Jump to content
Holidays
Local
Radar
Pollen
Spikecollie

Medical issues

Recommended Posts

On 4/3/2018 at 18:24, Snipper said:

Anyone had radio therapy?  Considered review please. Hopefully some positive comments. 

Firstly, I would emphasise that individual experience of radiation treatment will vary according to the extent and type of Ca and the reasons for it, (curative or palliative) also duration of the treatment.

The actual treatment session is painless.

Personally, I had no significant physical problems due to the treatment – 5 days per week over 7 weeks. One minor difficulty was fatigue, mainly resulting from trying to maintain a normal work/life routine together with the daily travel to and fro the hospital – but my then employers, fortunately, were accommodating in this regard. Another minor detail was dealing with the local skin reaction which was a bit like, severe sunburn. That was circa1990. :shok:

In my case the radiotherapy was identified as palliative – and I’m still here, :yahoo:but hearing that, did cause a dose of temporary depression – extended by cycles of chemo.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ciel said:

Firstly, I would emphasise that individual experience of radiation treatment will vary according to the extent and type of Ca and the reasons for it, (curative or palliative) also duration of the treatment.

The actual treatment session is painless.

Personally, I had no significant physical problems due to the treatment – 5 days per week over 7 weeks. One minor difficulty was fatigue, mainly resulting from trying to maintain a normal work/life routine together with the daily travel to and fro the hospital – but my then employers, fortunately, were accommodating in this regard. Another minor detail was dealing with the local skin reaction which was a bit like, severe sunburn. That was circa1990. :shok:

In my case the radiotherapy was identified as palliative – and I’m still here, :yahoo:but hearing that, did cause a dose of temporary depression – extended by cycles of chemo.

 

Well done on still being here!!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

My problem is I had a radical prostectomy in 2013. Been monitored since but my PSA has gone up unexpectedly some 5 years later.

Still very low but it should not go up. The perceived wisdom at the the time of the op and afterwards was it had been contained in the prostate. 

I had an MRI scan yesterday so results  not currently known. My appointment at my local hospital was 7.00pm on Saturday. Not am but pm. Those working there were working a 12 hour shift God bless them.

I am fully expecting to have radio therapy and hormone infusion.

All of a bu**er really as I had no symptoms before the prostectomy or now  

Snipper

 

Edited by Snipper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Obviously not as serious as the above posts but over the last nine days I've seen, or spoken to, four doctors, had a blood test and an x-ray and the consensus is that I have severe gout in my wrists. I've had to stop the anti-inflammatory tablets first prescribed as they were affecting my kidney function. so just been up to pick some new tablets which I hope kick in fairly swiftly as one wrist is giving me some gyp today,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, knocker said:

Obviously not as serious as the above posts but over the last nine days I've seen, or spoken to, four doctors, had a blood test and an x-ray and the consensus is that I have severe gout in my wrists. I've had to stop the anti-inflammatory tablets first prescribed as they were affecting my kidney function. so just been up to pick some new tablets which I hope kick in fairly swiftly as one wrist is giving me some gyp today,

Like you i get severe gout,I was recommended these as a preventative,for me they work very well,the attacks are fewer,less painful and shorter in duration.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01M0S1KIN/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They seem to nip a attack in the bud if you take regularly but then double dosage  the first sign of attack. I know what the pain is like,hope it calms down soon,it is very uncomfortable,crippling in fact. These tablets do help control acid levels hence help control the build up of crystals in the joints.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, markyo said:

Like you i get severe gout,I was recommended these as a preventative,for me they work very well,the attacks are fewer,less painful and shorter in duration.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01M0S1KIN/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They seem to nip a attack in the bud if you take regularly but then double dosage  the first sign of attack. I know what the pain is like,hope it calms down soon,it is very uncomfortable,crippling in fact. These tablets do help control acid levels hence help control the build up of crystals in the joints.

Thanks but I have been prescribed Colchicine which according to a friend who takes these are very good and it's a no no to take supplements with them. But will keep in mind if they don't work.

Edited by knocker
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, knocker said:

Thanks but I have been prescribed Colchicine which according to a friend who takes these are very good and it's a no no to take supplements with them. But will keep in mind if they don't work.

