Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
13 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

My backyard has had a lovely summer so far:good:

Seems like many of your fellow Londoners don't agree with you however. Not hard to see why though - relative to average I think we've actually had a better summer than you guys have this year, being sunnier in June and July. Think you'll be sunnier this month though.

Edited by cheese

Posted

Already clouding over here, was clear at 6am. That's what everyone is sick of. This summer hasn't been too bad for temperatures, and since July has been reasonably dry, but too much cloud. Always that cloud. And wind. Summers are so windy for some reason nowadays, today and most of this week a good example. I'm sure the two (increased wind and cloud) are connected.

Although this summer is better than 2015, it has been spoilt yet again by nuisance cloud and wind, just somewhat less so than last year. June was far too dull, although May was decent enough. More days over 20C than last year for certain though.

• Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, Summer of 95 said:

Already clouding over here, was clear at 6am. That's what everyone is sick of. This summer hasn't been too bad for temperatures, and since July has been reasonably dry, but too much cloud. Always that cloud. And wind. Summers are so windy for some reason nowadays, today and most of this week a good example. I'm sure the two (increased wind and cloud) are connected.

Although this summer is better than 2015, it has been spoilt yet again by nuisance cloud and wind, just somewhat less so than last year. June was far too dull, although May was decent enough. More days over 20C than last year for certain though.

It's a fine day here, but one thing that annoys me is when you get a big cumulus cloud that blocks the sun, and when you think it's moving away it just back builds and seems to remain in the same place forever and ever. I swear the sun is a cloud magnet and the cumulus cloud will just follow the sun wherever it is, even when the rest of the sky is clear.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Stunner of a day!

Posted

What a lovely day here, it's a bit breezy but mostly sunny and warmer than forecast at 20C already.

As I suspected, the Met Office/BBC have overestimated cloud amounts today- I reckon it could be similar right through the weekend. They have also forecast temperatures too low for us in these parts, as I suspected when the sun appeared straight away this morning.

Posted
6 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

What a lovely day here, it's a bit breezy but mostly sunny and warmer than forecast at 20C already.

As I suspected, the Met Office/BBC have overestimated cloud amounts today- I reckon it could be similar right through the weekend. They have also forecast temperatures too low for us in these parts, as I suspected when the sun appeared straight away this morning.

I noticed that as well. They were going for heavy cloud this morning but we had sunny spells instead. Now we have largely clear skies with only fair weather cloud drifting by.

Guess we'll see what happens over the weekend.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
17 minutes ago, cheese said:

I noticed that as well. They were going for heavy cloud this morning but we had sunny spells instead. Now we have largely clear skies with only fair weather cloud drifting by.

Guess we'll see what happens over the weekend.

We had low cloud this morning which burned off by about 10am to a sunny day; what you'd expect to see in August really.

Relative to average, June was awful, July was slightly warmer but cloudier than normal, and August looks like being the most normal month of the summer.

If September is warmer and sunnier than average, say average high 21-22c with 170-200 hrs of sun, it will override the pathetic June and the summer will go down as a decent one.

Edited by B87
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Cracking day here! Wall to wall sunshine and very pleasant and a nice little breeze. One of the best summer days for sure. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Best day here for some time, clear blue skies and nudging 26C now. There is a breeze but it's not too strong. If only we had many more days like this in summer!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot
1 hour ago, Nick L said:

There's always a few! Unless you're frail/ill I cannot see how you possibly need a coat in this weather.

As you get older your body's ability to accurately "measure" its core temperature becomes increasingly impaired.  Thermoregulation is the job of the hypothalamus.  Now I'm aging I find it cool outdoors topless at ambient temps around 20C, ten years ago I was comfortable at 15-16C.  My ability to withstand extreme cold still works as it should, but that's a different mechanism.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
2 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Best day here for some time, clear blue skies and nudging 26C now. There is a breeze but it's not too strong. If only we had many more days like this in summer!

Totally agree,21c by me lovely fresh breeze,perfect conditions. Proper summer weather!

Posted
6 minutes ago, Wildswimmer Pete said:

As you get older your body's ability to accurately "measure" its core temperature becomes increasingly impaired.  Thermoregulation is the job of the hypothalamus.  Now I'm aging I find it cool outdoors topless at ambient temps around 20C, ten years ago I was comfortable at 15-16C.  My ability to withstand extreme cold still works as it should, but that's a different mechanism.

To be fair Pete, I've seen more young people wrapped up for winter in this kind of weather than older folk. Usually females I have to say.

• Like 3

Posted
8 minutes ago, Nick L said:

To be fair Pete, I've seen more young people wrapped up for winter in this kind of weather than older folk. Usually females I have to say.

Always old people I see wrapped up in coats in this weather. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot

Sunny with some grey Sc clouds a little larger than "fair weather".  According to my garden sensor it's 21C, Liverpool ATIS is reporting 20C.  Still quite a breeze.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

A lovely blue sky day here too.

I was just pondering how dry the ground is now and indeed how little rain has fallen around these parts since the start of July.

I havent got my own records these days but taken from Bablake weather station in nearby Coventry shows July only 17mm fell and so far this month 10.4mm.

http://www.bablakeweather.co.uk/last-month-in-coventry

http://www.bablakeweather.co.uk/august-2016-data-file

In all honesty as i play a lot of golf- 3/4 times some weeks- this has been great conditions,fairways firm and running and hardly any need for rain wear.It has been a good Summer therefore for me but of course i am aware folks further north west will and are having a much different(wetter)experience.The only downside is the amount of watering needed in the gardens.

As always in this country it is all down to location.

Oh and although i am old it's been short sleeves and no coats for me for weeks now.:D  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
14 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Must be a female trait,bit like wanting the heating on all the time!....

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Further to my post regarding rainfall above.

Quite a contrast between June and July in the distribution nationwide.

Images for both months with totals and anomalies side by side.Taken from the MO site.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/summaries/anomacts

2016_6_Rainfall_Actual.gif2016_6_Rainfall_Anomaly_1981-2010.gif

2016_7_Rainfall_Actual.gif2016_7_Rainfall_Anomaly_1981-2010.gif

June apart from a small part of western Scotland was fairly wet,especially for England and Wales with large areas receiving over 100% of the month's average.

A complete change for July with large areas of the south receiving small amounts but the north west much wetter which underlines my perception of dryness down here.

Edited by phil nw.
  • Like 1

Posted

Both July and the first half of August combined must rank as one of the driest periods for the respective time of year in places.

Edited by Nick L

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
23 minutes ago, cheese said:

Always old people I see wrapped up in coats in this weather. 

There is a guy walks past my house to work every day and always wears the same coat  wether the coldest day in winter and even the hottest of summer days[all 2 of them]

Posted
4 minutes ago, reef said:

Then you're setting yourself up to be disappointed. 170-200 hours of sunshine in September would be record-breaking. Even the exceptional September 2003 only just about managed it.

I honestly don't get some people in here. Its like they crave warm and sunny weather in summer but set the bar too high so they can have a whinge about it, essentially meaning they don't enjoy the very weather they actually want!

Spot on.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
12 minutes ago, reef said:

Then you're setting yourself up to be disappointed. 170-200 hours of sunshine in September would be record-breaking. Even the exceptional September 2003 only just about managed it.

I honestly don't get some people in here. Its like they crave warm and sunny weather in summer but set the bar too high so they can have a whinge about it, essentially meaning they don't enjoy the very weather they actually want!

170-200 hours would not be record breaking. The average here is about 150 hrs, and the record is 209 hrs.