Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
1 hour ago, Nick L said:

This summer is looking likely to be in the top 10 warmest of the CET series. Not bad for a terrible summer.

I do find that difficult to believe but almost certainly because of cloud and cool winds that make a day feel colder yet keep night temps high whereas clear skies would give hotter days but cooler nights.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

for once I think I am in perfect location for my weather preference, sunny and warm, inbetween heat of the SE (which I don't really want and the chill of the NW, which I'd rather not have

Posted

5 hours ago, seaside 60 said:

Blimey that's amazing.

All these people down here that moan and your in E York's not a million miles way and 27c is the best since 2007 in August.

It seems to have been 27c regularly here and we are on the coast.

Yeah, those that live in the SE who like heat should count themselves lucky they live where they do in the UK.

The highest temperature in August here from 2008-2016 recorded on my station has been 25.6C in 2011.. This August hasn't quite reached 25C (24.7C and 24.6C are the highest).
This is due to my location under 3 miles from the south coast (as the wind direction during most hot weather has a southerly element), but this run of no significant high temps in August is unusual even for here.

Still, even if it's not so hot we typically get very pleasant low-mid 20's with blue skies at the same time and it feels hot in the sun of course.

Though this spell is kind of frustrating, we look like being just west of the heat now while Dorset may reach the high 20's with a light offshore wind.

Maybe those who don't like it hot should move here :wink:

Edited by Evening thunder
  • Like 1

Posted

Pleasantly warm here but certainly not hot. Some thin cloud reducing strength of sun and warm air but some breeze too. Warmish night last night but slept like a log as that's no problem for me. Decent late summer weather.

Edited by Jon Somerset

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
45 minutes ago, hillbilly said:

I do find that difficult to believe but almost certainly because of cloud and cool winds that make a day feel colder yet keep night temps high whereas clear skies would give hotter days but cooler nights.

Certainly in your location I'm not surprised you're sceptical! The SE quadrant has had a decent July and August...away from the Hounslow microclimate of course :pardon:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
2 hours ago, Nick L said:

In all seriousness, that figure is probably mostly down to the number of warm nights we've had.

Exactly. All those cloudy nights skew figures giving a inaccurate representation of actual temperatures during the day. 

Cannot complain about the 2nd half of summer here, for the most part some extended periods of sunshine and good temps with little rain. 

Edited by stainesbloke

Posted
10 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Exactly. All those cloudy nights skew figures giving a inaccurate representation of actual temperatures during the day. 

Cannot complain about the 2nd half of summer here, for the most part some extended periods of sunshine and good temps with little rain. 

I've recorded above average highs for May, June, July, and up to now August. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
3 hours ago, cheese said:

And I bet in 10 years time nobody will remember this summer for any reason at all. On the ground it's been completely unremarkable. 

That's why the CET is a poor method of categorising whether a summer has been good or bad.

High temps have been normal, it's only been milder than usual at night due to the increased cloud. The average minima for JJA this year have been 12.8c, 14.5c and 14.2c so far, so even they aren't that much warmer than average.

This summer will be in the top 3 cloudiest on record here, probably escaping being the cloudiest by about 30 hrs or so.

Edited by B87
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Average high in June here was 19.4C.

Average high in July was 21.8C.

Average high so far in August is 21.3C.

That's for my personal weather station, and if you compare it to Church Fenton's averages all three are indeed above average - but only just. The nights have deviated from the average more so than the days. More than likely the averages for Leeds itself are a bit higher than Church Fenton so I'd definitely call this a bog-standard summer like 2005 or2 2004.

Yes, it's decent - but nothing to remember.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 2

Posted
10 minutes ago, cheese said:

Average high in June here was 19.4C.

Average high in July was 21.8C.

Average high so far in August is 21.3C.

That's for my personal weather station, and if you compare it to Church Fenton all three are above average - but only just. The nights have deviated from the average more so than the days.

For here:

June 20.6c (-0.4c)

July 23.9c (+0.4c)

August 24.1c so far

Assuming it stays that way, the summer will have an average high of 22.9c, which is very slightly above average (22.6c).

Edited by B87

Posted
55 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Certainly in your location I'm not surprised you're sceptical! The SE quadrant has had a decent July and August...away from the Hounslow microclimate of course :pardon:

A dig at me I assume. July and August have been about normal, but June was awful, one of the worst June's ever here.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.

