Jump to content
Spikecollie

Medical issues

Recommended Posts

Maybe this should get/will be moved to the the "Serious Discussion" area, but I'm not bothered.

Anyway, I had a really bad anxiety episode which made me see my local doctor here in France. For the initial symptoms I was given a two week prescription of a benzodiazépine which quickly settled things and I didn't actually need to finish the course. My doctor, who is a great person, said I should come back for a blood test. I duly did yesterday and had the test with a nurse. It was not easy, I was very panicky and in the end the nurse used a children's "butterfly" needle which I could cope with. It didn't hurt and I didn't faint and feel a lot more confident now.

I had the test at 0900 yesterday morning and the results arrived in the post this morning. My doctor called me at 1400 on the phone to discuss them. Everything apart from liver enzymes and eosonophiles is normal. The latter is explained by allergy issues, the former by drinking far too much, which I have now got to stop and have stopped. No diabetes issues and kidney function is way above average. My cholesterol is a conundrum though. I have a higher than normal cholesterol level but it is mostly caused by HDL or good cholesterol. My doctor says he hasn't seen quite such a result before!  For the technically minded - LDL below normal, HDL above but overall cholesterol above normal. Ratio of HDL to LDL I think 2:1. I'm a walking weirdness!!!

Edited by Spikecollie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well you aren't the only one Spike. My routine blood tests over the last couple of years have shown a small spike with my liver enzymes which my GP decided it was nowt to worry about but to keep an eye on. Anyway she went sick and a locum decided a scan was called for and also to check on my CKD. Duly went for scan and it came back showing I had an enlarged spleen as well as some damage to my liver, no doubt caused by a past career drinking for England. Another locum went straight into panic mode and immediately arranged an urgent appointment with a consultant haematologist suspecting, as I later found out as he didn't mention it to me much to my annoyance, that it could be blood cancer. Anyway cutting a long story short I've seen the consultant twice, the second time today, and she can find nothing that is haematology related. She suspects it may have something to do with my liver so has referred me to her liver colleague. So the investigation is ongoing and awaiting my appointment with the liver consultant. In the interim I also had the episode when I suddenly passed out when I was down at the local lake, due, according to the consensus, a sudden drop in blood pressure, but that's another story.

Edited by knocker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been out on my bike again this afternoon. It makes me feel good and lowers the stress levels! Struggling to stop the evening glass of wine or six, but gradually getting there!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well this is fun. I had a blood clot develop behind my knee two years ago and it ended up being quite an extensive thrombosis event, extending right up the main leg artery. Apparently unbeknown to me at that point I have what we shall colloquially call 'sticky blood'. I was physically fit to that point and quite lean but it's left some permanent damage I'm afraid, a swollen leg on long walks and a slight discomfort, with some terrific skin colourisation of the lower leg. Once I am rested it goes back to a near normal state.  I used to go running but not anymore, and my weight is up a bit, nothing dramatic but it's interesting seeing the consequence of a slower metabolism. No one should know this but I wear a knee high stocking now which tightens the leg, increasing blood flow and at the same time improving mobility, I wear one on the other leg so it doesn't feel like there's a weird imbalance. It's a pain in summer.  I don't really want to think about health implications down the track, not good for the heart apparently...further risk of dvts which could travel to areas not wanted...etc... or maybe I will have a clear run. Not worth a thought. I take an asprin a day which apparently thins the blood and declined the use of a stronger thinning medication. Psychologically this has hit me hard because my father and his father died quite young, but now the depression has lifted it has broadened my thoughts and emotions out in a good way, which is a nice byproduct after being thrown this curveball..      

