Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
6 minutes ago, cheese said:

Grass verges and the like are yellowing here. Very little in the way of rain - only 19mm. 

Yep it's fast becoming a sea of beige and brown out there in the fields.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

If the below average rainfall continues through August and into autumn we may start and see some issues with water shortages 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot
On 24/07/2016 at 18:42, Karl. said:

Fully agree, this is one of the worst summer's I can remember, truly abysmally cool and cloudy so a bit of heat is most welcome, it will be Autumn soon enough.

Looks like that autumn might be starting shortly with maxima over the weekend a cold 11-12C - you couldn't make it up.  I remember a July day in 1967 had a maximum of 48F (9C - we used old money back then in both meanings of the term) which was headlined in my local regional paper.  That particular day I was only wearing a shirt and I was freezing in a stiff Northerly breeze.  Sadly such low summer maxima during the Sixties were rare enough to for the Press to mention, are nowadays becoming increasingly commonplace over the past few years.

August has become just another autumn month.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

July has been quite dry here, but June was extremely wet, so we are close to normal for summer rainfall so far.  

The grass is only just starting to go brown, when it would normally be so from about mid/late June to early September.

Posted

Only 5.8mm of rain here this month. Grass not as brown as I'd have thought probably due to the wet June and often mediocre quite cloudy conditions.

1 hour ago, Wildswimmer Pete said:

Looks like that autumn might be starting shortly with maxima over the weekend a cold 11-12C - you couldn't make it up.  I remember a July day in 1967 had a maximum of 48F (9C - we used old money back then in both meanings of the term) which was headlined in my local regional paper.  That particular day I was only wearing a shirt and I was freezing in a stiff Northerly breeze.  Sadly such low summer maxima during the Sixties were rare enough to for the Press to mention, are nowadays becoming increasingly commonplace over the past few years.

August has become just another autumn month.

Can I ask where are you getting 11-12C for this weekend from? I see around 17C for your area on the charts and forecasts. Unless I'm mistaken such low maxima have still been very rare in recent years, or at least I can't remember any widespread instances (and certainly not 9C!?). Lowest down here has been 14-15C anyway.

Posted
16 minutes ago, Evening thunder said:

Only 5.8mm of rain here this month. Grass not as brown as I'd have thought probably due to the wet June and often mediocre quite cloudy conditions.

Can I ask where are you getting 11-12C for this weekend from? I see around 17C for your area on the charts and forecasts. Unless I'm mistaken such low maxima have still been very rare in recent years, or at least I can't remember any widespread instances (and certainly not 9C!?). Lowest down here has been 14-15C anyway.

On Netweather's 7-day forecast for Runcorn, although the lowest maximum has firmed up to 13C on Saturday (whoopy-do).  Still dismal for so-called "high summer".  Still 10C below where it should be.

The cold temperatures wouldn't be so much of a problem if they were tempered by strong sunshine, but not under "summer" 2016's now eternal infill.  No wonder SAD is making a premature appearance throughout the UK populace. 

Edited by Wildswimmer Pete
  • Like 1

Posted
17 minutes ago, Wildswimmer Pete said:

On Netweather's 7-day forecast for Runcorn, although the lowest maximum has firmed up to 13C on Saturday (whoopy-do).  Still dismal for so-called "high summer".  Still 10C below where it should be.

Hmm that's odd compared to the GFS and other forecasts (I assume it doesn't use the global GFS model then), but wouldn't mind betting that's a bit low.

Only London and a few other central/southeastern spots average around 23C in July/August though (Liverpool is about 20C).

17 minutes ago, Wildswimmer Pete said:

No wonder SAD is making a premature appearance throughout the UK populace. 

Is it actually?

Edited by Evening thunder

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
16 minutes ago, Evening thunder said:

Hmm that's odd compared to the GFS and other forecasts (I assume it doesn't use the global GFS model then), but wouldn't mind betting that's a bit low.

Correct they use NetWx-SR and NetWx-MR

Posted
19 minutes ago, Evening thunder said:

Only London and a few other central/southeastern spots average around 23C in July/August though (Liverpool is about 20C).

I'm referring to "sensible" temperatures in my locality, not averages as this isn't a formal weather report.  In my neck of the woods July and August should be around 21-23C 3-4pm, and that's 60 years' worth of personal observations. 

Is it actually?

I trust that's a joke?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Just another view on Summer 2016 in the Eastern Alps. The summer is very different to last years scorcher and drought conditions. Plenty of cloudy days so far. More showers today in the mountains with some storms likely further south of here. Should be a good night for spark watching, hopefully if the lower cloud base recedes. Still can see patches of snow down to fairly low levels on the Northern slopes of the local mountain ranges.

C

Posted

I think there's been a bit of an overreaction as to how "bad" this summer has been. Just seems bog standard to me so far on the whole. If you want bad, time travel back to 2007 or 2012. Even as a summer hater I found it bad!

Edited by Nick L
  • Like 6

Posted
11 minutes ago, Nick L said:

I think there's been a bit of an overreaction as to how "bad" this summer has been. Just seems bog standard to me so far on the whole. If you want bad, time travel back to 2007 or 2012. Even as a summer hater I found it bad!

Well here, June was the 8th wettest and the cloudiest on record, July has seen fairly typical temperatures so far, but below average sunshine.

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, B87 said:

Well here, June was the 8th wettest and the cloudiest on record, July has seen fairly typical temperatures so far, but below average sunshine.

June was wet but July has been very dry here so it's balanced out for me.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
15 minutes ago, Nick L said:

I must agree, Nick..And, there's a chance of a few more storms in the days to come...? Then again, as an undiagnosed SAD sufferer, I doubt even the most fantastical lightning show would be of much help...

