Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
3 hours ago, markyo said:

Lovely start to the day,real freshness about it. August looking pretty typical,thankfully(for me) very little on offer heat wise,warmth yes which is fine but those yearning for the heatwave i'm afraid not even a glimmer on the horizon. May change but we need that little first step which just isn't there yet.

Actually, the latest GFS runs show a markedly better outlook from the 7th August, quite a big rise in pressure and chances of a very warm spell. Even next week's hideous train of deep lows has been weakened significantly (though still not a summery week). So don't count your chickens just yet!

• Like 1

Posted

Well 2/3 through summer and its not been great really, June was pretty poor apart from the first couple of days and the odd nice day, July has been an improvement but not really what i would describe as a warm settled month, and not a complete washout, somewhere in between, this is for my neck of the woods i might add.

August is still too early to call, first week looks a bit iffy - again no major heat likely but not a complete washout, i'm hopeful we might see some sort of pressure build as me move towards the second week as the ecm is hinting at this morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
45 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Actually, the latest GFS runs show a markedly better outlook from the 7th August, quite a big rise in pressure and chances of a very warm spell. Even next week's hideous train of deep lows has been weakened significantly (though still not a summery week). So don't count your chickens just yet!

Trust me won't! Thanks for the heads up. To be honest i hope something a tad better than warm does come off...just to keep you happy for a bit at least!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
4 minutes ago, markyo said:

Trust me won't! Thanks for the heads up. To be honest i hope something a tad better than warm does come off...just to keep you happy for a bit at least!!

Well we are LONG overdue an above average August with regards to sunshine and temperatures, been so long since we've seen an August heatwave. All to play for! It is summer after all. 

Posted
19 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Well we are LONG overdue an above average August with regards to sunshine and temperatures, been so long since we've seen an August heatwave. All to play for! It is summer after all. 

True,can't argue that point at all...dam it:angry:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot
1 hour ago, stainesbloke said:

.............and all the schoolkids in England and Wales are on holiday!  A decent August was what we looked forward to when I was at school.

Edited by Wildswimmer Pete
left out the "what"
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
2 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

August the month that's changed the most, (apart from Dec to Feb of course) me the Atlantic air believer many would say, but August has too much Atlantic air, last Aug hot spell at least here was in '03, around 3 years after the change

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
42 minutes ago, Wildswimmer Pete said:

.............and all the schoolkids in England and Wales are on holiday!  A decent August was what we looked forward to when I was at school.

But the best weather always seemed to be during the 2nd week of September when we had all gone back :D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

I remember when the weather used to be a bit pants when we returned to school. Summer was well and truly over by September. I think that changed in 2002, which ended up being very settled. 2003, 2004, 2007 and 2009 also produced settled weather on the return to school.

The difference being, all those Augusts also produced some good weather. Only 2014 had a true role reversal between August and September in more recent times, probably aided by Bertha and Cristobal respectively.

• Like 1

Posted

Back to the cold north westerlys today.. nice sunshine but distinct  chill in the air.. for all the complaints about this summer  and its not been great.. At least   in my location not had to put up with the NW wind at all  this summer until now.

Posted
1 hour ago, weatherguru14 said:

Back to the cold north westerlys today.. nice sunshine but distinct  chill in the air.. for all the complaints about this summer  and its not been great.. At least   in my location not had to put up with the NW wind at all  this summer until now.

Latest GFS shows NW'lies for pretty much the entire run. Couldn't make it up, especially as this morning's output looked quite nice. Hopefully more changes to come. Still no sign of high pressure sat over the UK or the near continent, must be easier to win Euromillions!!

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Wildswimmer Pete said:

Yeah defiantly. Back in my school days Summer didn't truly start until the 6 weeks holidays did, even if it was sunny and hot before then. Can't imagine having that much time off now the most I get is a week at any one time. Though I could book 2 weeks together if I wanted too but been as I only get so many weeks a year I don't like to have too much time off in one go, otherwise I might have too wait a long time between holidays which would be depressing.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

On a more general note.It hasn't been the greatest Summer so far but we have had some interesting cloudscapes  what with the changeable conditions over the last few weeks.

Yesterday here we had a lovely pink sky at sunset-this image i don't claim credit for as it was taken from the twitter feed of the local football club-Nuneaton Town FC-who were playing a friendly against Coventry City.

sunset at ntfc 290716.jpg-small.jpg

sometimes you just have to appreciate the good things that nature displays regardless of our indifferent Summer weather.

Coventry won 3-1 btw.:)

• Like 1

Posted
52 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Latest GFS shows NW'lies for pretty much the entire run. Couldn't make it up, especially as this morning's output looked quite nice. Hopefully more changes to come. Still no sign of high pressure sat over the UK or the near continent, must be easier to win Euromillions!!