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went back to my doctor this morning for a full discussion. I've actually got nothing to worry about, provided I look after myself and don't drink too much! I am grateful for the "wake up call" and he was impressed by my cycling, claiming that he could not do what I am doing. I'm on the right track and loving every moment of the new, slimmer, fitter, calmer me...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not had a good day today. Since last week I've developed a very large abscess on my left buttock. Now there is no good place to have an abscess but this is one of the worst. Anyway saw my GP at 8.30 this morning and she referred me straight away to surgical admissions at the Royal Cornwall. So ten mile taxi journey and was there by 0930. Looked at pretty quickly by the junior doctor who said you need to wait for the registrar surgeon to have a look. In this ward that means when he has a break from the operating  theatre. He turned up at three took a look and said you have two choices. I can sort this here and now and you will be home in a couple of hours or you can have GA which means waiting for a theatre slot and possible an overnight stay. Now what sort of choice is that? Well I was home by five.

Now for a quiet, hopefully pain free, evening.

Note to self. Do not wander into the referendum thread.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, knocker said:

Not had a good day today. Since last week I've developed a very large abscess on my left buttock. Now there is no good place to have an abscess but this is one of the worst. Anyway saw my GP at 8.30 this morning and she referred me straight away to surgical admissions at the Royal Cornwall. So ten mile taxi journey and was there by 0930. Looked at pretty quickly by the junior doctor who said you need to wait for the registrar surgeon to have a look. In this ward that means when he has a break from the operating  theatre. He turned up at three took a look and said you have two choices. I can sort this here and now and you will be home in a couple of hours or you can have GA which means waiting for a theatre slot and possible an overnight stay. Now what sort of choice is that? Well I was home by five.

Now for a quiet, hopefully pain free, evening.

Note to self. Do not wander into the referendum thread.

Get well soon knocker, sounds horrible, are you on antibiotics?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, lassie23 said:

Get well soon knocker, sounds horrible, are you on antibiotics?

I was but talking to the surgeon after and he said stop any antibiotics they are waste of time and useless in this case. Should make for an interesting discussion tomorrow when I go for a dressing change. It certainly can be described as eye watering Lassie.

Edited by knocker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

Get well soon knocker, sounds horrible, are you on antibiotics?

Knocker...

No I haven't come over here to upset you!!!

Best of luck with it!

MIA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cheers MIA. I thought you might be trying for a relapse.:)

Edited by knocker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hope today is a better day for you, Knocker.  Get well soon :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, ciel said:

Hope today is a better day for you, Knocker.  Get well soon :)

Thanks ciel. I feel much better already. It's still obviously a touch sore and the dressing change later wont be a bundle of laughs but it should be uphill from hereon in. That's the theory anyway.:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i don't even have a doctor..hang over from when I returned from Canada where I never had one and have never registered since I have been back. I don't have any medical issues touch wood..but what I have that has appeared over the last 6 months..is random increasingly lengthy flashbacks to periods of my life almost like deja vu..but I will suddenly be in a place and time in my life as though I was actually there just for a few brief seconds..anyone know what this could be?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was down the surgery earlier for my daily dressing change. I assumed the position and the nurse wandered over and exclaimed, "streuth that;s wrinkled". I said, "there really isn't any need to be personal Pat," And she no,no, I meant the dressing...................but now you mention it". The NHS is really getting close to the bottom these days. :shok:

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, knocker said:

I was down the surgery earlier for my daily dressing change. I assumed the position and the nurse wandered over and exclaimed, "streuth that;s wrinkled". I said, "there really isn't any need to be personal Pat," And she no,no, I meant the dressing...................but now you mention it". The NHS is really getting close to the bottom these days. :shok:

So, Sid James didn't tell her to 'prick his boil'', then...You arsed for that, Malcolm!:oops:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19/05/2016 at 09:29, cheeky_monkey said:

i don't even have a doctor..hang over from when I returned from Canada where I never had one and have never registered since I have been back. I don't have any medical issues touch wood..but what I have that has appeared over the last 6 months..is random increasingly lengthy flashbacks to periods of my life almost like deja vu..but I will suddenly be in a place and time in my life as though I was actually there just for a few brief seconds..anyone know what this could be?

Dissociation?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just been wired up to a 24 hour ECG monitor.

I have also been strongly advised to avoid the referendum thread during this period to avoid a sledge load of spurious readings.

Edited by knocker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/04/2016 at 20:21, Spikecollie said:

Maybe this should get/will be moved to the the "Serious Discussion" area, but I'm not bothered.

