Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?

Posted
15 hours ago, markyo said:

Fingers crossed we should be seeing the end to the awful humid conditions soon,many will be as happy as i am with that,very hard and tiring week for those who have had to endure it,,..endure is the main word i feel. 

Yes a bit cooler from today really. Lower 20's with a gradual cool down next week. I like anti cyclonic summers but yes this humid cloudy somewhere in the middle weather is not my cup of tea either.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Thankfully looks like a rest bite from the humidity over night,fresher conditions on the way,very welcome i know by many who have had to suffer the weather this last week. Summer should be enjoyed but this week has been far from that. Don't get me wrong i love a summers day,nice breeze,low humidity bout 25c,whats not to like,this week has been nothing like that. Very tough work wise and all my clients moaning about it,not one said they where enjoying it. I think that say's a lot.

Posted

same here,   i like warm..ish,  sunny summer days , not exceessive heat and cloudy humid weather,   i did like cloudy humid weather in yearrs gone by, because it seemed to bring good chances of thunderyness , not that does not apply in recent summers for reasons unkown, 

so if it aint gonna bring storms, do one please

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, IanR said:

same here,   i like warm..ish,  sunny summer days , not exceessive heat and cloudy humid weather,   i did like cloudy humid weather in yearrs gone by, because it seemed to bring good chances of thunderyness , not that does not apply in recent summers for reasons unkown, 

so if it aint gonna bring storms, do one please

It's those in the south east i feel sorry for who don't like the heat and humidity thing,must have been awful over the last week. Was working in London at the start of the week,it was unbearable,felt so sorry for those who have to put up with it. I know it's only a week or so but the lack of sleep and uncomfortable feel soon catches up with you.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
3 hours ago, markyo said:

It's those in the south east i feel sorry for who don't like the heat and humidity thing,must have been awful over the last week. Was working in London at the start of the week,it was unbearable,felt so sorry for those who have to put up with it. I know it's only a week or so but the lack of sleep and uncomfortable feel soon catches up with you.

Most of us here in the SE absolutely loved the gorgeous blue skies, strong sunshine and hot temperatures. Don't worry about us; we used to get spells like that in most summers before the hideous last decade, so most of us are used to a bit of heat and don't cry into our pillows at night wishing it was 17C and raining.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Claire Natalie Havard White said:

2014 in Basingstoke we had 2 wicked thunderstorms , 2016 not one bit of thunder, even tho it's sticky has hell, it's gone from 17 to 34 in Basingstoke within a week!! Can't cope has I have arthritis all over, can anyone tell me why don't Basingstoke Hampshire ever get a good thunderstorm , boring grey weather!!!

Agreed those were awesome storms here in 2014 (the one 13/14 June being in my top 5 rated storms)  a couple of offerings in June this year though in this area which were half decent.. one on 16th that made the roof of Asda leak and close the store and it felt dodgy to be under trees.  The other overnight 22/23 was ok but probably more notabe for the rainfall (38mm in Odiham and 45 in Farnborough not too far away)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

28 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Most of us here in the SE absolutely loved the gorgeous blue skies, strong sunshine and hot temperatures. Don't worry about us; we used to get spells like that in most summers before the hideous last decade, so most of us are used to a bit of heat and don't cry into our pillows at night wishing it was 17C and raining.

I'm not old enough to remember the ultra-hot spells of days gone by, such as the Augusts of 1995 and 1997 (I turn 20 this month so I do have some vague memories of August 2003 and July 2006), and so, to me, the Summers of recent years feel very normal. So I'm simply not as accustomed to or as welcoming of hot spells when they do come. As a weather enthusiast, I am a fan of extremes, but heat is my least favourite of those extremes. For this reason, Summer 2016 has been a good one for me. Not only have I seen the dullest June on record (to have almost everyday in June totally overcast from start to finish was very bizarre), but temperatures have mostly been comfortable during the day and at night when sleeping, with a refreshing breeze to go with it. I.e. no prolonged hot spells.

