Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 hour ago, weatherguru14 said:

Its been a poor july so  far for the UK. dont know why the previous poster is complaining.Hopefully the second half of the month will be better..

today sort of day of 2 halves, morning felt like April with cold wind, but now wind gone much warmer, feels more like summer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
49 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

That's the average maximum. If you look at the whole average, it won't seem all that bad.

Not really relevant though if the average overall is skewed by mild nights because of cloud. July or August 2008 were like that.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
19 minutes ago, cheese said:

Not really relevant though if the average overall is skewed by mild nights because of cloud. July or August 2008 were like that.

It most certainly is relevant. It would look a bit odd if HadCET were just using average maximums,  you'd end up with a CET akin to somewhere in the South of France.  on_the_quiet2.gif

Edited by Mapantz
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
4 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

It most certainly is relevant. It would look a bit odd if HadCET were just using average maximums,  you'd end up with a CET akin to somewhere in the South of France.  on_the_quiet2.gif

Mean temperature for Heathrow so far this month is 17.5c, compared to the average of 18.7c, so it's still poor.

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, B87 said:

Mean temperature for Heathrow so far this month is 17.5c, compared to the average of 18.7c, so it's still poor.

Oh dear, it's not the end of the world, is it?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
9 hours ago, Evening thunder said:

Lol, reminds me of Christmas Day 2010 when it was -14C but someone in shorts jogged by!

-14c in shorts....yep mad beyond a doubt,more certifiable,12c to 13c in shorts no,that's normal if your work is physical like mine.

Posted
5 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Well it would be good if we could have an average summer once in a while. 

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, B87 said:

Yep its been a very poor summer since the middle of june,very wet too,today was better but cool.

Posted
10 minutes ago, B87 said:

Well it would be good if we could have an average summer once in a while. 

It's been 12 months since the south had an average summer. 

Posted
14 minutes ago, March said:

It's been 12 months since the south had an average summer. 

I meant in terms of temperature AND sunshine. Especially sunshine. We had one in 2013 but before that we had to go back to 2004/2005.

Edited by B87

Posted

1 hour ago, Mapantz said:

You are being deliberately obtuse. A good summer is not defined by whether or not the CET is average. We are talking about the weather that people actually experience, not some numbers on a screen. If the overall mean was average, but daytime highs were below average, sunshine was below average and rainfall above average, it'd be a poor summer by anyone's standards. 

A summer mean that is 1.3C below average is very noticeable in a country where summers are lukewarm at best.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 2

Posted
19 minutes ago, cheese said:

You are being deliberately obtuse. A good summer is not defined by whether or not the CET is average. We are talking about the weather that people actually experience, not some numbers on a screen. If the overall mean was average, but daytime highs were below average, sunshine was below average and rainfall above average, it'd be a poor summer by anyone's standards. 

A summer mean that is 1.3C below average is very noticeable in a country where summers are lukewarm at best.

How am I being obtuse? I haven't said that a good or bad Summer is defined by a CET. I stated that a CET isn't calculated just by average maximums. If that is being obtuse, then god help all the moaners in here!

Posted

Best one tempers their expectations when it comes to warm and sunny weather in summer, especially if one resides somewhere in the north, such as Leeds. Not so much a problem down here though, tbh.  Locals are tanning well, and getting their dose of vitamin D.  

• Like 1

Posted
14 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

How am I being obtuse? I haven't said that a good or bad Summer is defined by a CET. I stated that a CET isn't calculated just by average maximums. If that is being obtuse, then god help all the moaners in here!

I think B87 is perfectly aware how the CET is calculated. He's just not interested because regardless of the CET value the weather in general hasn't been very good. The SE bore the brunt of June's exceptional dullness. It was a much better month the further north and west you went.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, cheese said:

Somehow, I think B87 is perfectly aware how the CET is calculated.

Yes, I just prefer not to use it because down here our summer mean is 2-3c warmer than the CET, and it doesn't give an accurate picture of our local conditions.

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, weather09 said:

Best one tempers their expectations when it comes to warm and sunny weather in summer, especially if one resides somewhere in the north, such as Leeds. Not so much a problem down here though, tbh.  Locals are tanning well, and getting their dose of vitamin D.  

Leeds has sunnier summers than Birmingham.

Posted
3 minutes ago, B87 said:

Brummie humour at its finest.

Posted
6 minutes ago, B87 said:

Ah, right. Is it also warmer and as humid as down here in the urban jungle? What are the doopoints like?

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, weather09 said:

Ah, right. Is it also warmer and as humid as down here in the urban jungle? What are the doopoints like?

Birmingham summers are warmer by 0.1c.

• Like 1

Posted

Probably our best day up here in the central lowlands since the very start of June (Shows how long summer went on hold here) back to square one tomorrow though. Next week................................open to question

Posted
12 minutes ago, B87 said:

Birmingham summers are warmer by 0.1c.

Thanks for the reply, B.  

Any doopoint stats?  Humidity down here has been something else this summer.  Have had to turn the con air on a lot more compared to recent summers. 

Purchased more Magnum ice creams as well... 

Posted
2 hours ago, Mapantz said:

Judging by the poor summer weather so far, I think it might be. :(

Edited by 'ColdIsBest'

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

No, of course it's not the end of the world. Doesn't feel at all good though. When 9 months of the year the weather is basically crap, can we be forgiven for looking for above average conditions in summer? This summer even average has been very hard to achieve. CET isn't a great way of judging local conditions; it has been incessantly cloudy here for weeks on end, with temperatures at night barely changing, skewing figures. 

• Like 1