Anyway, I had a really bad anxiety episode which made me see my local doctor here in France. For the initial symptoms I was given a two week prescription of a benzodiazépine which quickly settled things and I didn't actually need to finish the course. My doctor, who is a great person, said I should come back for a blood test. I duly did yesterday and had the test with a nurse. It was not easy, I was very panicky and in the end the nurse used a children's "butterfly" needle which I could cope with. It didn't hurt and I didn't faint and feel a lot more confident now.

I had the test at 0900 yesterday morning and the results arrived in the post this morning. My doctor called me at 1400 on the phone to discuss them. Everything apart from liver enzymes and eosonophiles is normal. The latter is explained by allergy issues, the former by drinking far too much, which I have now got to stop and have stopped. No diabetes issues and kidney function is way above average. My cholesterol is a conundrum though. I have a higher than normal cholesterol level but it is mostly caused by HDL or good cholesterol. My doctor says he hasn't seen quite such a result before!  For the technically minded - LDL below normal, HDL above but overall cholesterol above normal. Ratio of HDL to LDL I think 2:1. I'm a walking weirdness!!!

Just seen this thread. Anxiety and/or depression is no laughing matter. I suffer from a form of anxiety which has made me quite reclusive....I don't really want to go out or stray too far from the house most times. I've had depressive symptoms such as extreme fatigue for years on and off. It basically holds you hostage and makes you a prisoner within your own life. 

I know your post is a couple of months old....hope you're ok now :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just been for my Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm screening and it's all clear.

Well worth doing if your over 65, and it's free at a surgery near you, because if you have one and it bursts you are a gonner.

Edited by knocker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, knocker said:

Just been for my Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm screening screening and it's all clear.

Well worth doing if your over 65, and it's free at a surgery near you, because if you have one and it bursts you are a gonner.

Knocks...

I can agree with you here. Two or three years ago, one of my best mates died on the golf course, whilst playing just before Xmas.

There was nothing any of us could do to save him and that included a whole range of medical talent, who rushed to him.!

Go and get checked out.... It can be fixed up until the point it bursts, after that you will be extremely lucky to survive.

MIA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, knocker said:

Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm screening

That's a new screening test to me.  Has it just been recently rolled out, I wonder?

Anyway, glad you're fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, ciel said:

That's a new screening test to me.  Has it just been recently rolled out, I wonder?

Anyway, glad you're fine.

It's fairly recent but originally it was limited to just 65 year olds but since then it has expanded to include everyone over 65. I was talking about this to the nurse and I said I didn't know anything about it until I bumped into an ex colleague who had just been for one. She said it has been a problem and they try to advertise it as much as they can.

If it's any help to anyone for themselves or relatives the contact number to put your name on the list is:

Peninsula Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm (AAA) Screening

Tel: 0800 970 8700

Thinking about it that might just be for the south west

This might be better

http://www.nhs.uk/Service-Search/Abdominal aortic aneurysm screening/LocationSearch/1924

Edited by knocker
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, knocker said:

It's fairly recent but originally it was limited to just 65 year olds but since then it has expanded to include everyone over 65. I was talking about this to the nurse and I said I didn't know anything about it until I bumped into an ex colleague who had just been for one. She said it has been a problem and they try to advertise it as much as they can.

If it's any help to anyone for themselves or relatives the contact number to put your name on the list is:

Peninsula Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm (AAA) Screening

Tel: 0800 970 8700

Good of you to post the above info Knocker.On reading it i rang my surgery to arrange a screening as i am soon to be 68 and was told i had one in 2013!

I do try to look after my health and over the years have had regular checks, and fortunately all is good, but i be dammed if could remember that screening Knocker.Must do more crosswords or something to ward off brain malfunction,lol.

Still twas a relief that the screening was all ok so no need for any further action on that aspect of my circulatory functions.:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw the hepatologist yesterday afternoon and he thought it very probable that it was cirrhosis that was the cause of my enlarged spleen. To be confirmed with another scan. Not a total surprise given my life long love affair with the Isle of Islay. :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×