Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot

Have recent summers become noticeably cloudier partially down to increased evaporation from the North Atlantic with generally higher SST's (ignoring the "cold blob" which seems to be affecting the position of the jet stream)?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
7 minutes ago, Wildswimmer Pete said:

Have recent summers become noticeably cloudier partially down to increased evaporation from the North Atlantic with generally higher SST's (ignoring the "cold blob" which seems to be affecting the position of the jet stream)?

The only sunnier than average months since summer 2006 are:

June 2006

July 2006

June 2010

July 2013

June 2014

July 2014

Did those months have anything in common?

Posted
46 minutes ago, B87 said:

I am 100% certain that they posted up the KZ values originally for those 4 months, and then edited them to their current values several months/years later.  They added those KZ values onto that sun graph I posted, but didn't edit them back to CS.

It seems like different papers show different outcomes, regarding the translation of CS to electronic sun hours.  It's commonly thought that US hours are over-inflated, as they are around 150-300 hours sunnier than Canadian locations on the border.  Canada uses 120W/m2 whereas the US varies between 87W/me, 100W/m2 and the CS (in Boston).

On another forum I'm a member of, there are a couple of NZ members who have said that the change to KZ has caused an increase in sun hours.  Warsaw, Berlin and Paris have too (they all record similar sun hours to London ~1600-1700, but since adopting electronic sensors they are recording 2000+, 1800, 1750 hours respectively).

The CS recorder in use at Kew Gardens had a burn threshold of 139.5W/m2, as opposed to the KZ 120W/m2.  

Summers now seem a lot cloudier than they did pre-2006, even without looking at the data.  The rest of the year seems unchanged.  

Well, these differences are a bit puzzling and surprising (not sure what methods these countries use though) but I can only go by what the Met Office themselves say in the study, comparing CS and KZ sunshine recordings alongside each other (i.e actual data), at quite a number of UK weather stations. That's seems as good as it gets when talking about the UK, and along with other sources is good enough for me.

I guess someone could actually contact them and ask about the historical station data, or one of the highly knowledgeable members of the forum could give their thoughts.

What I don't disagree with is that August has often been quite poor recently, and there is a genuine decline in sunshine there compared to recent averages. Also some of the models this morning :|

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Mixed signals for this weekend, quite encouraging to see some models showing a brief warm snap in the S especially but then next week onwards to the very end of the GFS run looks hideous! A northerly? Really. What a crap summer.

Edited by stainesbloke

Posted

summers have become much more cloudy here over the last decade, without a doubt,  another day , another clag infested  murky grey sky, so common over the summer months,

summer was always my favourite season, not any more , roll on autumn, may see some of that nice autumnal sun , better chance than in the grey months...ie  june july and august   :nonono:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
42 minutes ago, IanR said:

summers have become much more cloudy here over the last decade, without a doubt,  another day , another clag infested  murky grey sky, so common over the summer months,

summer was always my favourite season, not any more , roll on autumn, may see some of that nice autumnal sun , better chance than in the grey months...ie  june july and august   :nonono:

Yes, in a nutshell, that is the main issue I have with recent UK summers, even here in the SE. Endless cloud! Does my head in. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Our run of hot sunny summers seem to have come to an end this year. Much more cloud in Central Europe/ Austria,probably the dullest since I moved here 11 years ago.

C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

I think the main reason we are having cloudier Summers these days is a lack of high pressure sat over the country. OK this is not Spain where high pressure & heat is a lot more common in Summer- always has been, but we used to get more high pressure even this far north, I remember the Azores high ridging NE over pretty much the whole UK, since about 2007 the Azores high seems to stay parked out in the Atlantic but this in turn gives us more low pressure over the top of it & the lows force Spanish plumes just to our east to bake Europe but miss the UK. July 2013 was an exception to this which gave the UK a sunny & hot month but it was influenced by high pressure over or near the UK. The hottest & sunniest Summers in the UK all have one thing in common - lasting high pressure near or over the country.

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

What a awful day in the midlands,21c 100% humidity,very very unpleasant to say the least. Everybody was moaning about it.

Posted
29 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

I think the main reason we are having cloudier Summers these days is a lack of high pressure sat over the country. OK this is not Spain where high pressure & heat is a lot more common in Summer- always has been, but we used to get more high pressure even this far north, I remember the Azores high ridging NE over pretty much the whole UK, since about 2007 the Azores high seems to stay parked out in the Atlantic but this in turn gives us more low pressure over the top of it & the lows force Spanish plumes just to our east to bake Europe but miss the UK. July 2013 was an exception to this which gave the UK a sunny & hot month but it was influenced by high pressure over or near the UK. The hottest & sunniest Summers in the UK all have one thing in common - lasting high pressure near or over the country.

