Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?

Posted

Yep, much fresher and cloudier conditions - typical UK weather. Generally temps around 13C with limited sushine typical British summer, particularly around northern England, where it might be even cooler.  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
37 minutes ago, weather09 said:

Has felt extremely oppressive so far this summer. Florida-style humidity.  Dewpoint 13C currently.  Feel like I'm in a warm sponge.  Unbearable.  

13c dew point? So drier than an average summer afternoon here, which doesn't feel oppressively humid at all.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
33 minutes ago, weather09 said:

Yep, much fresher and cloudier conditions - typical UK weather. Generally temps around 13C with limited sushine typical British summer, particularly around northern England, where it might be even cooler.  

You're being sarcastic, I presume. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
44 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

Hopefully August and September will be better, that's when the plants need the sun the most.

I'd prefer a decent July and August as the days are longer but I know what you mean. When was the last decent August? 1995?! Only 21 years ago lol....

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

I'd prefer a decent July and August as the days are longer but I know what you mean. When was the last decent August? 1995?! Only 21 years ago lol....

Guess it depends on your definition of decent. 2009, 2012 and 2013 were all average or slightly above average temp-wise, but I don't think any of them were particularly sunny. 2004 and 2005 were both around average and 2003 was obviously very warm.

So, about 13 years since the last very warm August. We've had two very warm July's in the past decade, so August has to deliver at some point.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
1 minute ago, cheese said:

Guess it depends on your definition of decent. 2009, 2012 and 2013 were all average or slightly above average temp-wise, but I don't think any of them were particularly sunny. 2004 and 2005 were both around average and 2003 was obviously very warm.

Must be going senile....totally forgot 2003, it got to 38C here then which was an experience. I remember Aug 1995 well, was nearly a whole month of temps into the high 20's-low 30's and sunshine, fabulous. My definition of decent is above average both in temperatures and sunshine amounts. I'd rather have the sunshine if I had to choose, but I love the warmth too.

Posted

August 1995 was something else - it'd be even hotter if the first 5 days of the month-long heatwave fell in early August instead of late July. I think 25 Jul-24 Aug may well be the warmest 30-day period in the UK? Or that accolade might belong to the late June-early July hot spell of 1976. 

Indeed, having worked out the averages myself, for Leeds weather centre 25 July-24 August had an average high of 26.7C, average low of 14.6C and an overall mean of 20.1C. Just 3mm of rain. 29 July-1 August saw 30C reache on every day, with the overall spell seeing 7 days above 30C here.

It blows July 2006 out of the water. If the first 5 days fell in early August it would have been our warmest month on record by far.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 2

Posted
15 minutes ago, cheese said:

You're being sarcastic, I presume. 

Might be a warmer spell here and there - 17-18C for Leeds now and then. Cloud amounts variable.  Birmingham hot and sunny though.  Better down here. 

Posted
9 minutes ago, cheese said:

August 1995 was something else - it'd be even hotter if the first 5 days of the month-long heatwave fell in early August instead of late July. I think 25 Jul-24 Aug may well be the warmest 30-day period in the UK? Or that accolade might belong to the late June-early July hot spell of 1976. 

Indeed, having worked out the averages myself, for Leeds weather centre 25 July-24 August had an average high of 26.7C, average low of 14.6C and an overall mean of 20.1C. Just 3mm of rain. 29 July-1 August saw 30C reache on every day, with the overall spell seeing 7 days above 30C here.

It blows July 2006 out of the water. If the first 5 days fell in early August it would have been our warmest month on record by far.

I think 1976 pips 1995 but nevertheless Aug 1995 was lovely. Not particularly humid either, just hot and sunny. Had a big storm one morning here too, loads of lightning and torrential rain, which cleared up very quickly to hot sun again. Perfect!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

If there was one thing that 1975, 1976, 1983, 1995, 1997, 2003 and 2006 though: the warmth lasted more than long enough for us to become acclimatised to it?:D

Posted

For anyone interested, these are the hottest months in the UK since the turn of the 20th century:

July 2006
July 1983
August 1995
August 1997
July 1976
August 1975
July 1995
August 1947
July 1921
August 2003

Posted

The average high for the June-July 1976 warmest 30 day period was 29.3c, compared with 28.2c for July 2006.  I'm not sure about the warmest 30 day period in July/August 1995.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
2 hours ago, weather09 said:

Has felt extremely oppressive so far this summer. Florida-style humidity.  Dewpoint 13C currently.  Feel like I'm in a warm sponge.  Unbearable.  

Come down to Bristol - it's cool and windy here haha.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.
2 hours ago, cheese said:

If you use the CET, the warmest 30-day period ever is held jointly by the periods beginning on 22/6/1976 and 24/7/1995, both with a mean CET of 20.4C. In fact, to separate these two, you have to go to 3 decimal places. The 1976 spell becomes 20.373C, and the 1995 spell becomes 20.367C, but since the data are only recorded to one decimal place this is meaningless anyway.

The next Summer to creep in was 2006, when the 30-day period beginning on 30/6/2006 recorded a CET of 19.8C (rounded from 19.75C). The reason July 2006 became the hottest month on record is due to the timing of the hot spell, almost exactly coinciding with a calendar month.

The only other Summers to record 30-day periods of over 19.5C were 1911 and 1983.

• Like 2

Posted

That's what I thought. Both very hot. Shame neither fell entirely within a calendar year.

Posted

The only positive i can give is, is not felt cold for  over 2 weeks now. it wouldnt take much to get a warm sunny spell again.. Last summer never got going for warmth.And there is still the rest of june to go.. along with July August and September. I know September is regarded as autumn month.. But if the high is in the right place going into September it will still feel like Summer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Well what a lovely surprise,spent 3hrs in a vets decom room,the nurses wouldn't  stay for more than couple of minutes due to the temp,all complained how they hated working when it was warm,left building and it was certainly cooler and fresher,so so so much better for working,long may it continue!! But i doubt it will alas,it is summer.:(

• Like 2

Posted
21 minutes ago, NickMdx said:

What was all that nonsense a few weeks ago about June being wall to wall 30' degree sunny heatwave :cc_confused:

A load of nonsense.  WeatherOnline's forecast has a terrible week ahead, with temps returning to average in the 2nd week.  No sign of any warmth though.

Sunshine stilll severely lacking though, this month will comfortably be the cloudiest June on record if that forecast verifies.

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/weather/maps/city?WMO=03772&LAND=UK&LEVEL=51

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Slight changes from the beeb tonight with low pressure now affecting the north next week so more of a north south split developing

242342.png

The changes are down to where the high will sit

Last night

46463463.png

Tonight

345645675.png

As we can see it's closer hence the drier outlook for the south

• Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, Matthew Wilson said:

Great charts SS. Makes it easy for the eye:) There is a chance that this will be the warmest June since 2006 for the CET if that High sits in the right place.

There is always a chance MW, but unlikely imo.:)

Posted
2 minutes ago, DAVID SNOW said:

There is always a chance MW, but unlikely imo.:)

My calculations give me 15.4 to the 23rd and i cannot see imo any less than this in the last week. 2010 had 15.2 and is currently the warmest between 07-15