:D I don't take long range models serious.. You can't really.. they throw all kinds of scenarios from one run to another.. we could easily have a  good august or a poor one..

Posted

Just about a perfect summers day,little be cool but not that bad,lovely fresh breeze and blue sky,whats not to like?....i'm sure the list will be long among the heat lovers!

Posted
1 hour ago, stainesbloke said:

Looking good for the old chicken count,sorry don't mean to gloat. Hopefully it'll turn to more your own liking soon!

Posted
31 minutes ago, markyo said:

Looking good for the old chicken count,sorry don't mean to gloat. Hopefully it'll turn to more your own liking soon!

True! Tomorrow's charts could show heatwaves galore lol. I don't trust anything modelled past 6-7 days. I see the Express has predicted heatwaves for August...that'll be a cold wet month then! It really is time we had a gloriously hot and sunny August. I feel sorry for the millions of school children having their holidays potentially ruined yet again by crap weather in 'summer'. Certainly adds weight to the argument about bringing school holidays forward by a few weeks like in Scotland. No wonder going abroad to places like Spain or the US is so popular.

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 1

Posted
31 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

True! Tomorrow's charts could show heatwaves galore lol. I don't trust anything modelled past 6-7 days. I see the Express has predicted heatwaves for August...that'll be a cold wet month then! It really is time we had a gloriously hot and sunny August. I feel sorry for the millions of school children having their holidays potentially ruined yet again by crap weather in 'summer'. Certainly adds weight to the argument about bringing school holidays forward by a few weeks like in Scotland. No wonder going abroad to places like Spain or the US is so popular.

Very good points....apart from he heatwave bit! Gutter press like the Express(it rhymes,wonder why?) is just for wrapping your chips in,nothing else. Moving school holidays would be a great idea,more flexible as well.As for the millions of school children fed up shall we all spare a thought for those poor parents! Heart goes out to them. Must be so hard for them when the summers are like this.

Posted
15 minutes ago, markyo said:

Very good points....apart from he heatwave bit! Gutter press like the Express(it rhymes,wonder why?) is just for wrapping your chips in,nothing else. Moving school holidays would be a great idea,more flexible as well.As for the millions of school children fed up shall we all spare a thought for those poor parents! Heart goes out to them. Must be so hard for them when the summers are like this.

Yes, difficult for the parents, I suppose it's mitigated somewhat by the fact that the UK does have lots to do indoors. Not the point though; there really is nothing better than activities outdoors in the fresh air. So good for people of all ages. Much more fun when it's sunny and warm!

Posted
21 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Yes, difficult for the parents, I suppose it's mitigated somewhat by the fact that the UK does have lots to do indoors. Not the point though; there really is nothing better than activities outdoors in the fresh air. So good for people of all ages. Much more fun when it's sunny and warm!

I'd go for sunny and warm any day,sunny and hot no! Outdoor stuff is so much better when you can cool off for bit in the shade without the humidity. Just my point of view though!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

I don't mind sunny and hot now, getting okay with it, also I find pollen allergies much better when hot, way worse when cool dewy or raining, favourite summer weather though light winds, 23-25°, and sunny

Edited by I remember Atlantic 252

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
1 hour ago, markyo said:

Just about a perfect summers day,little be cool but not that bad,lovely fresh breeze and blue sky,whats not to like?....i'm sure the list will be long among the heat lovers!

iT MAY BE FOR YOU but I have been working on a roof today, a fresh breeze and cloudy,i had to wear a thin jumper all day except for a brief period the breeze dropped and the sun came out,sorry but not a perfect summers day to me !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
7 minutes ago, markyo said:

I'd go for sunny and warm any day,sunny and hot no! Outdoor stuff is so much better when you can cool off for bit in the shade without the humidity. Just my point of view though!

I agree, although I love spanish plumes they come and go too fast and then it normally turns cool and unsettled. What I want is a warm Azores high to ridge in and stick around for a week or two, that would make August into a good end to the summer.

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, hillbilly said:

iT MAY BE FOR YOU but I have been working on a roof today, a fresh breeze and cloudy,i had to wear a thin jumper all day except for a brief period the breeze dropped and the sun came out,sorry but not a perfect summers day to me !

Fine thats's your opinion,the capitals are a tad over the top! Wouldn't have said today was cool by any means,normal summers day to me. Perfect for working on a roof for me!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
1 minute ago, markyo said:

Fine thats's your opinion,the capitals are a tad over the top! Wouldn't have said today was cool by any means,normal summers day to me. Perfect for working on a roof for me!

Sorry I didn't realise the caps lock was on and could not be bothered to change it.All I meant was a better summers day for me is at least one where you do not have to wear a jumper,mind you it is a degree or two warmer in Sheffield than here .