Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Single figure dew points tomorrow, hurrah!!!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.
6 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

That's due to the huge amounts of daytime cloud that lasted through nearly every night keeping temps up, certainly not due to above average daytime conditions. Had about 4 days of those in 6 weeks!

According to the CET values, maxima and minima have been above average for the last three months:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/hadobs/hadcet/cet_info_max.html

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/hadobs/hadcet/cet_info_min.html

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
11 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

It's not crap; it's gorgeous summer conditions that so many other western countries enjoy and don't whine and whinge but just get on with it. Not very nice working in it granted, but as soon as you finish work then the lovely warmth and sunshine can be enjoyed to the max. Try riding the New York subway at this time of year; absolutely awful but millions of suited and booted workers manage to do it. Similarly, millions of Brits head abroad each year to enjoy the heat and sunshine. Must be a particularly British thing to whine about a bit of heat, that most years amount to a week if that of truly hot conditions. The other 51 weeks of the year offer far cooler rubbish, is that not enough?

I only post my opinion and experience i find while doing my day to day job. Last week impacted on both myself and clients so i obviously don't share your view,to me it was crap,many agree. One week it may be but we all have the right to voice our opinion,you included. Brits go on holiday for sun,yep correct but that is coupled with beach,pool etc..not much of that in central London. Whine about heat,yep,just like you whine about cold but thats your right to do so. And as for new york,they choose to live there,i wouldn't for that exact reason,also 51 weeks of rubbish is a tad over the top even for you!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
1 hour ago, markyo said:

I only post my opinion and experience i find while doing my day to day job. Last week impacted on both myself and clients so i obviously don't share your view,to me it was crap,many agree. One week it may be but we all have the right to voice our opinion,you included. Brits go on holiday for sun,yep correct but that is coupled with beach,pool etc..not much of that in central London. Whine about heat,yep,just like you whine about cold but thats your right to do so. And as for new york,they choose to live there,i wouldn't for that exact reason,also 51 weeks of rubbish is a tad over the top even for you!

Sorry but so far this summer we have had about a week of nice weather. The rest has been crap. Just my opinion of course, but I'll never find cloud and 18C warm or remotely pleasant. I love sunshine and we in Britain have always seen too little of it but this year has taken the p**s big time. Very depressing. Doesn't have to be hot! 24C (ie. average July temps here) and blue skies would be fine but even that has been a massive struggle. 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
5 hours ago, Relativistic said:

According to the CET values, maxima and minima have been above average for the last three months:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/hadobs/hadcet/cet_info_max.html

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/hadobs/hadcet/cet_info_min.html

It's a crap summer however you slice it, it's like having a winter with no snow..hang on, we just had one of those didn't we!:closedeyes:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

CET currently 16.0c here which is 0.5c above average. July is looking like being the first above average month since January although looking at latest GFS its unlikely to rise much higher. The most notable aspect of July so far has been the lack of rainfall, currently on 22mm for the month so far as we have missed any torrential thunderstorms that some nearby areas saw last week. Hoping that the Azores high will nudge in from the SW soon and deliver us a nice settled August but the garden could do with 20-30mm first!

Posted
2 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

Sorry but so far this summer we have had about a week of nice weather. The rest has been crap. Just my opinion of course, but I'll never find cloud and 18C warm or remotely pleasant. I love sunshine and we in Britain have always seen too little of it but this year has taken the p**s big time. Very depressing. Doesn't have to be hot! 24C (ie. average July temps here) and blue skies would be fine but even that has been a massive struggle. 

Agreed, even as a coldie I feel robbed if we don't see a satisfactory amount of sunny 24'c days during our Summer months, if only to dry out all the damp areas of the garden that build up during the winter - kill off some of that moss in the lawn.

Just my hunch, I'm sure the facts will prove me wrong, but I feel we see better days in September than July and August, but with the added benefit of crisper, chilly mornings, which aren't everyone's cup of tea obviously.

We're about to enter the very worst part of summer IMO - the month of the house spiders :nea:

Edited by NickMdx
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
4 hours ago, Karl. said:

It's been a crap summer here however you slice it, it's like having a winter with no snow..hang on, we just had one of those didn't we!:closedeyes:

Amended. Too much tar and brush syndrome going on in this thread.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
21 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Amended. Too much tar and brush syndrome going on in this thread.

If we get a warm and sunny August/September then the summer will be redeemed.  June was pathetic, though July has been normal here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

July has certainly seen more 'normal' (ie. varied) episodes of weather than ghastly June. Keeping everything crossed for an above average August in terms of sunshine and daytime temperatures. A decent thundery spell wouldn't go amiss either. Just very little cool and cloudy Atlantic crap, please. That can hold off 'til October.

