Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Sign in to follow this  
Spikecollie

Medical issues

9 hours ago, ciel said:

I attended a work related "discussion group" in unpaid time today ( despite sore ribs )

A colleague, a former teacher, also legal qualified, by way of diversion, gave a brief post lunch discourse on her experience of dealing with her autistic child. It was very informative, she had accessed, privately, so many non NHS resources in order to understand and respond to the child's needs.:wallbash:

However, it concerned me that she, and three others in the group of around 20 supported the view that the MMR vaccine was in some way responsible .for the condition. 

Bit my lip.

You showed admirable restraint ciel, did you draw blood? It is indeed worrying that three out of twenty still think this in view of all the scientific evidence refuting any connection. There does appear to be another ground swell of the anti vaccination lobby of late with measles once again on the increase in some areas.

2 hours ago, knocker said:

You showed admirable restraint ciel, did you draw blood? It is indeed worrying that three out of twenty still think this in view of all the scientific evidence refuting any connection. There does appear to be another ground swell of the anti vaccination lobby of late with measles once again on the increase in some areas.

Sadly there does seem to be more and more people jumping onto the anti-vax band waggon.  My cousin is one such and is very vocal in how were are all wrong in vaccinating our children etc.  Think it is very much because, due to vaccinations, people of my generation and younger have not seen the horrors that these diseases can cause and therefore think they are no longer serious.  People in older generations such as my mum can remember isolation wards and seeing people ending up in wheelchairs due to Polio, smallpox killing hundreds if not thousands etc and are grateful that vaccinations have stopped these diseases being so verilant. 

I agree I think @ciel was very restrained, not sure I could have been.

On 12/10/2017 at 18:00, Daniel* said:

Lucky few eh :shok:

My poor mum nearly got crushed to death today! On her way to the hospital the irony a large slab of concrete fell vertical from height, possibly from a construction site but she said she had no idea where it originated from. And she was a mere 3ft from where it impacted with a terrific noise - she was shaken but glad to report she's all fine. God was watching over her..

Wow - are the authorities investigating?  Is she OK  emotionally - these things can have delayed effects at times?

2 minutes ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

Wow - are the authorities investigating?  Is she OK  emotionally - these things can have delayed effects at times?

She's a tough cookie I know folk would have pursued it but she does not want the 'hassle'. She was just happy getting out of that incident alive. 

12 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

She's a tough cookie I know folk would have pursued it but she does not want the 'hassle'. She was just happy getting out of that incident alive. 

Glad to hear it.  I wasn't referring to suing anyone but from the POV of the Police or HSE.  Mysterious crash-landing concrete slabs are a matter of concern.:shok:

Nothing major but for quite a while now I have been bothered by excessive itching with no obvious rash. It's worse in some areas, the back being one, which is double annoying as I'm constantly in danger of dislocating a shoulder attempting to have a good scratch.

Just happened to read an article in the Times just now,by Dr Mark Porter: That urge to scratch could be a sign that you are seriously ill, in which he said this:

The problem is so common that the British Association of Dermatologists (BAD) has produced new guidance for doctors on how to manage itching (pruritus) in the absence of an obvious skin disorder. About one in six adults in the UK complains of some degree of chronic itching and in at least one in ten of those cases there will be no visible cause. And the older you are, the more likely you are to be affected. So what can you do about it?

Central to the new guidance is the need to identify the 20-30 per cent of cases where the itching may be the only outward sign of an underlying medical issue, ranging from a side-effect of prescribed medication, to mineral deficiencies and liver disease. Fix that and you should relieve the itching.

In people on regular medication I like to start with their pills. Common culprits highlighted in the BAD guidance include opioid based painkillers (codeine, morphine etc), ACE inhibitors used to treat high blood pressure (eg ramipril and perindopril) and cholesterol-lowering statins such as atorvastatin and simvastatin.

Guess who has been taking ramipril and atorvastatin for ages?

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/times2/dr-mark-porter-are-you-always-scratching-dont-ignore-it-xwzgktvk9

Edited by knocker

1 hour ago, knocker said:

Nothing major but for quite a while now I have been bothered by excessive itching with no obvious rash. It's worse in some areas, the back being one, which is double annoying as I'm constantly in danger of dislocating a shoulder attempting to have a good scratch.

Just happened to read an article in the Times just now,by Dr Mark Porter: That urge to scratch could be a sign that you are seriously ill, in which he said this:

Guess who has been taking ramipril and atorvastatin for ages?

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/times2/dr-mark-porter-are-you-always-scratching-dont-ignore-it-xwzgktvk9

I suffered from Rosacea a couple of years ago - no clear reason but I'm not sure there ever is, that was itchy and really quite annoying. various potions and creams from Dermatologists only partially addressed the problem, until someone suggested Dermol 200 shower emollient - almost asymptomatic now... https://www.weldricks.co.uk/products/dermol-200-shower-emollient-200ml

2 hours ago, JeffC said:

I suffered from Rosacea a couple of years ago - no clear reason but I'm not sure there ever is, that was itchy and really quite annoying. various potions and creams from Dermatologists only partially addressed the problem, until someone suggested Dermol 200 shower emollient - almost asymptomatic now... https://www.weldricks.co.uk/products/dermol-200-shower-emollient-200ml

I've tried Dermol 500 and currently trying Zerobase but with little affect. I think there is a certain amount of trial and error with this always assuming there is no underlying problem of course.

