Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

The Southeast and much (or all?) of Central Southern England is having what as far as I can tell is the warmest August since all the way back in 2003. This is going to have a big impact on how the summer is perceived by the general public, given that it's the summer holidays.

Those further north and west are bound to wonder what the fuss is about, unless perhaps they've taken a long break in the S or SE.

Having said that, 2015 was so dire that for some - perhaps many - it will be making this summer seem better by comparison.

Summer 2014 was on a par with this one down here in that it had two decent months and one mediocre one - it's just that 2016 has for the first time in eons managed to swap June for August in that sense. 

Summer 2013 stands as the best of the last 10 here (i.e. since 2006); July was among the hottest and sunniest on record, and August was at the time the warmest in a decade and notably dry too.

In theory, summer 2013, having come after the washout summer of 2012, should make this summer seem a bit half-baked... but for some reason, hardly any of the locals that I've talked to about it seem to remember it being as good as the stats say it was.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

Saying it's the best August since 2003 isn't saying much, as we haven't had any good August's since then (2004, 2005, 2012 were average, 2013 was slightly above average), but all August's since 2005 have been cloudy (this one is about average with regards to sun).

Edited by B87

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Perfect summer weather the last 2 days here. Low 20s by day, high single figures by night and clear skies throughout. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

I know now why they call Yorkshire Gods own county.After being down in Satan's hot hell of London for 3 days it certainly is Lucifer's domain. So much fresher up North,really makes a huge difference.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
2 hours ago, B87 said:

Saying it's the best August since 2003 isn't saying much, as we haven't had any good August's since then (2004, 2005, 2012 were average, 2013 was slightly above average), but all August's since 2005 have been cloudy (this one is about average with regards to sun).

It will probably be the warmest August since 2003 here as well.

Posted
21 hours ago, Weather-history said:

The depressing thing about that list is that it goes back to at least 1958 but look how many have occurred within the last 10 years.

I wonder if the regional averages for the SE would look that bad, I doubt it but I've been into why before, so no point me going back there.

Because we've been just west of the heat here (again), August 2013 which was decent enough here currently has a mean maxima 0.2C higher than this August, not sure if that will hold by months end but it may do.

Edited by Evening thunder

Posted
4 minutes ago, AderynCoch said:

Repugnant temperature divide the last couple of days.

That is all.

I didn't mind yesterday given it was 26C and sunny which is infinitely more pleasant than 33C, though today was certainly appalling - very low cloud base and a max of 17C.

Tomorrow and the weekend look great, and beyond then looks good too, so all in all I'm not fussed. August will certainly end up warmer than average if the current forecast stays the same.

Edited by cheese

Posted

been in St Ives since saturday, lovely weather, not too hot but feels very hot on the beach. cooler and cloudy today with a bit of rain but had this this evening- 

20160825_201849.jpg20160825_201852.jpg20160825_202334.jpg

stunning double rainbow above the harbour. sadly my camera lens is broken so it doesn't do it justice

Posted
3 hours ago, AderynCoch said:

Repugnant temperature divide the last couple of days.

That is all.

There's a North West/South East divide most of the year so nothing odd really! 

Posted
38 minutes ago, March said:

There's a North West/South East divide most of the year so nothing odd really! 

Uh, we are talking about a 10-15C difference between the SE and the rest of the country. Unless London is 10-15C warmer than Liverpool on average, I would say that is definitely 'odd' - as in, it's not normal. You probably knew that though. London is about 3C warmer than Liverpool in summer and 1C warmer in winter, so not a big difference at all. If this was a normal heatwave, one where the entire country benefits, Liverpool would have probably reached 30C too, especially with a SE wind.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Cracking morning here in Cornwall. Here is a picture of the mist shrouding Truro Cathedral this morning at 7am. Promises to be a superb sunny day today. :D 

image.jpeg

Edited by Costa Del Fal
  • Like 2

Posted

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
2 hours ago, Turnedoutniceagain said:

Sods Law! Though it looks more like showers and thunderstorms with sunshine, not a mass of frontal rain. Some models make nothing of it, hopefully they're on the money. If the weekend stays like today, fantastic, sunny and 25C.

Posted

In the clearer fresher air it's a beautiful day with excellent visibility (contrast to yesterday) and just a few cumulus. The temperature reached 23.2C which is still about the same as the last couple of days. So yeah, the heat never quite reached here.

Posted
On ‎25‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 19:05, markyo said:

I know now why they call Yorkshire Gods own county.After being down in Satan's hot hell of London for 3 days it certainly is Lucifer's domain. So much fresher up North,really makes a huge difference.

Not very nice is it!

At least when I get home, after travelling on the Satanic line, I can enjoy summer weather in my garden, a peaceful cemetery to my south, and the farmers fields to my west.

Posted
On Thursday, August 25, 2016 at 16:57, B87 said:

If we haven't seen a good August since 2003 then surely 'not being good' is average?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
9 hours ago, Spikey M said:

If we haven't seen a good August since 2003 then surely 'not being good' is average?

Nail. Head. Hit. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
6 hours ago, Nick L said:

Nail. Head. Hit. 

No. 

I happen to think our average August's are decent, but when I say 'good', I mean good relative to our average. At the time of that comment, this August was about normal. Since then we've had a warm spell and it will likely end up with temps around 1-1.5c above normal, with average sunshine. The summer as a whole down here will end up around 0.3-0.4c above average, and be the 4th or 5th dullest on record.

The August's of 2004-05 were average, then from 2006-2015 they were mostly poor, apart from 2012 and 2013.

Like Cheese said, you'd think members of a weather forum would be able to understand climate averages... having 10 years of abnormally cloudy summers is not enough to call that the 'normal'. You need 30 years of data.

Edited by B87
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Really enjoying the freshness and drop in temps today,very welcome and so much better than the high humidity of last week. Much more comfortable.

• Like 1

Posted
On 8/25/2016 at 16:57, B87 said:

You come from Hounslow and you think we haven't had any good Augusts in London since 2003?! Blimey, you must be a hard person to please.

2004, 2005, 2009 and 2013 all had way above average daytime temperatures, no little sunshine (especially 2013), and apart from 2004 (which mostly came in the form of thunderstorms), were pretty dry IIRC, again 2013 especially.

I don't remember 2012 being particularly special, apart from a spell during the Olympics, for me it was comparable at best to 2009.

Edited by SimonR

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Some welcome summer-like charts for the first couple of weeks of Autumn, might partially make up for vile autumnal June!