• Like 1

Posted
33 minutes ago, Nick L said:

June was wet but July has been very dry here so it's balanced out for me.

July here has seen 12mm so far, which is dry but not record breakingly so.  It's the sun that has been the big problem.

June: 101 hrs (205 hrs average)

July: 162 hrs (212 hrs avg)

Edited by B87
  • Like 2

Posted

Bog standard fare really for the north-east. But each day has its own interesting characteristics regardless of insufficient heat or sun, and that's why (bottomline) we're weather enthusiasts.

Edited by PersianPaladin
  • Like 1

Posted
54 minutes ago, Wildswimmer Pete said:

I'm referring to "sensible" temperatures in my locality, not averages as this isn't a formal weather report.  In my neck of the woods July and August should be around 21-23C 3-4pm, and that's 60 years' worth of personal observations. 

Not sure how much of a 'should be' concept there is in the weather (it often doesn't listen as we know too well), but if there is it surely would be based on the climatic averages, not what you think it should be because it's 'sensible' or feels better.

According to the Met Office, in July at Crosby the 80th percentile maximum is 21C (so 1 in 5 days reach that temp..), the average max is 19.7C.

For the more inland Harwarden (the next closest site) the 80th percentile is 22.6C in July and 21.7C in August. Average max there is 21C in July to be fair, and 20.5C in August.

I trust that's a joke?

Nope, As I've only seen it mentioned to enhance peoples moaning on here I was just interested in some sources for such a number of cases this summer.

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Evening thunder said:

According to the Met Office, in July at Crosby the 80th percentile maximum is 21C (so 1 in 5 days reach that temp..), the average max is 19.7C.

That means 1 year in 5 will have an average high of 21c.  In London the 80th percentile in July is 25c, yet a normal July would see 25c reached on a third of days.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
1 hour ago, Nick L said:

Although not abnormally cool or wet i would say that this summer has been abnormally westerly and abnormally homogeneous in the sense that until last week there was nothing we could consider a proper warm spell up here (even transiently, it's unusual in Leeds to go from the 3rd June to 19th July with not a day above 25C).

One could probably sumise that the lack of a real warm spell is because this summer has been abnormally mobile but the lack of temperature or precipitation extremes can be explained by this mobility occuring north of the UK. 

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, summer blizzard said:

Although not abnormally cool or wet i would say that this summer has been abnormally westerly and abnormally homogeneous in the sense that until last week there was nothing we could consider a proper warm spell up here (even transiently, it's unusual in Leeds to go from the 3rd June to 19th July with not a day above 25C).

One could probably sumise that the lack of a real warm spell is because this summer has been abnormally mobile but the lack of temperature or precipitation extremes can be explained by this mobility occuring north of the UK. 

I'd probably agree. For some it has been disappointing, but going by some comments this has been the worst summer on record - it really hasn't!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
1 minute ago, Nick L said:

I'd probably agree. For some it has been disappointing, but going by some comments this has been the worst summer on record - it really hasn't!

Has anyone said it has been the worst summer on record? You can say it's not been 'that bad' but imho it has been bloody awful, bar the last week or so. Definitely not as horrendous as 2012 or maybe 2007 but they were truly dire years seen extremely rarely. The fact that two such years have occurred recently and most of the last 10 summers have been pretty crap make me think something odd is going on. Could just be a natural cycle but very depressing, nonetheless.

• Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Thus far this "summer" has pretty well have been the most sunless summer I can remember throughout my 60+ years, even worse than shockers like 1962 and '63.  I don't take any notice of dry statistics, it's what I saw and felt.  Again I should point out that in the summer months, any recorded sunlight occurs before 7-8pm then the inevitable grey lid slams down for the rest of the day.

I thought this was an "opinion" thread, not for formal weather discussion?

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
7 minutes ago, Wildswimmer Pete said:

Thus far this "summer" has pretty well have been the most sunless summer I can remember throughout my 60+ years, even worse than shockers like 1962 and '63.  I don't take any notice of dry statistics, it's what I saw and felt.  Again I should point out that in the summer months, any recorded sunlight occurs before 7-8pm then the inevitable grey lid slams down for the rest of the day.

I thought this was an "opinion" thread, not for formal weather discussion?

Though not quite as 'ancient' as you, Pete (59+) I'm sure I can remember summers at least as bad as this one: 1962, 1963, 1967, 1968, 1972, 1979, 1980, 1985, 1988, 2007, 2012...? We live in the UK, man!:D

• Like 4

Posted
45 minutes ago, Evening thunder said:

Nope, As I've only seen it mentioned to enhance peoples moaning on here I was just interested in some sources for such a number of cases this summer.

How do you propose to do that? The only sources are medical records to which neither I nor you have any access (in my case, my own). I'm quoting anecdotal evidence from local experience.  Bear in mind I live 230 miles north of you in a traditionally damp (ie sun-starved) part of the UK.

Your use of "moaning" I find disturbing.  SAD is a potentially serious condition should suicidal ideation become a risk which is why I started the "S.A.D" thread.

• Like 2

Posted
15 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Though not quite as 'ancient' as you, Pete (59+) I'm sure I can remember summers at least as bad as this one: 1962, 1963, 1967, 1968, 1972, 1979, 1980, 1985, 1988, 2007, 2012...? We live in the UK, man!:D

'62 and '63 were awful but the rest of the Sixties were basically meh.  I remember '72 as being dull but not as dull as this year.  '87-88 to me were chilly and showery but not with the current all-pervading dullness.  However during the 50's. 60s. 70s, and the 80s we had four distinct seasons. It was the '90s onward when our perpetual Autumn began to take a hold.