39 minutes ago, knocker said:

I've tried Dermol 500 and currently trying Zerobase but with little affect. I think there is a certain amount of trial and error with this always assuming there is no underlying problem of course.

Indeed, need to be sure there's nothing underlying going on... 

Opioids, injections and scans of 'dubious benefit' harming 540 million back pain sufferers worldwide

Most cases respond to exercise and psychological support but 'aggressive' treatment too often promoted

Hundreds of millions of back pain patients worldwide are being aggressively treated with strong opioid painkillers, surgery and scans of “dubious benefit”, doctors have warned.

Lower back pain (LBP) has been identified as the leading cause of disability globally. It affects 540 million people and is made worse by mistreatment habits.

This includes injections, emergency room visits and medical advice that patients should take time off work and rest, when all the evidence points to staying active as the best remedy.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/opioid-back-pain-surgery-injections-doctors-treatment-useless-worldwide-study-lancet-a8267321.html

The best thing I ever took (by sheer coincidence) for nasty back-pain was Mary Warner...100% cured within 5 minutes!

14 hours ago, Sparkiee storm said:

By doing many of these, I reckon anyone would feel much better in many ways 

29511457_1231497070314943_6729883686943883042_n.jpg

Do you think that might cure the sudden urge I often feel to punch someone? Managers and politicians often feature.

On 22/03/2018 at 10:22, Ed Stone said:

The best thing I ever took (by sheer coincidence) for nasty back-pain was Mary Warner...100% cured within 5 minutes!

Didn't she have a couple of film making male siblings?

On ‎30‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 07:42, JeffC said:

Do you think that might cure the sudden urge I often feel to punch someone? Managers and politicians often feature.

Managers and politicians (especially politicians), need some sense knocking into them so you don't need to cure that haha

Anyone had radio therapy?  Considered review please. Hopefully some positive comments. 

I have had a pain in my right wrist with some problems gripping for some time now but nothing that was a major problem. But last evening it suddenly worsened and the pain was something else and now the wrist is quite swollen. I couldn't sleep so I got up and swallowed some paracetamol which has eased the pain a tad. Having done the usual web search it looks like a struggle up to the pharmacy is on the cards. Apart from the pain it's quite awkward with the main hand out of action.

As I was up anyway I got on with a a MOD post. Just about finished it when the computer froze and I lost the lot. No way was I ploughing through it all again. :)

3 hours ago, knocker said:

I have had a pain in my right wrist with some problems gripping for some time now but nothing that was a major problem. But last evening it suddenly worsened and the pain was something else and now the wrist is quite swollen. I couldn't sleep so I got up and swallowed some paracetamol which has eased the pain a tad. Having done the usual web search it looks like a struggle up to the pharmacy is on the cards. Apart from the pain it's quite awkward with the main hand out of action.

As I was up anyway I got on with a a MOD post. Just about finished it when the computer froze and I lost the lot. No way was I ploughing through it all again. :)

Sorry to here of your problem Knocker.

I have a golfing mate who suffered thee same problem without warning, only recently.

He put it down to playing the day before, but was not convinced. 

He went to the hospital as he thought he may have broken /sprained it.

They could not find anything, but could see the swollen tissues in the scan (not sure which type) and put it in a sling and told him to rest it for 3weeks. After one week it was nearly better and by 2 weeks it had gone.

It could be similar  to the problem of the foot called plantar facititus(?), which is thought by some people to be caused by an infected internal injury(small broken blood vessel?), which improves with rest.

In short no one knows - but it does clear up if you do not overuse the joint.

Problems with being a keyboard junkie?

Anyway all the best, you have my sympathy.

MIA

On ‎03‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 18:24, Snipper said:

Anyone had radio therapy?  Considered review please. Hopefully some positive comments. 

Yes, I had radiotherapy 16 years ago as an adjunct to surgical removal of a cancerous testicle. The irradiated area was the ascending lymphatic system hence a rectangle about10 cm wide by 20 cm long. I only had 10 sessions, but it is right over a significant portion of the digestive tract. I was fine after the first 5, then the following week I became increasingly affected and by the end of the second week I was extremely nauseous. The sickness was kept in check with Ondansetron  ( Zofran), but when I ran out of tablets over a bank holiday weekend, I was in a bit of bother. I was living on my own at that point - the current Mrs C hadn't moved in yet, and I was as sick as a dog, and not to put too fine a point on it I almost sh4t myself inside out.

Tried other anti-emetics, but only Ondansetron worked which was an annoyance for my GP as they were £12/tablet at that time!!

