Spikecollie

Medical issues

anybody got a cure for tendonitis (tennis elbow) i have developed this condition in both elbows with my right elbow much worse than the left to a point i can hardly lift my arm..this literally happened overnight and i have been afflicted for a couple of months now.

4 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

anybody got a cure for tendonitis (tennis elbow) i have developed this condition in both elbows with my right elbow much worse than the left to a point i can hardly lift my arm..this literally happened overnight and i have been afflicted for a couple of months now.

Could try looking here if you have not already seen it. http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Tennis-elbow/Pages/Treatment.aspx

On 08/09/2017 at 20:14, ajpoolshark said:

Lauren, have you ever been tested for Lupus?....It's an autoimmune condition..The reason I ask, is that for years I had unexplained & seemingly unrelated symptoms....periodic fatigue, skin rashes, colds, infections, and joint pains which normally last for a few days up to a few weeks then completely disappear......Eventually I was diagnosed with lupus last year.

No, I haven't. I'll look into this.

On ‎08‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 21:44, cheeky_monkey said:

try one / two (one for each arm!) of these - they effectively shift the fixed point where the tendon inserts onto the bone (point of insertion) providing relief from symptoms and reducing irritation through use. Also try massaging with a gel - doesn't have to be ibuprofen / Dicolfenac (Voltarol) just the massage will help to break down scar tissue and stimulate blood supply to assist with healing.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Golfers-Removable-Pressure-Neo-Physio/dp/B00687TDU2

Have also heard that eating (sugar free) jelly (or jello as our US cousins call it) can help with tendon / joint issues as the Collagen within the Gelatine actually does give the body a boost in that regard. Sounds like a good excuse to me!

Edited by JeffC
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, JeffC said:

try one / two (one for each arm!) of these - they effectively shift the fixed point where the tendon inserts onto the bone (point of insertion) providing relief from symptoms and reducing irritation through use. Also try massaging with a gel - doesn't have to be ibuprofen / Dicolfenac (Voltarol) just the massage will help to break down scar tissue and stimulate blood supply to assist with healing.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Golfers-Removable-Pressure-Neo-Physio/dp/B00687TDU2

Have also heard that eating (sugar free) jelly (or jello as our US cousins call it) can help with tendon / joint issues as the Collagen within the Gelatine actually does give the body a boost in that regard. Sounds like a good excuse to me!

thanks for that i have general elbow support on my arm..but the condition is getting worse in my right elbow to a point that now im often woken in the night in pain when i move my arm in my sleep..so i will try the strapping and maybe some good old deep heat treatment

• Like 1

On 11 September 2017 at 14:44, cheeky_monkey said:

thanks for that i have general elbow support on my arm..but the condition is getting worse in my right elbow to a point that now im often woken in the night in pain when i move my arm in my sleep..so i will try the strapping and maybe some good old deep heat treatment

Do you do excessive gripping with your hand in a pronated position? 

Called Tennis Elbow due to the imbalance that would be caused when someone plays tennis by the serving for example. 

My advice is stretch your wrists out ie hands flat on floor and hold for 30 seconds, then do hands flat but towards you. Feel the stretch. 

The tendon will be strained. I have golfer's elbow in both arms (caused by an exercise in the gym) and have almost fully recovered.

I did the usual: rest, ice and ibuprofen for the first 3 months... Achieved nothing. Couldn't grip a shopping bag without serious shooting pain.

I started doing what I could. Stretching fully, press ups, gripping stuff with my thumb over the top and not to grip hard etc. Just slowly do more and more and get blood into the tendon.

Increased blood flow = improved recovery.

Don't listen to the usual 'pop pills, ice, rest' rubbish. Yes use some ice and rest but also actively re-habilitate the injury.

Posted (edited)

I ponder whether it is better for all concerned if you die from a heart attack or other bolt from the sky or have a lingering death from cancer?

My reason for asking Is my brother has just been given weeks/months due to prostate cancer. In hospital in severe pain, not a full load which is very upsetting for him and the family. No problems with the care he is getting from the NHS. 

Life can be sh**e on occasions. 

Edited by Snipper
  • Sad 3

The second reason we have come back to the UK for a few months (first - renovate house for letting) is my dental problem! My bridge broke. Three front teeth absent! Not simple - retaining teeth for bridge have to be removed, along with a cracked molar. Great, as I am a dental phobic but I have had Neurolinguistic Programming treatment which should work. Despite that, I am scared merde-less for next Wednesday! I had to come back to the UK for treatment as my insurance over here wouldn't cover it and the bill was very very big. I'll let you know how it goes...

8 minutes ago, Spikecollie said:

The second reason we have come back to the UK for a few months (first - renovate house for letting) is my dental problem! My bridge broke. Three front teeth absent! Not simple - retaining teeth for bridge have to be removed, along with a cracked molar. Great, as I am a dental phobic but I have had Neurolinguistic Programming treatment which should work. Despite that, I am scared merde-less for next Wednesday! I had to come back to the UK for treatment as my insurance over here wouldn't cover it and the bill was very very big. I'll let you know how it goes...

