Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?

Posted

Its been a summer bookended by decent weather, but with much mediocrity within the central core for the Lake District. Early June was very good, abundant sunshine, temps in the low 20's and lots of dry weather. Mid June saw a change to more typical unsettled conditions and rather cool at times, with much less in the way of sunshine, this pattern continued right through until early August in the main, albeit with the odd temporary blip, 19 July heat was a one day wonder, however, since mid August its been very decent (apart from Fri-Mon last week which brought localised flooding), much more in the way of warm dry sunny weather.

Overall, a half decent summer, better than last year, not quite as good as 2013 and 2014 which delivered much more in the way of sustained very warm dry sunny conditions, but better than 2007-2012 summers. We've had very few very wet days and as I said apart from last Saturday and Monday just gone, no localised flooding events. 

Sunshine levels have though been quite depressed, especially during July.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
6 hours ago, SimonR said:

You come from Hounslow and you think we haven't had any good Augusts in London since 2003?! Blimey, you must be a hard person to please.

2004, 2005, 2009 and 2013 all had way above average daytime temperatures, no little sunshine (especially 2013), and apart from 2004 (which mostly came in the form of thunderstorms), were pretty dry IIRC, again 2013 especially.

I don't remember 2012 being particularly special, apart from a spell during the Olympics, for me it was comparable at best to 2009.

I like our average Augusts, but when I say good I mean good relative to our averages, like 2016, 2003, 1995, 1989 etc.

The months you listed mostly had very average temperatures, apart from 2013 which was 1c above normal.

2004: 23.8c / average sun

2005: 23.2c / above avg sun

2009: 23.9c/ below

2012: 23.5c/ below 

2013: 24.3c/ below

The average August high is 23.2c, so those months were not 'well above' average. Even with slightly above normal temps, when you're getting 150-160 hrs sun when the normal is 205, that is not a good month. 

This August looks like it'll end with average sun, but even if temps were 1c cooler I'd would still be a decent (average) month to me. 

Edited by B87

Posted
On 8/26/2016 at 00:21, cheese said:

Uh, we are talking about a 10-15C difference between the SE and the rest of the country. Unless London is 10-15C warmer than Liverpool on average, I would say that is definitely 'odd' - as in, it's not normal. You probably knew that though. London is about 3C warmer than Liverpool in summer and 1C warmer in winter, so not a big difference at all. If this was a normal heatwave, one where the entire country benefits, Liverpool would have probably reached 30C too, especially with a SE wind.

But that's just an average figure. From watching the weather it doesn't seem that uncommon for 10C differences to occur and as I said, it's just an extension of the NW/SE divide that exists at most times of the year. 

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Glorious late Summers day here, Temp 21c.

20160829_164547_Richtone(HDR).jpg

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

A good chance now all 3 summer months will finish above average for the temperature

June was 0.9c above the 81 to 10 average

July was 0.2c above the 81 to 10 average

August is currently 0.6c above the 81 to 10 average before corrections

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Just spent several days in Germany at 35c, but had the beauty of a room with air conditioning set at 16c. That's how you deal with unpleasantly hot weather :D 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Month so far in the British Isles: http://www.met.reading.ac.uk/~brugge/CURR.html

+1C anomalies are quite widespread in England. Sunshine though is actually below average at most stations still - including Heathrow at 97% of the average. However, I suspect many of them will be average or slightly above after today.

Interesting also that despite the high rainfall totals we've received this month up here, sunshine is at 100% of the average (likely to increase) and temperatures are 1C above average. Guess it shows nicely that over half of our monthly rainfall fell on 2 days. Certainly hasn't felt particularly wet.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Today has been a absolute cracker, as good as any day this summer and one of many down here. Tomorrow looks like it will stay dry and bright until the evening so August and summer will end on a high note here.

Posted

A cloudy drab sort of day here in complete contrast to yesterday. Spits and spots of rain early on. Tomorrow is looking equally cloudy so a rather lacklustre end to summer - summing up the summer overall, one with little conviction.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

never know could we end up with another nice Tuesday? last day of the summer hols here, ECM though looks more realistic, not as goodECM1-168.GIF?30-0

h850t850eu.png

Posted
9 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

Gravesend and Writtle have both hit 25C

You often post charts showing how the South East will be the warmest, or saying that the South East will experience the 'best temperatures and weather'

Why don't you move down here then? Because for me, a sunny day with temperatures around 20 degrees in late August would be perfect!

But again down here, its hot and uncomfortable! ..27 degrees!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
12 minutes ago, DAVID SNOW said:

You often post charts showing how the South East will be the warmest, or saying that the South East will experience the 'best temperatures and weather'

Why don't you move down here then? Because for me, a sunny day with temperatures around 20 degrees in late August would be perfect!

But again down here, its hot and uncomfortable! ..27 degrees!

I don't think 27C is hot and uncomfortable at all. Very pleasant weather in my opinion.

23C and sunny here today, which is very nice as well.

Edited by cheese

Posted
2 hours ago, Essex Easterly said:

Anything above 24c is too hot for me 

Anything below 24c is too cold for me in the summer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow events / Wind storms

think we have the best of both worlds in the uk then

24+ gets me sweating and i cant stand it lol, especially working outdoors, ugh!

Edited by Essex Easterly.

Posted
9 minutes ago, 'ColdIsBest' said:

Anything below 24c is too cold for me in the summer.

Yeah I bet the goosebumps are everywhere at 22C. :rofl:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Final day of summer 2016...another season goes by devoid of anything noteworthy storm wise in this neck of the woods!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms
5 hours ago, CreweCold said:

Final day of summer 2016...another season goes by devoid of anything noteworthy storm wise in this neck of the woods!

Same here Crewe, we had one storm near York in early April that I chased but nothing since. Even with a few plumes we never even got close to a storm. At least I've saved some petrol money and can spend it on snow chasing instead this coming winter.