That was the end of May 2002, and the nausea took another 2-3 weeks to subside, but I was quite tired for a long time afterwards. I'd say all told it took me maybe 6-9 months to really feel good again.

Oh and it killed the hair on my chest and upper abdomen in a perfect rectangle, which made one somewhat self conscious at the swimming pool, looked like I'd gone for a chest back, sack & Crack waxing and chickened out after the first pull!

No doubt things will have moved on in the intervening years....However I lost my right nut to the big C, and my son was born (conceived perfectly naturally) in 2004, and guess what? He's left handed - surely not just coincidental?! 

If you're about to go through it, Good Luck!

5 hours ago, knocker said:

Could it be Carpel Tunnel? - my 19 Yr Old Daughter has had three ops, two on her left hand and one on her right to cure Carpel tunnel and also decompress the ulnar nerve, as well as decompression of the cubital on both elbows. Symptoms were struggling to grip, pain, swelling...?

24 minutes ago, JeffC said:

Could it be Carpel Tunnel? - my 19 Yr Old Daughter has had three ops, two on her left hand and one on her right to cure Carpel tunnel and also decompress the ulnar nerve, as well as decompression of the cubital on both elbows. Symptoms were struggling to grip, pain, swelling...?

That's what I am wondering. I've just been up to see the pharmacist and he doesn't think so but it's exactly as you describe, plus a very cold hand, so I'm not convinced. Anyway he has given me some noninflammatory cream and the proverbial paracetamol and to see how it goes. If not I'll need to see a nurse or doctor. Strewth I feel sorry for your daughter as the pain is something else and it's somewhat difficult not to use your hand(s)

Thank you your reply MIA but keyboard junkie, moi? Not these days. although I do occasionally like to bring some erudition to the proceedings. :whistling:

2 hours ago, knocker said:

That's what I am wondering. I've just been up to see the pharmacist and he doesn't think so but it's exactly as you describe, plus a very cold hand, so I'm not convinced. Anyway he has given me some noninflammatory cream and the proverbial paracetamol and to see how it goes. If not I'll need to see a nurse or doctor. Strewth I feel sorry for your daughter as the pain is something else and it's somewhat difficult not to use your hand(s)

Thank you your reply MIA but keyboard junkie, moi? Not these days. although I do occasionally like to bring some erudition to the proceedings. :whistling:

MIA...

Ha ha.

It is probably not Karpel Tunnel. That too is a golfer disease.!!

Not one I've been subject too.  However I've seen a couple with it and it required an operation, and although it is painful, normally displays and gives a result  in the middle fingers becoming very clawed and virtually disabled. The op is to cut the muscles in the palm of the hand.

I think it more than likely to be some infection that has somehow got in.

A good immune system will get rid of it!

MIA 

Edited by Midlands Ice Age

On 06/04/2018 at 11:46, JeffC said:

Yes, I had radiotherapy 16 years ago as an adjunct to surgical removal of a cancerous testicle. The irradiated area was the ascending lymphatic system hence a rectangle about10 cm wide by 20 cm long. I only had 10 sessions, but it is right over a significant portion of the digestive tract. I was fine after the first 5, then the following week I became increasingly affected and by the end of the second week I was extremely nauseous. The sickness was kept in check with Ondansetron  ( Zofran), but when I ran out of tablets over a bank holiday weekend, I was in a bit of bother. I was living on my own at that point - the current Mrs C hadn't moved in yet, and I was as sick as a dog, and not to put too fine a point on it I almost sh4t myself inside out.

Tried other anti-emetics, but only Ondansetron worked which was an annoyance for my GP as they were £12/tablet at that time!!

That was the end of May 2002, and the nausea took another 2-3 weeks to subside, but I was quite tired for a long time afterwards. I'd say all told it took me maybe 6-9 months to really feel good again.

Oh and it killed the hair on my chest and upper abdomen in a perfect rectangle, which made one somewhat self conscious at the swimming pool, looked like I'd gone for a chest back, sack & Crack waxing and chickened out after the first pull!

No doubt things will have moved on in the intervening years....However I lost my right nut to the big C, and my son was born (conceived perfectly naturally) in 2004, and guess what? He's left handed - surely not just coincidental?! 

If you're about to go through it, Good Luck!

Thanks for the helpful comments. 

Regards

Snipper

On ‎06‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 12:22, knocker said:

Yeah she was in quite a bit of pain, they've now found that there's a restriction in the nerves where the exit the spine through her shoulders  - something called Thoracic Outlet Syndrome, but your symptoms to me sound like Carpel Tunnel or similar...

Never had much luck with Anti-inflammatory gels etc., a GP friend of mine suggested that it's more the massaging of the affected area which provided the benefit rather than the absorption of the drug through the skin. That said, Transdermal drug delivery does work well with opiate analgesia and of course Nicotine patches.

18 minutes ago, Snipper said:

Thanks for the helpful comments. 

Regards

Snipper

No problem, Like I said, if it's you or a loved one that needs the treatment, I wish you well, and if there's anything else I can help with then just shout!