I fully sympathise with Markyo, London can regularly be 2-3C warmer than here in Chelmsford (from personal experience), presumably because of the UHI. I certainly wouldn't want to live there, especially during the hot spells.

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, stainesbloke said:

You are very welcome to that crap you enjoy,didn't meet one person last week down there who enjoyed it,at least us up north don't whine about when it drops below 21c saying its cold!

• Like 2

Posted
27 minutes ago, markyo said:

You are very welcome to that crap you enjoy,didn't meet one person last week down there who enjoyed it,at least us up north don't whine about when it drops below 21c saying its cold!

1 hour ago, stainesbloke said:

Oh and forgot to add i find it disgraceful that you insinuate that us northerners are so soft  that we cry into our pillows if its to hot at night!!.....Mr Teddy is not happy about that at all!

• Like 3

Posted

Worst aspect of the past week has been the humidity, conditions Tuesday evening were very difficult for sleeping in - our houses are designed to keep heat in, and its this reason we all find it uncomfortable - a house in southern europe is designed to keep heat out, no carpets, window shutter to block the sunlight, air conditioning, white walls etc etc.. 

The last week has finally delivered some decent summer weather - hardly anything classic, just the sort of spell you would normally expect to see in an average British summer during high summer. The immediate outlook though looks rather lacklustre, and August is going to have to be rather special, to enable Summer 2016 to be ranked as one of the better ones, my feeling is it will go down as a rather average one, and instantly forgotton about, similiar to the likes of 2009 and 2010, and whilst not as bad as the likes of 2007, 2008, 2011, 2012 and last year, also not as good overall compared to 2013 and 2014. The year as whole is turning into a rather lacklustre one, much like 2015 up until November when the deluge set in.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

July-September in these parts is the sunniest period of the year on average, with the fewest rain days, most thunderstorms and best chance of high temperatures, so the hope for something decent in the next month or two remains. Certainly for here, August turned out to be the best month of summer last year - my birthday on the 22nd had thunderstorms for most of the afternoon and highs of 26C - that was the max temp for the month, unusually low, but unlike July there wasn't a lot of days under 20C. The first very hot day pretty much skewed that month into appearing less bad than it was.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

It's not crap; it's gorgeous summer conditions that so many other western countries enjoy and don't whine and whinge but just get on with it. Not very nice working in it granted, but as soon as you finish work then the lovely warmth and sunshine can be enjoyed to the max. Try riding the New York subway at this time of year; absolutely awful but millions of suited and booted workers manage to do it. Similarly, millions of Brits head abroad each year to enjoy the heat and sunshine. Must be a particularly British thing to whine about a bit of heat, that most years amount to a week if that of truly hot conditions. The other 51 weeks of the year offer far cooler rubbish, is that not enough?

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
19 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

It's not crap; it's gorgeous summer conditions that so many other western countries enjoy and don't whine and whinge but just get on with it. Not very nice working in it granted, but as soon as you finish work then the lovely warmth and sunshine can be enjoyed to the max. Try riding the New York subway at this time of year; absolutely awful but millions of suited and booted workers manage to do it. Similarly, millions of Brits head abroad each year to enjoy the heat and sunshine. Must be a particularly British thing to whine about a bit of heat, that most years amount to a week if that of truly hot conditions. The other 51 weeks of the year offer far cooler rubbish, is that not enough?

Fully agree, this is one of the worst summer's I can remember, truly abysmally cool and cloudy so a bit of heat is most welcome, it will be Autumn soon enough.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
3 minutes ago, Karl. said:

Fully agree, this is one of the worst summer's I can remember, truly abysmally cool and cloudy so a bit of heat is most welcome, it will be Autumn soon enough.

actually Frosty been a good summer week here, turned warm and sunny last Sunday, and still warm now, today though freshest day since last Sun, not so good oop norf though

Fresher weather never arrived here (south) when it was meant too last Wed/thurs

Edited by I remember Atlantic 252

Posted
17 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

actually Frosty been a good summer week here, turned warm and sunny last Sunday, and still warm now, today though freshest day since last Sun, not so good oop norf though

Fresher weather never arrived here (south) when it was meant too last Wed/thurs

I was talking about before the last week, it's been a pathetic summer on the whole and plenty more cool unsettled dross to come by the looks of it.