• Like 2

Posted

We are certainly well overdue an August that doesn't have below average sun... it's been 11 years!

The average high for August from 2007-2015 was only 22.2c as well, so hopefully this one helps to readdress that.

Edited by B87
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, stainesbloke said:

Just very little cool and cloudy Atlantic crap, please. That can hold off 'til October.

I've just read the latest met office update, sounds like mostly cool  to average, cloudy Atlantic crap for the rest of July and first half of August.:closedeyes:

• Like 4

Posted
12 minutes ago, Karl. said:

I've just read the latest met office update, sounds like mostly cool  to average, cloudy Atlantic crap for the rest of July and first half of August.:closedeyes:

Ugh, well I live in hope lol but doesn't look great. At least I was off work last week and could enjoy the 3 day summer :) Though the second half of the 06z GFS looks good for the S especially...

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 1

Posted
37 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Though the second half of the 06z GFS looks good for the S especially...

Fingers crossed for you guys further south, the S / SE should get some warm / very warm and fine spells but I fear the N / NW won't.

Posted
11 minutes ago, Karl. said:

Fingers crossed for you guys further south, the S / SE should get some warm / very warm and fine spells but I fear the N / NW won't.

A typical August averages 2 days above 30c here (like July), so maybe we will see a few more such days.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
2 hours ago, Karl. said:

westerlies suck! no use at any time of the year

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
10 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

At last we nearly agree!,23 to 24c blue skies light breeze is in my opinion perfect,also this summer has been crap regarding the cloud like you i find it rubbish. Sorry for being a bit strong sometimes with my views,my work is effected hugely by increases in temp,i know you and many more love this short period of heat,even though i may hate it i hope there's one or to more chances for you to enjoy it before the 51 weeks of rubbish returns. I'll try and not be as opinionated in future with the way i put things.

Posted
1 hour ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

I couldn't agree more but I've noticed there is a signal for improvement from around 7th August which would hopefully last beyond mid month but the next 10 days look either poor or ordinary for most areas.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

For the past couple of days, I've posted the GFS ensembles in the MOD thread which are hinting at some very warm to hot weather next week.... the beeb have picked up on this now still only a low chance but a possibility none the less

5345435.png

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/36889940

• Like 2

Posted
4 hours ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Other than Autumn, I agree. I love a good Autumn storm.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
Just now, Spikey M said:

Other than Autumn, I agree. I love a good Autumn storm.

I don't, dry is my favourite Autumn setup

WTF! favourite red lined?

Posted

So far this summer we haven't had the classic anticyclone overhead - the hallmark of a good summer in my book. The decent spells have come courtesy of weak ridging from the azores high or a southerly airstream quickly squeezed out by low pressure to the west, the former is a fair weather creator with major bias to the SE, the latter in the main is a cloud maker. Early June delivered very sunny conditions to the NW thanks to strong heights over Greenland and Iceland, but cloudy weather to the east. Unlike late spring/early summer it becomes much more difficult for cloud free skies to reign supreme, the heat from the ground is much stronger in July and August and rises to create cloud especially away from coastal districts.

August in these parts on average is far cloudier than May, June and July and in many years April...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

It's been a very dry July around here. A weather station down in Chesham has recorded just 13mm, and the cumulative radar for the month suggests some parts of Bucks are in single figures. With the heat of last week the ground is solid and cracked at the moment, could do with some rain!

Posted
13 hours ago, markyo said:

At last we nearly agree!,23 to 24c blue skies light breeze is in my opinion perfect,also this summer has been crap regarding the cloud like you i find it rubbish. Sorry for being a bit strong sometimes with my views,my work is effected hugely by increases in temp,i know you and many more love this short period of heat,even though i may hate it i hope there's one or to more chances for you to enjoy it before the 51 weeks of rubbish returns. I'll try and not be as opinionated in future with the way i put things.

You don't need to apologise, you're perfectly entitled to express your views, it's still a free country :)

I can understand and even empathise with where you're coming from a working situation. I wear a uniform for my job and when it's hot it's very unpleasant. I'd still take summer warmth and sun over cool cloud any day of the week though! It's become rare these days and I really do feel down when we struggle to even get average temps and sunshine levels. Like I said though, 24C and blue skies would be fine, shame it's so hard to even get that. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
4 hours ago, Nick L said:

It's been a very dry July around here. A weather station down in Chesham has recorded just 13mm, and the cumulative radar for the month suggests some parts of Bucks are in single figures. With the heat of last week the ground is solid and cracked at the moment, could do with some rain!

Grass verges and the like are yellowing here. Very little in the way of rain - only 19mm.