How anyone can describe this July and Aug as around normal south of the midlands is beyond me esp London south east wards.
They must have there own personal cloud hanging over them, lol  

:D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

In nearly 10 years of owning a weather station, I hadn't reached 30°C, until this Summer, then hit it twice. Warmest day of the year, today. Currently at 30.5°C

Posted
8 minutes ago, seaside 60 said:

How anyone can describe this July and Aug as around normal south of the midlands is beyond me esp London south east wards.
They must have there own personal cloud hanging over them, lol  

:D

Temps have been slightly above average and sunshine has been slightly below average this July and August. That's why it's been 'around normal'.

'Normal' in July or August in London means 23-24c highs and 205-215 hrs of sun. July had 183 hrs and August will probably end up around 190 hrs.

Edited by B87

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

But, from a statistical perspective, about 95% of all our summers are 'around normal'? But, should this summer end up among the top-ten CET-wise, it'll be outwith that normality - at least in terms of temperature?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

In my opinion July and August have been pretty decent or above average, apart from a couple of days there has been very little rainfall, quite a lot of sunshine at times and the 30C mark has been breached in both months.To be honest I can forgive this June as the dominant theme for the first half was due to low heights over Europe and east/north easterly winds which doesn't give cold conditions for all unlike northerly winds or a trough stuck over the top of us, it just meant rain and low cloud down here and sunny and warm/very warm weather in northern and western areas.

As an aside given there was a lot of pessimism from quite a few on here about this summer back in the spring, it really hasn't turned out to be that a season overall.

Posted
6 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

But, from a statistical perspective, about 95% of all our summers are 'around normal'? But, should this summer end up among the top-ten CET-wise, it'll be outwith that normality - at least in terms of temperature?

That's mostly because it's been warmer up north in June. Looking at the mean temperature down here, it isn't particularly noteworthy. June-August mean for summer 2016 here is 18.4c, compared with the average of 17.9c.

I prefer to focus on the local area or the SE region, rather than looking at the CET which can distort things.

Edited by B87

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
2 minutes ago, B87 said:

That's mostly because it's been warmer up north in June. Looking at the mean temperature down here, it isn't particularly noteworthy. June-August mean for summer 2016 here is 18.4c, compared with the average of 17.9c.

But, unless I've misunderstood, the CET largely excludes both the far SE and the far NW? IMO, that's why it is a fairly good guide to overall summer temperatures...It is also consistent with long-term records...:D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
31 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

In nearly 10 years of owning a weather station, I hadn't reached 30°C, until this Summer, then hit it twice. Warmest day of the year, today. Currently at 30.5°C

Reaching 30C is not a noteworthy occasion here. More years reach it than not. This is the second consecutive year we've exceeded 30C. Reached it in 2013 and 2011 as well. But then, it's not too unusual for this area of the country to be amongst the warmest - certainly the daytime temps are warmer than most south coast locations (but sunshine is lower).

All but one year from 1995 to 2006 reached 30C here - that year being 1998 (crap summer). We could well reach 30C pretty much every year for the next 8 or 9 years if we return to summers of the mid 90s-mid 00s. 

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.

Well according  to NW temp tracker.

May 2c over

June 1.3c over

July 1c over

Aug to now 1.3c over.

Thats the CET and in my mind London SE wards has been much higher.

As mentioned by Nick L this summer CET could be top ten, which puts it in the well above average.

Or am I wrong in this assumption.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
15 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

But, unless I've misunderstood, the CET largely excludes both the far SE and the far NW? IMO, that's why it is a fairly good guide to overall summer temperatures...It is also consistent with long-term records...:D

"These daily and monthly temperatures are representative of a roughly triangular area of the United Kingdom enclosed by Lancashire, London and Bristol" - fairly representative for a large proportion of the population.

Fig_for_ERW.jpg

Edited by Nick L
  • Like 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, seaside 60 said:

Well according  to NW temp tracker.

May 2c over

June 1.3c over

July 1c over

Aug to now 1.3c over.

Thats the CET and in my mind London SE wards has been much higher.

As mentioned by Nick L this summer CET could be top ten, which puts it in the well above average.

Or am I wrong in this assumption.

The mean temp in London this summer so far is 18.4c, which looks unlikely to change in the final week.  That's only 0.5c above the long term average summer mean of 17.9c, so it's been a case of being notably above average further north and west, and only slightly above average here (though still warmer in absolute terms).

Posted
12 minutes ago, Nick L said:

"These daily and monthly temperatures are representative of a roughly triangular area of the United Kingdom enclosed by Lancashire, London and Bristol" - fairly representative for a large proportion of the population.

Fig_for_ERW.jpg

That map is not roughly triangular. The true CET area excludes much of the east, while this summer has seen more above average anomalies in the west, which are more well represented by the CET.