Posted

July could actually end up warmer than average funnily enough. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.
1 hour ago, cheese said:

July could actually end up warmer than average funnily enough. 

It almost certainly will, as did June. The year as a whole is hitherto well above average.

Edited by Relativistic

Posted
16 minutes ago, Relativistic said:

It almost certainly will, as did June. The year as a whole is hitherto well above average.

That's due to the huge amounts of daytime cloud that lasted through nearly every night keeping temps up, certainly not due to above average daytime conditions. Had about 4 days of those in 6 weeks!

• Like 1

Posted

Its been a better summer than last year..First 10 days of june were very good. Then we had a decent summer week in the  3rd week of June.  the next 3 weeks were poor. followed by  good weather of late.. Not been perfect by all means. But cant really grumble compared to the likes of 2012 and  2015..

Edited by weatherguru14
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Karl. said:

I was talking about before the last week, it's been a pathetic summer on the whole and plenty more cool unsettled dross to come by the looks of it.

maybe looking at different charts to  you. But doesnt look that bad as we  head into august.??. looks around average temp wise.. plentyof decent days in there..could easily get some warmer  weather in the mix...september may turn out  wonderful.. even october..  high pressure with blue skies and light winds in early october is perfect conditons for me. Love that kind of  conditions even though its only 16/17c..

Posted
54 minutes ago, Relativistic said:

June was marginally warmer than average here, but exceptionally dull, and wetter than average. Odd mix. Not a good month - and shows nicely how warmer than average temps don't automatically equate to good weather.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

Assuming the weatheronline forecast verifies, then we will end up with an average high of 23.7c for this month, which is very close to normal.  It's been drier and cloudier than normal, with 16mm and 187 hrs of sun (assuming forecast is correct).

I don't get why there's been so much moaning about this month, which has been essentially a normal summer month (though it could do with a bit more sun to at least reach the average).  June on the other had was a complete disaster - cloudiest and 8th wettest on record here.

June 2015 was far superior to June 2016, I'd probably take July 2016 over 2015, and August 2016 would have to be something special to be worse than August 2015, which was truly awful. 

I think August will probably be very similar in average temps to July, but sunnier.

Edited by B87

Posted
21 minutes ago, cheese said:

June was marginally warmer than average here, but exceptionally dull, and wetter than average. Odd mix. Not a good month - and shows nicely how warmer than average temps don't automatically equate to good weather.

Yes a cloudy day dominated by westerly/southwesterly airstreams usually results in very mild minima which skews the CET value, whilst maxima reach only average levels at best. Its been the mild minima not maxima which has helped to keep CET values up this year so far, maxima have often been average and for lengthy periods outside of Jan and May below average in the main - last week also excluded. In the summer its the maxima that matters - low 20's maxes and mid teen minima results in a very mild CET

• Like 2

Posted
21 minutes ago, cheese said:

and shows nicely how warmer than average temps don't automatically equate to good weather.

Absolutely, statistics can be so misleading, flaming June it certainly wasn't..I agree with you and stainesbloke and I was a bit worried that I am  experiencing a completely different summer to everyone else but now I know I'm not. All the moaning about a bit of heat and humidity in such a dull, wet and relatively cool summer is truly pathetic.

• Like 2

Posted

June was certainly not a classic summer month, but I'm not the kind of person who cares much about cloud, when there's not a cloud in sight I think "ah that's nice", before getting bored as it dawns on me that I don't like tanning, and I can't bottle and sell it. As you may guess, I don't get SAD. I like mild and dry, June didn't have the dry, but July certainly has. I actually recorded above average maximums as will as minimums for June so it was not the case that it was just warm nights creating misleading data. A little bit more sun and a little bit less rain outside the thunderstorms and June would have been a 8/10 summer month here. I defiantly had no problem with the temp in June other than it would have been nice to have a day or two above 25C. Think the max was 24.3C here, although I didn't mind much as May was pretty good.