay next week, and that puts us in the game for a plume, with details to follow by, oh, about T96? ;)

Lastly one for Knocker, remember the ECM predicting 22C for Barnstaple? Nowhere near: http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/weather/maps/current?R=310&LEVEL=140&ART=temperatur&WMO=03707&LANG=en&SI=mph&CEL=C

• Like 3

Posted

Still looks rainy and humid in long range ECMWF,  it has been only 2-3 days with sun from the morning until late evening in August, last year was much better for almost whole west Europé this time of the year. Still the chances of a couple of days with temperatures above 25 degrees are 40-45% so i wish for a big high pressure as we go into September

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, mark blackpool said:

Although it will not happen, it's basically just as feasible as it is on August 10th, when it happened in 2003. With the right synoptics it's definitely possible- it's getting them that's the issue and what makes it so unlikely. 35C+ has been recorded in September before and as we saw in 2011, 30C is possible right into the start of October.

The 850 hPa temperatures are the crucial factor- the strength of the sun is secondary to this. There is still a lot of heat around on the Continent and the Med well into September and often beyond in most years.

• Like 1

Posted
38 minutes ago, knocker said:

I thought it was Croydon. :shok: It was the figure for Croydon high street that I gave you.

It was Croyde, not Croydon! You know, north Devon.

Now to stop expectations rocketing unrealistically like perhaps I was partly responsible for last week, I have decided not to post more than one ridiculously hot chart per day if they are for FI (T120 +)

gfs-1-186.png?12

(...oops, sorry, my finger slipped)

• Like 3

Still no real point in attempting to put lipstick on a pig, the 12 GFS is another out and out stinker bar a rogue and very unlikely plume, so IF it verifies we can pretty much write off the final fortnight of meteorological summer...or am I simply guilty of putting another unduly negative slant on things?

Posted
2 hours ago, johnholmes said:

Whenever a Tropical Storm or Hurricane get into the Atlantic then every model, short or longer term struggles to cope with the enormous amounts of moisture and energy they put into the northern hemisphere area. Forecast acuracy at any length becomes almost woeful at times. But it does make for interesting model watching whichever model type any of us spend most time with. For the anomaly charts then when this happens I just take a break from trying to predict 6-14 days ahead!

Maybe time for the feet up and a cuppa then.:DGFS has two huricanes in the Atlantic from about 7 days on. Do you reckon the modelling is messed up by the virtual appearance or is it only when the hurricane is actually formed that the models struggle?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

I wouldn't right anything off as yet. The speed the hot spell disappeared shows that what the models show isn't down in concrete at within the T96 time period is still good time point to get excited or unexcited depending on what you like. Add in hurricanes and the reliable time frame may drop well below T96.