Yes. There has been a distinct lack of high pressure over the UK or near continent in recent years, notably in summer but not exclusively so. July 2013 was indeed an exception. It seems like we are nearly always sat under or near low pressure. Also, the jet stream seems to blast at 50 degrees north all year round now leading to perma-Autumn as our weather patterns run 200-300 miles further S than usual. Extremely dreary.

• Like 3

Posted

If this August records 156.4 hrs of sun or less, then 2016 will be the cloudiest summer ever recorded here!

1. 440.3 hrs (1968)
2. 445.8 hrs (1958)
3. 462.7 hrs (2012)
4. 478.7 hrs (2008)
5. 481.0 hrs (1977)
6. 481.3 hrs (1987)
7. 491.2 hrs (2011)
8. 492.2 hrs (2007)
9. 492.8 hrs (2010)
10. 494.1 hrs (1979)

Posted
On 24 July 2016 at 08:14, markyo said:

Thankfully looks like a rest bite from the humidity over night,fresher conditions on the way,very welcome i know by many who have had to suffer the weather this last week. Summer should be enjoyed but this week has been far from that. Don't get me wrong i love a summers day,nice breeze,low humidity bout 25c,whats not to like,this week has been nothing like that. Very tough work wise and all my clients moaning about it,not one said they where enjoying it. I think that say's a lot.

Say it quietly, very quietly...

*arctic plunge next week*

:)

• Like 2

Posted
10 minutes ago, draztik said:

Say it quietly, very quietly...

*arctic plunge next week*

:)

Please don't tease....it's not fair on a old man! i'll get the sledge ready!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
Just now, markyo said:

Please don't tease....it's not fair on a old man! i'll get the sledge ready!

Low single figure dew points, larrrrrvly! :D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.
9 hours ago, Wildswimmer Pete said:

Recent summers have become more SW dominated and less easterly .

This provides far more cloud and far more humidity, we appear to have lost the clear highs based in the east and north east.

Posted
Just now, Nick L said:

Low single figure dew points, larrrrrvly! :D

Oh yes,sleep sooo much easier!

• Like 2

Posted

last nights bbc outlook "we are almost certain that by the middle of August we will be under a southerly flow". Lets  hope its comes off.. Otherwise its basically giving people the wrong impression. Rather keeping ones god shut would be advisable!.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Looking at my suncream I carry in the works van this morning I had to laugh or I would crack up on how little I have used it this year and am starting to think I may as well just put it away until next May.With nothing on the horizon I am seriously concidering logging 2016 summer as POOR even if we have a hot end to August.It has not been good at all here,not the real shockers of 2008 or 2012 but factoring any good spring weather that was dogged by cool winds there have only been just over a week in july in the whole year that you could call summer.It has not been very wet but certainly has not been dry ,endless cloud and cool winds in total the year as a whole could be worse than the previous shockers,at least they had something in spring to cheer about !

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
1 hour ago, B87 said:

If this August records 156.4 hrs of sun or less, then 2016 will be the cloudiest summer ever recorded here!

1. 440.3 hrs (1968)
2. 445.8 hrs (1958)
3. 462.7 hrs (2012)
4. 478.7 hrs (2008)
5. 481.0 hrs (1977)
6. 481.3 hrs (1987)
7. 491.2 hrs (2011)
8. 492.2 hrs (2007)
9. 492.8 hrs (2010)
10. 494.1 hrs (1979)

I hope it is, your constant whining is enough to generate cloud cover on it's own.

Posted
10 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

I hope it is, your constant whining is enough to generate cloud cover on it's own.

I don't get why moaning about the weather is such a bad thing, when 6 of the cloudiest summers ever recorded have happened since 2007?

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, B87 said:

I don't get why moaning about the weather is such a bad thing, when 6 of the cloudiest summers ever recorded have happened since 2007?

.. because you're doing it in every single post. We live in the UK, the weather will always be topsy-turvy, year to year, decade to decade. If you cannot get on in life without moaning about it being a cloudier Summer than others, then you've got an unhealthy problem.

Everytime I pop in here, I swear i've read all the posts before, yet we're another 5 pages in..

Edited by Mapantz
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot
1 hour ago, Mapantz said:

then you've got an unhealthy problem.

............like for instance SAD? :angry:

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Wildswimmer Pete said:

............like for instance SAD? :angry:

That's not what I was referring to. I should, perhaps, change problem to fetish.  JC_doubleup.gif