Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot

I initially wrote off today as yet another grey, cold and damp Autumn day yet when I left the swimming pool it was sunny and warm, although still windy.

Edited by Wildswimmer Pete
typo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
3 hours ago, summer blizzard said:

Personally i'm ready for summer to end and am always interested in the potential for a below average CET value. Uppers look quite cool by later in the week..

Recm1922.gif

Really? Because cool uppers are such a novelty here in the wonderful UK? Oh lovely, more cloud, wind and 20C max temps, I just can't wait. As cheese remarked, we have hardly had any summer to enjoy yet.

Saying that, sun actually came out here for a few hours today! Felt lovely and warm too, sadly all too soon grey skies have returned and it feels and looks more like late September. 

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.
2 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

Really? Because cool uppers are such a novelty here in the wonderful UK? Oh lovely, more cloud, wind and 20C max temps, I just can't wait. As cheese remarked, we have hardly had any summer to enjoy yet.

Saying that, sun actually came out here for a few hours today! Felt lovely and warm too, sadly all too soon grey skies have returned and it feels and looks more like late September. 

Yes, some of us do enjoy the prospect of cool uppers and unseasonably cool weather. I am a huge fan. Why? Because it is becoming extremely rare these days to achieve record cold away from the Winter months (and even here I think our days are numbered). The final third of July 2015 was amazing for its exceptional coolness, and the very cold end to April this year was also a nice surprise. That's all we have had since July 2015. In the same time, we have seen record heat in July 2015 (hottest July day ever), one of the mildest Novembers ever recorded, the mildest December of all time, record mildness in January, record heat in May, and record heat in July just gone also.

I was gutted to see that the "Arctic armageddon" that was being modelled earlier this month never really happened, because these things almost never do happen nowadays, especially in Summer. The coldest Summer of recent times, 2011, didn't even make the top 100 coldest on the CET. This is why I want unseasonable coolness, in the future it might not even be possible. It makes such spells much more meteorologically interesting when they do happen. Quite frankly, I'm bored of record heat.

Edited by Relativistic
  • Like 4

Posted
3 hours ago, markyo said:

Yep agree,September warmth is more than fine,at least  we don't have the pollen then!!

Been another very good year for little effect on hay fever once again,must be all the rain during the middle part of summer,hay fever season came early this year the first half of june when the weather great,normally affects me from about june 20th.

I must be growing immune to it,eat some local honey.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
43 minutes ago, Relativistic said:

Yes, some of us do enjoy the prospect of cool uppers and unseasonably cool weather. I am a huge fan. Why? Because it is becoming extremely rare these days to achieve record cold away from the Winter months (and even here I think our days are numbered). The final third of July 2015 was amazing for its exceptional coolness, and the very cold end to April this year was also a nice surprise. That's all we have had since July 2015. In the same time, we have seen record heat in July 2015 (hottest July day ever), one of the mildest Novembers ever recorded, the mildest December of all time, record mildness in January, record heat in May, and record heat in July just gone also.

I was gutted to see that the "Arctic armageddon" that was being modelled earlier this month never really happened, because these things almost never do happen nowadays, especially in Summer. The coldest Summer of recent times, 2011, didn't even make the top 100 coldest on the CET. This is why I want unseasonable coolness, in the future it might not even be possible. It makes such spells much more meteorologically interesting when they do happen. Quite frankly, I'm bored of record heat.

It's become hard to get record warmth when people actually want it - in summer. There's been a rash of record warm months in winter, spring and autumn but the only summer month in recent years to feature highly in terms of warmth was July 2013. July 2015 might have had one very hot day but the month as a whole was cool - with only the first hot day skewing things towards average.

Keep the cold records to winter and heat records to summer, I say. The UK has never had pronounced seasons compared to most places in the world - the last thing we need is cool summers and mild winters to make the seasons even less different.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
4 minutes ago, Snowyowl9 said:

Been another very good year for little effect on hay fever once again,must be all the rain during the middle part of summer,hay fever season came early this year the first half of june when the weather great,normally affects me from about june 20th.

I must be growing immune to it,eat some local honey.

everyone different, but cooler and wetter make pollen allergies worse for me, normally fine the hotter and drier it is, normally starts after Wimbledon, through to early Sept

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
1 hour ago, Relativistic said:

But some of this record heat occurred in a one day hot snap, blink and you miss it affair. Not enough time to get bored of it. Why people want unseasonable cold in summer seems so odd. If we had an Iberian climate, fair enough, but the UK, where it is often so miserably cool and cloudy in summer? Might be 'interesting' but for most of us, unpleasant. Each to their own I suppose. Winter cold has indeed been hard to achieve in recent years (apart from seemingly forgotten Dec 2010) and I can understand frustrations with this but I'd rather we keep record cold in winter and get properly warm summers. Hard enough to achieve in our maritime climate but still better than a 12 month perma-Autumn which doesn't seem to be popular with anyone. 

