Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot
1 hour ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

sigh, cheshire gap day, NW'lys suck!

Yes, the Anomalous Northwesterly strikes again.  That affects me because a NWesterly results in orthographic lifting over the Mid-Cheshire Ridge leaving my locality sitting under a "grey lid".

Posted
3 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

Depends when you grew up..if you grew up and memories kick in from the late 80s onwards then summers of your childhood and teens were indeed very good...if you grew up in the 1970s then summers of the 70s and 80s were mostly much worse than those of today..75,76,83 being the exception..if you born before that good summers were even more scarce.

Sorry but I disagree.  I experienced the summers of the 1950s and '60s so my observations were actual, not secondhand from dry figures.  Both decades saw mixed summers with 1959 almost rivaling '76.  In contrast winter 62/63 was the coldest of the 20th Century with the summers of '62 and '63 being shockers despite what the dry figures suggest.  Summer sunshine figures sometimes give a wrong impression because any sunshine was recorded during the small hours when most of us are asleep, with the waking hours plagued by Cu infill as with the past few years.  As Stainesbloke remarks, in my day we had four distinct seasons in the right places, not the "Forever Autumn" we endure nowadays.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
18 minutes ago, Wildswimmer Pete said:

Sorry but I disagree.  I experienced the summers of the 1950s and '60s so my observations were actual, not secondhand from dry figures.  Both decades saw mixed summers with 1959 almost rivaling '76.  In contrast winter 62/63 was the coldest of the 20th Century with the summers of '62 and '63 being shockers despite what the dry figures suggest.  Summer sunshine figures sometimes give a wrong impression because any sunshine was recorded during the small hours when most of us are asleep, with the waking hours plagued by Cu infill as with the past few years.  As Stainesbloke remarks, in my day we had four distinct seasons in the right places, not the "Forever Autumn" we endure nowadays.

Maybe..but those summers and the summers of the 70s and 80s were far worse than those of 1989-2006 and still worse than those of today which apparently are disgusting and awful...im guessing by the posts here a lot people here grew up in that 1989-06 period

Posted
1 minute ago, cheeky_monkey said:

Maybe..but those summers and the summers of the 70s and 80s were far worse than those of 1989-2006 and still worse than those of today which apparently are disgusting and awful...im guessing by the posts here a lot people here grew up in that 1989-06 period

You weren't there, I was.  My comments are actual observations, not secondhand from reading books.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
Just now, Wildswimmer Pete said:

You weren't there, I was.  My comments are actual observations, not secondhand from reading books.

No but I experienced the summers of the 70s and 80s and you cant tell me the summers od the 50s and 60s were better?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

definite 'tues wed' plume then again, like the last 2 really, not bothered either way, but would rather the Atlantic wasn't too strong, by end of next week

Posted

The summers during the '50s differed from those of the '60s just as the summers during the '70s differed from the '60s.  For certain reasons my long-term memory is exceptionally keen, but basically I don't especially recollect much from 1979 onwards.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I just don't really remember summers. Definitely the dullest of the 4 seasons in my book.

• Like 3

Posted
6 minutes ago, Nick L said:

I just don't really remember summers. Definitely the dullest of the 4 seasons in my book.

I mostly remember 50's and 60's summers because of my schooldays' 6-week summer holidays.  When I left school in '67 and started working I'd started riding motorcycles which means I had to take notice of the weather, especially during the winter which added the extra risk of icy roads. 

Posted
4 minutes ago, Wildswimmer Pete said:

I mostly remember 50's and 60's summers because of my schooldays' 6-week summer holidays.  When I left school in '67 and started working I'd started riding motorcycles which means I had to take notice of the weather, especially during the winter which added the extra risk of icy roads. 

All I really remember each summer is that we had some warm and sunny days, some unsettled days - like a summer is supposed to be in this country! Aside from a decent thunderstorm every 5 years or so, summer to me is a very forgetful season.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
31 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Yes, they have certainly become that in the last 10 years. I'm not saying previous years were necessarily better (although a few were, by a large margin), but that there was more of a variety of weather types, good, bad and average. Basically, traditional, changeable conditions for NW Europe.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
44 minutes ago, Nick L said:

That would be winter for me. Unless it's snowing, winter in the UK is a dreary, horrible experience.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
1 minute ago, cheese said:

That would be winter for me. Unless it's snowing, winter in the UK is a dreary, horrible experience.

I used to look forward to all the seasons as we actually got a variety of interesting weather types and it was quite exciting anticipating seasonal highlights such as snow (or heat and storms in summer). The last decade has often just sucked the joy out of weather watching. Maybe it's just me getting grumpier as I get older?!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
17 minutes ago, AderynCoch said:

Oh joy, it's raining.

I'm sure I'll join in with this dry spell everyone else seems to be having at some point.

Rain here too, surprisingly. Only 1mm though - grass verges here are very yellow, some totally yellow. Will take a lot more rain to make any difference.

Posted

We've probably had about 15-20mm since the start of July, and not likely to get any significant rainfall for the next week. 

Posted

GFS 12z cooler still for next week. Monday would be pleasantly warm, Tuesday borderline hot and then the cold front sweeps through on Wednesday. Very much a "hot snap".

Edited by Nick L
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Not a bad outlook it has to be said. For once it looks like August is delivering something summery this year rather than being plunged into Autumn a month early like recent years. 

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Nick L said:

GFS 12z cooler still for next week. Monday would be pleasantly warm, Tuesday borderline hot and then the cold front sweeps through on Wednesday. Very much a "hot snap".

Monday pleasantly warm? I would say we'd do rather better than that personally with the 10C isotherm covering almost the entire UK by the afternoon and the 15C isotherm over the south by 6pm. When I hear pleasantly warm I think 21-23C in this country.

I perhaps don't have access to all the data that you do but I'd have thought it'd be 25-28C quite widely across England in that setup by early evening. And by the Met Office definitions if GFS is correct I'd say that Tuesday would easily come into the 'hot' category.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
6 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Very much agree on that one,hot snap i feel it will be. Hopefully though not a right off after for those on holiday and whose livelihoods depend on their trade. Even those like myself who have no love for high temps should understand that seafront towns and communities depend on it for their living,so much more so at this time of year. Bit of banter is fine regarding the conditions but when it comes down to it we need a warm settled summer,not the crap we've had for the last few years.

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

Monday pleasantly warm? I would say we'd do rather better than that personally with the 10C isotherm covering almost the entire UK by the afternoon and the 15C isotherm over the south by 6pm. When I hear pleasantly warm I think 21-23C in this country.

I perhaps don't have access to all the data that you do but I'd have thought it'd be 25-28C quite widely across England in that setup by early evening. And by the Met Office definitions if GFS is correct I'd say that Tuesday would easily come into the 'hot' category.

GFS has generally 22-24c, I'd class that as pleasantly warm. There will be spots hotter than that of course, there always are. On reflection, Tuesday would definitely count as hot, yes. But it's certainly nowhere near as prolonged or intense as what was on offer yesterday evening.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
4 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

Don't see that at all,in the southern areas yes but widespread temps further north of 25plus may be hard to find......thankfully!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
2 hours ago, Nick L said:

We've probably had about 15-20mm since the start of July, and not likely to get any significant rainfall for the next week. 

lucky you, living miles away from the Cheshire Gap