Really hope the Colchicine works ok,until you have gout nobody can understand how painful it is Those are just pure cherry extract but your right to take caution.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am now on short course of steroids to try and finally kick the inflammation and pain into touch. taking nothing for granted but they do seem to be working. I've got some of the cherry extract to take when this flare up is sorted. the doc mentioned this as well, along with a reappraisal of my daily Allopurinol dose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Paranoia.

A delusion that one is being persecuted and therefore feels the need to hide (among other obvious symptoms) in order to protect one's self.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Or that you are being watched or monitored in some way. It is fairly common. Made worse by the usual culprits  e.g. lack of sleep etc

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My doctor has decided that it's time I stopped taking paroxetine...And, after 24 years I agree wholeheartedly; the Valium I'll have to take in the mean time is a wee bit disconcerting, however...

Och Weell - Valley of The Dolls here I come!🧚‍♀️

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

My doctor has decided that it's time I stopped taking paroxetine...And, after 24 years I agree wholeheartedly; the Valium I'll have to take in the mean time is a wee bit disconcerting, however...

Och Weell - Valley of The Dolls here I come!🧚‍♀️

Good luck! Has he prescribed an alternative??

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JeffC said:

Good luck! Has he prescribed an alternative??

Not yet, no; I must get off the Seroxat first. I've an appointment for June 15.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Not yet, no; I must get off the Seroxat first. I've an appointment for June 15.

Like I said, Good luck...!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since my recent gout attack in my wrists, if indeed it was gout, I have since developed some form of painfall arthritis in my fingers, and to some extent my knees. To the extent they become 'locked', especially early in the morning. I have become quite worried about this as, apart from the pain, it effects my mobility. So i got an emergency appointment with my GP who asked me if I had ever suffered from psoriasis and I said as a matter of fact I did once but that was many years ago. He said it still could be psoriatic arthritis but as there a number of options that make a diagnosis difficult he referred me to a rheumatologist and marked it as urgent and I have an appointment at the beginning of August.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After a very bad week when I was pretty much immobilized by the arthritis in my knees and fingers (not forgetting the pain) I finally saw the consultant on Thursday. She confirmed the Psoriatic diagnoses and said the good news is this form of arthritis generally responds well to certain drug regimes and sent into remission. So I'm initially back on a strong dose of steroids to kick the current inflammation into touch (it's a relief how quickly they work) and then shortly to start on a drug called Sulfasalazine which has to be monitored closely, particularly at the start. These arrangements have to be in place before starting them. Fingers crossed, well nearly.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, knocker said:

After a very bad week when I was pretty much immobilized by the arthritis in my knees and fingers (not forgetting the pain) I finally saw the consultant on Thursday. She confirmed the Psoriatic diagnoses and said the good news is this form of arthritis generally responds well to certain drug regimes and sent into remission. So I'm initially back on a strong dose of steroids to kick the current inflammation into touch (it's a relief how quickly they work) and then shortly to start on a drug called Sulfasalazine which has to be monitored closely, particularly at the start. These arrangements have to be in place before starting them. Fingers crossed, well nearly.

Sorry to hear that you've not been doing great. I have arthritic knee joints but nothing as severe as you,must have been agony. Hope the new program of meds make a difference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, markyo said:

Sorry to hear that you've not been doing great. I have arthritic knee joints but nothing as severe as you,must have been agony. Hope the new program of meds make a difference.

It make you realize what people who suffer from a chronic arthritic condition go through because, apart from the pain, it very seriously impacts your quality of life. Hopefully I can avoid that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, knocker said:

It make you realize what people who suffer from a chronic arthritic condition go through because, apart from the pain, it very seriously impacts your quality of life. Hopefully I can avoid that.

Had arthritic knees since a child,a result of rheumatic fever,nothing like your going through though,hope things get better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, markyo said:

Had arthritic knees since a child,a result of rheumatic fever,nothing like your going through though,hope things get better.

Thankfully I don't suffer with Gout Mark, but I've found that taking Statins every day plays havoc with my joints.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, 78/79 said:

Thankfully I don't suffer with Gout Mark, but I've found that taking Statins every day plays havoc with my joints.

Sorry to hear that,joint pain is utterly debilitating,until one suffers from it you can't understand it.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×