Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Why is India so filthy?

Posted

Been to India and found it the filthiest place I have ever been to. Not sure why they can't be bothered. Not as if they are short of labour. 

I found it really off putting as did my fellow travellers. 

You would think they would wish to encourage tourism.

s

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

really?

try your local and do a test, you will be suprised at what they find.

Posted
11 hours ago, Jax said:

really?

try your local and do a test, you will be suprised at what they find.

Really yes. Ever been to India?  There might be some rubbish/litter around a pub or local take away but generally cleared. It does not lie in drifts covering a whole town or city plus the countryside. 

Photo below taken at Cochin at one of their principal tourist locations. Whichever way you look it is the same. Short of using Photoshop rubbish is dominant in your photos. 

image.jpeg

Edited by Snipper
Spelling

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.

This is one of the biggest issue I've got with society, It's not just India, there are plenty of places in the world where people don't give a sh*t about their environment.. I don't understand what's going on in their heads?  

Posted

We do have an increasing problem in this country  with roadsides covered in cans, bottles and more thrown from vehicles.
Locally a particular problem is groups of cyclists doing training runs who swig lucozade while descending hills and throw the bottles in the ditch.
They can carry a full bottle but just too much trouble to take the empty one back?

Volunteers picked up all this thrown on the verge on Blakey Ridge since last year about now when it was done before the Tour de Yorkshire.
No doubt as much again blew away into the heather.

ChM3ULRWgAAaVps.jpg

• Like 2

Posted

Some of the worst offenders park at a pretty spot or viewpoint - have a picnic even if sat in the car - then just drop everything out in a pile for the wind to scatter all ways.
It's unbelievable really.
It has crossed my mind that this has got much worse the past decade since we have far more immigrants.
What else has *changed* ?  Do parents no longer tell their kids not to drop litter - because they do it too?

Edited by 4wd

Posted

Fortunately some of us are prepared to do something about the problem. Although it really goes against the grain to clear up after other people. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms
On 5/2/2016 at 14:24, 4wd said:

We do have an increasing problem in this country  with roadsides covered in cans, bottles and more thrown from vehicles.
Locally a particular problem is groups of cyclists doing training runs who swig lucozade while descending hills and throw the bottles in the ditch.
They can carry a full bottle but just too much trouble to take the empty one back?

Volunteers picked up all this thrown on the verge on Blakey Ridge since last year about now when it was done before the Tour de Yorkshire.
No doubt as much again blew away into the heather.

ChM3ULRWgAAaVps.jpg

How sad that cyclists would do that. Most of us use mounted refillable drink bottles and some use hydration backpacks. For me, cycling is all about immersing yourself in the natural world. Why on earth would you want to defile it?

Regarding India, I haven't been there, but I would explain the situation in terms of people grabbing onto consumerism but not yet having a "sense of place". It will come as the country develops, but hopefully not too late.

Have you read this story, by the way: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-36211895 we're not a great species, are we?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Oh come on guys - I think the UK is dirtier than most other European countries but India is undeniably a filthy country with very poor sanitation, most houses without plumbing, sewage flowing openly and diseases rampant.

Just because someone points out that another country falls short in one area, doesn't mean you have to come out and say 'Yeah well the UK is worse!!' - what does that achieve exactly? I doubt the OP is trying to sound superior - just pointing out what is obvious to anyone with eyes, and a nose.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms
21 hours ago, cheese said:

Oh come on guys - I think the UK is dirtier than most other European countries but India is undeniably a filthy country with very poor sanitation, most houses without plumbing, sewage flowing openly and diseases rampant.

Just because someone points out that another country falls short in one area, doesn't mean you have to come out and say 'Yeah well the UK is worse!!' - what does that achieve exactly? I doubt the OP is trying to sound superior - just pointing out what is obvious to anyone with eyes, and a nose.

This is a little old, but nothing has changed. I was talking about this with my students last week. The saddest part of the problem (for me) is the number of rapes on women who have to urinate in as secluded place as possible. The lack of sanitary towels and tampons is also a grim fact of life. Like all developing countries, India has the rich and powerful who never worry about popping to the "bog" and never worry about those who have not got one. It'll change, but very very slowly...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

I have been to a few countries and cities, and while some look 'clean' a nose at the alleys tell a different story, even where i lived you could smell the rotten food some restaurants had dumped and being near the sea it was very fishy.

The london underground smells of nothing but yellow liquid as does many lifts and the old style phone booths.  

It must be hard living in such hot countries, no sanitation , would you clean in 40c temps? However, I wouldn't go to india as a holiday. I had a Boss who often went saying what a beautiful country it was -loving the food, the atmosphere -and one year ended up so ill he was off a week, and a work partner of bubs came back so sick he was on strong medication just so he could leave the bathroom.

no thanks.

Posted

Too right. 

Why do people feel it it to be OK to drop their rubbish with impunity. Stronger controls by government needed? We all know what a crowd of wimps they are. 

Singapore seems somewhat ideal albeit somewhat dictorial. Chewing gum is banned. For those who can only function if chewing the cud can't you change your disgusting habit without continually gobbing onto the ground!  

How many Amercans can only function if they are chew like some old cow?