Edited by stainesbloke

Posted
11 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

But some of this record heat occurred in a one day hot snap, blink and you miss it affair. Not enough time to get bored of it. Why people want unseasonable cold in summer seems so odd. If we had an Iberian climate, fair enough, but the UK, where it is often so miserably cool and cloudy in summer? Might be 'interesting' but for most of us, unpleasant. Each to their own I suppose. Winter cold has indeed been hard to achieve in recent years (apart from seemingly forgotten Dec 2010) and I can understand frustrations with this but I'd rather we keep record cold in winter and get properly warm summers. Hard enough to achieve in our maritime climate but still better than a 12 month perma-Autumn which doesn't seem to be popular with anyone. 

The county of Surrey, so far this summer, has been warmer and dryer than average, not bad at all!

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, DAVID SNOW said:

The county of Surrey, so far this summer, has been warmer and dryer than average, not bad at all!

Has only felt like that a few days this month and last, shame about the June gloom and certainly wasn't warm and dry then.

Posted

recent summers daytime maximums seem to be getting  a touch cooler overall, apart from  rare odd 30c days here and there that gives misleading 'better than average' temps for the cet, gone are days of consistant warm temps in the low to mid twenties over a few weeks ,   its seems to be cooler temps are the norm , then we get one day of 30c that gives the summer months faux above average readings, 

this july was a good example,  mostly a lot of cool depressing grey days, but one 31c day , now we have a warm month overall, crazy

seems its all or nothing

Posted
3 minutes ago, IanR said:

recent summers daytime maximums seem to be getting  a touch cooler overall, apart from  rare odd 30c days here and there that gives misleading 'better than average' temps for the cet, gone are days of consistant warm temps in the low to mid twenties over a few weeks ,   its seems to be cooler temps are the norm , then we get one day of 30c that gives the summer months faux above average readings, 

this july was a good example,  mostly a lot of cool depressing grey days, but one 31c day , now we have a warm month overall, crazy

seems its all or nothing

July here was quite nice, sunshine was normal and vast majority of days were above 20C. June, OTOH, was not so good.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
1 hour ago, stainesbloke said:

Has only felt like that a few days this month and last, shame about the June gloom and certainly wasn't warm and dry then.

Have you got an automated repeat-script enabled?

• Like 1

Posted
15 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Have you got an automated repeat-script enabled?

Yes! How did you guess?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

If you're a warm and dry summer fan, and you're not happy with a summer that's warmer and drier than normal, then you're in the wrong country! 

• Like 3

Posted
35 minutes ago, Nick L said:

If you're a warm and dry summer fan, and you're not happy with a summer that's warmer and drier than normal, then you're in the wrong country! 

Finally worked that out this year (for myself, can't speak for anyone else). Decision to move to warmer, sunnier climes has been made.

The most important aspect of summer for me is sunshine amounts, closely followed by temperature. I actually like some rain in summer as it freshens the landscape and helps with my allotments. 

Apologies if some of my posts are overly negative; the last few years have affected me quite a lot mentally, I get depressed with  too many grey skies. 

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
6 hours ago, Nick L said:

you're in South nick! been good summer there, but members north of Birmingham had it rough windy and westerly

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Not a bad summer at all in my area,not to much in the way of humidity and heat apart from the odd spell thankfully,now the outlook is normal gentle heat,nothing to whine about,hopefully into a better Autumn but we shall see.

Posted

Lovely summers day,find it so weird that folk are walking around with coats on! No idea why.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
6 minutes ago, markyo said:

Lovely summers day,find it so weird that folk are walking around with coats on! No idea why.

There's always a few! Unless you're frail/ill I cannot see how you possibly need a coat in this weather.

Posted
4 hours ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

you're in South nick! been good summer there, but members north of Birmingham had it rough windy and westerly

ok so im more or less right by Brum  buts its been decent here this summer alot of dry warm days  very usable weather

Posted

Lovely skies today (blue!) should be a really nice August day.

image.jpeg

Posted
4 minutes ago, Nick L said:

There's always a few! Unless you're frail/ill I cannot see how you possibly need a coat in this weather.

They are not frail at all! Just don't get it,perfect summers day,nice breeze,blue sky,what more could you want? North west of Scotland though is a different matter all together!

Posted

Not hard to see why - here it's 'only' 20C but there's a gusty breeze. Takes the edge off the temperature. Not what I'd call the quintessential summers day.

Still nice - but that wind is totally pointless and serves no purpose. Save the breezes for stuffy days.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1