Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot
3 hours ago, B87 said:

The last decade has seen average sunshine amounts down by 50-60 hrs per month in summer, along with terrible temps in August.  Heathrow has seen 5 of it's 10 cloudiest Augusts on record since 2006.

Bear in mind much of any sunshine recorded during this and the past few "summers" occurs during the small hours.  Unless you are working shifts or nights, for those of us who are up and about during conventional waking hours (8am to 9pm) the grey lid has already slammed down only to melt away approaching sunset leading to yet another unseasonably cold night.

Never mind the green snot on the thickness charts, what really bothers me is the appearance of the blue patches, together with the possibility of SNOW showers at the tops of the Scottish mountains in bloody JULY!!!!:nonono:  

Looks like I need to unpack my new SAD light which I shouldn't normally need until October.  Mind you the British climate seems to have degenerated into a permanent autumn. 

Edited by Wildswimmer Pete
typo
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/weather/maps/city?WMO=03772&LAND=UK&LEVEL=51

2 days with average temps, 12 days below average for the next 2 weeks, along with just over half the expected sunshine for a 2 week period in summer.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

And to top it off here today, tropical intensity rain storms! I give up lol.

Posted

The cold blob as far as I know is a recent enough anomaly and although it might be having some effect on pushing the Jet stream more south than normal for high summer one has to remember the general pattern since 2007 has been cooler, duller weather with some months in that series being very poor. As interesting as it is and since it is more likely related with the Atlantic Oscillations, the cold blob hasn’t been evident very much of that time so I personally tend to think something else is driving these poorer summers. My guess is the warming Arctic and all the chaos that must be doing to the general winds in that vast area must be causing some displacement to our general weather patterns. At the height of the terrible 2011 summer there were lots of predictions that the coming summer may well end up being similar to 2011. With the exception of a couple of months since then we haven’t had very good summer months, cooler and wetter than usual, to me the name of our pain is the warming arctic, let’s hope it stops.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
12 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

And to top it off here today, tropical intensity rain storms! I give up lol.

Nice warm and sunny here..tshirt and shorts lovely:)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
Just now, cheeky_monkey said:

Nice warm and sunny here..tshirt and shorts lovely:)

Where are you? Had 3 minutes of lovely warm sunshine after all this mornings low cloud and drizzle, then the torrential showers moved in.

Posted

At lunchtime on what is alleged to be a high summer day, according to Liverpool ATIS temp 15C and cloud base at 800ft.  Incredibly dark for the middle of the day.  Heavy rain all morning and now what feels like a cold, howling gale.  Really couldn't make it up.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Summer of 1986 was much worse. August that year had an average high of 17.3C in Leeds. Even the coolest June post-2000 was warmer than that. June was nearly the warmest month of summer, July only just pipped it - a sign of how bad July that year was, not how warm June was (it was only average).

Summer 1987 and 1988 were also bad. 

June this year was very cloudy here but temperature-wise it was average. 

This summer has been rubbish so far but in relation to many previous summers it isn't the worst. It just seems so bad I think because we've had to endure so many bad summers in recent years, and now it's starting to take its toll. Summers in the UK have never been 'great' or reliably warm/sunny, but you could at least guarantee a week or 2 of warm, sunny weather in July and August most years.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 2

Posted

It's of very little comfort to be reminded that it's not as cold as 1725 or August 1912 (don't tempt fate for goodness' sake!). It's not as bad as 2007 or 2012 either - the weather is still rubbish. Temperatures being somewhat higher is scant consolation when it's bucketing down, the wind is gusting and you're struggling for sunshine. We haven't had an exceptionally cold summer month for a long time now (June 1991 I would imagine, or May 1996 if you count that as early summer) but we've had a surfeit of exceptionally wet and dull ones.

A really poor day here today. My location did well in May and early June, and it hasn't been constant rubbish since then, but there's been hardly any warm days and plenty of autumnal dross. Any warmth has come from the SW and brought copious amounts of cloud and no small measure of rain; when the sun does come out it's usually accompanied by chilly winds from a direction north of west. There's simply no winning with a westerly pattern. That's a whole month of summer wasted with no respite on the horizon. Summer 2016 isn't in stinker territory yet (though I can well believe so in other parts of the country) but it's trying its hardest to end up there.

Posted
1 hour ago, Wildswimmer Pete said:

Looks like I need to unpack my new SAD light which I shouldn't normally need until October.  Mind you the British climate seems to have degenerated into a permanent autumn. 

:good:

It wouldn't surprise me to hear that doctors are seeing an increase in non specific complaints of tiredness and generally feeling 'under the weather'. It's an old saying but has much truth in it as new science points to - how many will get habit forming pills rather than the light they desperately need.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

July following June with the below average theme for the Summer, current July mean 14.1c which is around 1.5c below average for this area. Looking at the models no sign of that raising much over the coming week or so.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.
4 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

Enjoying this filth? How??? It's dreadful! Yes it might not be raining so much in July but June was a sodden nightmare. Of course there were worse summers in history. Quite amusing how you quoted 1912 and 1725 though. Each to their own I suppose but it's not like we don't get grey skies and howling winds the other 9 months of the year, would be nice for something different in summer.

I am certainly not hating the weather at the moment. Here it is 22C and breezy with scattered clouds. To describe this as "filth" would be a bit of a stretch. And as you're only 50 miles away as the crow flies from Chelmsford, surely things can't be too different down in Surrey? Perhaps I am wrong.

