Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
44 minutes ago, Jon Somerset said:

I think we've been luckier in the south-west. Although it's been cool with only the one very short plume last month, we have at least had plenty of sunshine to offset that, and much less rain than the Midlands or north during July. The last few days have been cold and felt more like early autumn, but dry and sunny bar the one soaking last week. 
Really I could do with some more heat and the next plume looks like being far too short-lived again. 

I would love a proper heatwave. Glad I had a month off in June down by the med where I had exactly that :rofl:

Yes, would love a proper, old fashioned heatwave that lasts a good week or two, rather than the modern, pathetically short equivalent. Hasn't been too bad here really  but also felt almost chilly the last few days. Still, loads of usable weather without much rain to keep me stuck indoors (unlike June) but I'm just craving some proper warmth and sunshine, am nowhere near ready for Autumn yet, been suffering Autumnal weather much of this year!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Oh good, spots of rain now, and cool. Need this nice weather to hurry up and arrive!

Posted

Today and possibly the next couple of days have summed up what's been wrong with this summer- high pressure too far south and cloud spilling over the top of it with W/NW winds. We have alternated between fresh  (far too fresh- as another poster alluded to, I can't stand that word in summer!) and humid with warm nights but generally not outstanding temperatures by day.

In NW England, westerlies are a really terrible direction in summer, and NW winds even worse. I imagine areas further south and east haven't done that badly over the last couple of days. The only comfort is that this summer has been better than the likes of 2007 with southerly tracking lows, which had no heat at all to speak of in these parts- at least we have had some and managed 30C, even if the hot spells have been very fleeting.

Bring back the high dew points- at least we will get that if nothing else from the weekend onwards!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
5 hours ago, markyo said:

Sorry to say it's my kind of weather today,still in shorts and t-shirt,no way at all cold or even cool for me. Loving the freshness. We are all just programmed differently i suspect to certain types of temperature. Don't get me wrong at all,for summer today was crap,just not crap for me!

Indeed. My hands and feet are always boiling. Even in Winter I rarely get cold even when there is frost and snow on the ground. I could probably make do with absolutely no heating on all Winter if it wasn't for the missus. Sometimes I have to sneak outside for a breather to get out of the sauna! :clap:

• Like 1

Posted

how over hyped was/is that warm up spell ??  the gfs at one point had hot weather for a week or more and some of the temperatures predicted were out of this world..Now apart from Tuesday nothing   outstanding at all.. well for most of the UK. am sure the SE will do  a bit better.. Nonsense that's all I can say.

Posted
6 hours ago, Scorcher said:

In NW England, westerlies are a really terrible direction in summer, and NW winds even worse. I imagine areas further south and east haven't done that badly over the last couple of days. The only comfort is that this summer has been better than the likes of 2007 with southerly tracking lows, which had no heat at all to speak of in these parts- at least we have had some and managed 30C, even if the hot spells have been very fleeting.

Not by much at the moment, the Manchester Summer Index is currently 179 and summer 2007 was 174. Sunshine levels have been the real problem this summer rather than the rain. The first few days of June were promising but it never got off the ground after this.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Do feel sorry for those taken in by the press and the over posting of charts so far out that they just can't be relied on to any degree. Exactly the same thing happens in winter. The maritime nature of our weather makes any forecasting so hard,one slight variable can have such a ripple change effect to the out come. All for being positive but this needs to be coupled with caution i feel as well in case hopes are raised for no reason which they have been in this case.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

thing is, models always seem to underestimate the Atlantic, mostly in winter, but August is an Atlantic dominated month

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Broken cloud with some sunny spells this morning. If only we could just get rid of the damned wind. No need!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: wintry

heavy showers and windy...like a warm day in early November. Distinctly "Back end-ish"

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

Nice today. Very autumnal. Wind, rain, and cool!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

A lovely summer's day here again! If it wasn't for the bad start I'd be wishing I was at the Oval this afternoon.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
1 minute ago, Nick L said:

A lovely summer's day here again! If it wasn't for the bad start I'd be wishing I was at the Oval this afternoon.

Yep. Spot on here, too. Plenty of blue sky and feeling warm. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

17C, cloudy, breezy and damp. Definitely not feeling summery up here today. Days like this are why I hate the UK's climate sometimes. Even in months that are average you get crap like this.

Edited by cheese

Posted
4 minutes ago, cheese said:

17C, cloudy, breezy and damp. Definitely not feeling summery up here today. Days like this are why I hate the UK's climate sometimes. Even in months that are average you get crap like this.

It's very much like last summer with the north-south split.

Posted
9 minutes ago, Nick L said:

It's very much like last summer with the north-south split.

Not really Nick. I don't think there's been much difference at all between here and down south for the duration of this summer, or last summer. Indeed, August last year was a much better month here than it was down there, and July this year was warmer than average. It's just the past couple of days that haven't been very good here and the weekend isn't looking too good either.

That being said, I've checked the max temps at Heathrow and they've been 4C below average for the past couple of days too.

This summer seems to have been more of an east-west split.

2016_7_MaxTemp_Anomaly_1981-2010.gif

2016_7_Rainfall_Anomaly_1981-2010.gif

2016_7_Sunshine_Anomaly_1981-2010.gif

And FWIW, here's August last year, showing an inverse north-south split:

2015_8_MaxTemp_Anomaly_1981-2010.gif

2015_8_Rainfall_Anomaly_1981-2010.gif

2015_8_Sunshine_Anomaly_1981-2010.gif

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
20 minutes ago, Nick L said:

know someone going tomorrow from Walton, Stafford, great timing for weather 26C, where I'll be stuck under 17C and grey

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

lovely day here, nice sunshine, temps in the low 70's.....a little bit of mid-level Ac, with a bit of a breeze....looks like this area will get the highest temps over the next few days

Posted

I think many have been led up the garden path by the output recently,not surprised at all to be honest with charts showing what they where. A much more usual end to summer is on the cards thankfully,no awful plume weather to endure!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Personally i'm ready for summer to end and am always interested in the potential for a below average CET value. Uppers look quite cool by later in the week..

Recm1922.gif

• Like 5

Posted
25 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

Personally i'm ready for summer to end and am always interested in the potential for a below average CET value. Uppers look quite cool by later in the week..

Recm1922.gif

How can you be ready for summer to end when it barely got going in the first place? 

• Like 2

Posted

Very poor end to summer for those craving the heat,just hoping the autumn brings some seasonal weather for a change....how daft am i to even think that!

Posted
3 minutes ago, markyo said:

Very poor end to summer for those craving the heat,just hoping the autumn brings some seasonal weather for a change....how daft am i to even think that!

I don't know, I quite enjoy a September warm spell. It rarely gets uncomfortably warm and nights are long so plenty of time for cooling.

Even so, plenty of pleasant days to come over the next week.

Posted
1 hour ago, Nick L said:

I don't know, I quite enjoy a September warm spell. It rarely gets uncomfortably warm and nights are long so plenty of time for cooling.

Even so, plenty of pleasant days to come over the next week.

Yep agree,September warmth is more than fine,at least  we don't have the pollen then!!

• Like 1