Sorry to hear that, Spike...I'm not being funny here, but why don't you consider visiting, say, Latvia or Poland...Peeps I used to work with - oop Norf - got fantastic dental-treatment there for a fraction of UK rip-offs (I mean prices!)?

You could have a nice holiday too!:D

PS: We are all in the EU now!:hi:

Edited by Ed Stone

On 10/6/2017 at 18:43, Snipper said:

I ponder whether it is better for all concerned if you die from a heart attack or other bolt from the sky or have a lingering death from cancer?

My reason for asking Is my brother has just been given weeks/months due to prostate cancer. In hospital in severe pain, not a full load which is very upsetting for him and the family. No problems with the care he is getting from the NHS. 

Life can be sh**e on occasions. 

Snipper, so sorry for your burden.

Me, having seen (and I'll be brutally honest here) both of my parents die from cancer, and MIL endure chemo.. I'd rather die on my bike, pushing up a hill at who knows what age. I am not "religious" and do not believe in an afterlife. This is all we have and we should make the best of it...

1 minute ago, Ed Stone said:

Sorry to hear that, Spike...I'm not being funny here, but why don't you consider visiting, say, Latvia or Poland...Peeps I used to work with - oop Norf - got fantastic dental-treatment there for a fraction of UK rip-offs (I mean prices!)?

You could have a nice holiday too!:D

Did consider, but I need to go back to the dentist who knows me and my history.

Just now, Spikecollie said:

Did consider, but I need to go back to the dentist who knows me and my history.

In floods of tears just contemplating the whole ghastly scenario. I just want to stay here, in Limousin, where I belong...

• Sad 1

On 9/8/2017 at 20:14, ajpoolshark said:

Lauren, have you ever been tested for Lupus?....It's an autoimmune condition..The reason I ask, is that for years I had unexplained & seemingly unrelated symptoms....periodic fatigue, skin rashes, colds, infections, and joint pains which normally last for a few days up to a few weeks then completely disappear......Eventually I was diagnosed with lupus last year.

Good suggestion.

5 minutes ago, Spikecollie said:

In floods of tears just contemplating the whole ghastly scenario. I just want to stay here, in Limousin, where I belong...

Best wishes, I know what it's like.:give_rose:

10 minutes ago, Spikecollie said:

It's horrible, Spike - I am one of the lucky few who can pull my own teeth, with a pair of pliers...Then again, they were not my front teeth...

Home is where the heart is - for me, that is in the NW Highlands of Scotland; for you, it is Limousin.:cray:

Edited by Ed Stone
Problems with tense!

12 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

It's horrible, Spike - I am one of the lucky few who can pull my own teeth, with a pair of pliers...Then again, they were not my front teeth...

Home is where the heart is - for me, that is in the NW Highlands of Scotland; for you, it is Limousin.:cray:

Miss read that thought you said limousine  mind you spike is strange 

8 minutes ago, weirpig said:

Miss read that thought you said limousine  mind you spike is strange 

Spike is not strange - ever, just distraught at the moment! My dentist in the UK fixed my bridge, temporarily, but it came loose today in class. It literally fell out. I coped, told the students, but right now I feel pretty grim for tomorrow's work with a new group.

4 minutes ago, Spikecollie said:

Spike is not strange - ever, just distraught at the moment! My dentist in the UK fixed my bridge, temporarily, but it came loose today in class. It literally fell out. I coped, told the students, but right now I feel pretty grim for tomorrow's work with a new group.

Why you feeling grim for tommorow? Pain wise or embarrassment that they might fall out ? 

36 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Lucky few eh :shok:

My poor mum nearly got crushed to death today! On her way to the hospital the irony a large slab of concrete fell vertical from height, possibly from a construction site but she said she had no idea where it originated from. And she was a mere 3ft from where it impacted with a terrific noise - she was shaken but glad to report she's all fine. God was watching over her..

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Spikecollie said:

My brother's bridge fell out when he was half-way through delivering a sermon!

• Haha 1

WP

12 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Lucky few eh :shok:

My poor mum nearly got crushed to death today! On her way to the hospital the irony a large slab of concrete fell vertical from height, possibly from a construction site but she said she had no idea where it originated from. And she was a mere 3ft from where it impacted with a terrific noise - she was shaken but glad to report she's all fine. God was watching over her..

Crikey, a really close moment. She must be really shaken up. Can't identify with the "God" bit, but probability  was certainly on her side. It makes my problems seem very small!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Spikecollie said:

WP

Crikey, a really close moment. She must be really shaken up. Can't identify with the "God" bit, but probability  was certainly on her side. It makes my problems seem very small!

When I saw her she was ghostly white even after a hour had elapsed just shock. Well I'm not religious whether there is a God perhaps not but perhaps there's 'something'. :D  It wasn't her time anywho.. 

That time of year again  were my Panic attacks seem to double in size    Breath Weirpig