I quoted 1725 and 1912 to exemplify just how bad our Summers can be, and to show just how pathetic Summer 2016 is in comparison. The point being that no matter how much people are loathing the current Summer weather, things could be a lot worse.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All 4 seasons and a good mixture of everything and anything!
46 minutes ago, Relativistic said:

I am certainly not hating the weather at the moment. Here it is 22C and breezy with scattered clouds. To describe this as "filth" would be a bit of a stretch. And as you're only 50 miles away as the crow flies from Chelmsford, surely things can't be too different down in Surrey? Perhaps I am wrong.

I quoted 1725 and 1912 to exemplify just how bad our Summers can be, and to show just how pathetic Summer 2016 is in comparison. The point being that no matter how much people are loathing the current Summer weather, things could be a lot worse.

We all know that the weather has many regional variations wherever you go in the UK, but I too will admit that this Summer so far, (particularly the last 2-3 weeks or so), has been nothing short of poor. 

Whilst it hasn't offered the complete washout scenario that we saw in examples such as 2012 and 2007, it's been painfully dull, boring and just a damp sodden cloud and rainfest that has seen little in the way of hot sunshine lasting anything more than a day or two. 

I think if you asked any old folk in the UK who isn't even interested in the weather like we are if they have enjoyed the Summer weather so far, a common answer would certainly be 'no'!!

I'm happy for you that in your location things haven't been so bad; but many many people are suffering here. :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
4 hours ago, Wildswimmer Pete said:

Bear in mind much of any sunshine recorded during this and the past few "summers" occurs during the small hours.  Unless you are working shifts or nights, for those of us who are up and about during conventional waking hours (8am to 9pm) the grey lid has already slammed down only to melt away approaching sunset leading to yet another unseasonably cold night.

Never mind the green snot on the thickness charts, what really bothers me is the appearance of the blue patches, together with the possibility of SNOW showers at the tops of the Scottish mountains in bloody JULY!!!!:nonono:  

I was feeling good about a month ago but recently not as much. So I have started to take high strength Vitamin D3 gels & I'm feeling a lot better - positive mood, energy and just a general sense of well being. I'll order one of those SAD lights as well. I don't like heat & we don't need it for Vitamin D3 production just as long as the sun is high enough but some lasting sun would be nice, it's been awful for about a month now so I'm sure my D3 levels were getting depleted especially so as the older we get the skin produces less of it. The sun is the most important thing for us, without it we wouldn't be here!

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 1

Posted

Definitely not a great summer so far - but as usual how bad it's been depends on where you are.  So far I'd put it in the mediocre category here in the Thames Valley, perhaps a little worse than last year's (but for us that started well and went downhill; this year's struggling to get started) but nowhere near as bad as 2012. For us the last week hasn't been too bad, for example, with measurable rain only on one day (all of it yesterday morning) and temperatures only slightly below normal for July - and we've had less than 3mm of rain this month so far.

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

On Sunday, May 15, 2016 at 10:43, sundog said:

Accuweather going for a poor summer for the BI

120x90_05131224_2016-uk-summer-highlights.jpg

650x366_05041442_europesummer.jpg

So far accuweather have not been too far wide of the mark with their summer 2016 forecast.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
4 hours ago, Wildswimmer Pete said:

At lunchtime on what is alleged to be a high summer day, according to Liverpool ATIS temp 15C and cloud base at 800ft.  Incredibly dark for the middle of the day.  Heavy rain all morning and now what feels like a cold, howling gale.  Really couldn't make it up.

Sorry where was the howling gale??? Spent today working in Liverpool ,breezy yes but howling gale,no. Agree the rain was a tad heavy but nothing uncommon. Temps could have been higher but not that bad at all in my opinion. Trust me a howling gale is something i doubt you or many will have experienced,i have worked up on the north coast of Scotland late Autumn,thats a howling gale when you can't stand up or close the car door! But i understand that your personal view,your gale is a breeze to me,your lovely hot weather is a pain to me,each to their own. Hope it clears soon for something more to your liking.

• Like 1

Posted
On 7/10/2016 at 16:28, lassie23 said:

Not cold down south, high humidity here for a while now. We seem to just have autumn all year round, might as well have an autumn thread up 24/7

And one song sums it all up!

Justin Hayward

Bfalgrw.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, markyo said:

Sorry where was the howling gale??? Spent today working in Liverpool ,breezy yes but howling gale,no. Agree the rain was a tad heavy but nothing uncommon. Temps could have been higher but not that bad at all in my opinion. Trust me a howling gale is something i doubt you or many will have experienced,i have worked up on the north coast of Scotland late Autumn,thats a howling gale when you can't stand up or close the car door! But i understand that your personal view,your gale is a breeze to me,your lovely hot weather is a pain to me,each to their own. Hope it clears soon for something more to your liking.

Never heard of the "figure of speech"? The term "throwaway remark". This wasn't a formal weather report. "Trust me a howling gale is something i doubt you or many will have experienced,"  How presumptuous.  For your information I have experienced Force 11 gales in the past. "i have worked up on the north coast of Scotland"  I was brought up on the windy Wirral coast - meanwhile the name of the nearby (to me) town Helsby is a contraction of Hell's Bay.  I've also observed the weather for over 60 (SIXTY!) years.

Edited by Wildswimmer Pete
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

I must admit the swing in the model output in the last 36 hours has been disappointing, broad westerly flows tend to be rather boring set ups with average temperatures and rainfall with convection suppressed as the Azores high sits just south of the UK killing off rainfall for the south whilst the north tends to get hit by frequent bands of persistent rain or drizzle.

A rather bland July seems to be on the cards at this stage. At least we got a couple of decent convective days early on.

Edited by Captain Shortwave