Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
30 minutes ago, NickMdx said:

Not being a lizard, and having to work, this "heatwave" can *bleep* *bleep* it's *bleep*ing *bleep* and *bleep* *bleep* the *bleep*

So *bleep*ing true,but don't forget many have wanted this all summer,there turn to be happy,ours to be sad,only fair i think!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

That moment when you're forecast sunny skies all day and then out of nowhere, a big area of unwanted cloud decides to obscure the sky.

Posted

Unbroken blue skies all day :yahoo: I hope we get another day in tomorrow whilst its even warmer before Summer transfers into Autumn early..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

26.9C in Writtle, Essex at 3pm up in Glasgow the 3pm temp was just 14.5c

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted
2 hours ago, cheese said:

That moment when you're forecast sunny skies all day and then out of nowhere, a big area of unwanted cloud decides to obscure the sky.

Only lasted for about an hour, if that. Nice and sunny afternoon, 22C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

27C here with decent spells of sunshine once the large amounts of infill move on. Quite nice. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Not broken 20c today so not to bad at all,getting ready though for that heat next 2 days! 

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Beautiful Summers day here with mostly clear sky's and feeling hot in the Sun even in the breeze with a top temp of 22.3c. Not looking forward to the humidity/heat next week as working outside on a roof and sleepings going to be a nightmare.. But hopefully the storms will make up for it and sitting out in the garden during the evenings is very relaxing.

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 4

Posted

Embrace the heat I suggest if only we got a more lengthy spell after a while you adapt to it somewhat not sure why folk are blabbering on for it makes for a nice change. :) 

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Summer Sun said:

Overnight 'lows' on Tuesday night

345334.png

Many a time the BBC have forecast lows of 20C here, but they don't happen.

Posted

Highest Temperature of the Year just confirmed as 27.6c at Heathrow

BBC Weather ‏@bbcweather  2m2 minutes ago

England has recorded its highest temperature of the year so far with 27.6C at Cavendish and Heathrow. Nick

Posted
29 minutes ago, cheese said:

Many a time the BBC have forecast lows of 20C here, but they don't happen.

The app gives me a low of 22C following a 32C high usually they're off on the low side for here.

Posted
1 hour ago, Daniel* said:

The app gives me a low of 22C following a 32C high usually they're off on the low side for here.

With clear skies, the temperature will fall quite quickly. Highest min temp ever at Leeds was 20.7C. Hasn't happened since though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

Deep layer heat and humidity will make for an unusually hot feel on Tuesday and will help keep temps from falling below 20*C Tuesday night. Some models don't get below 23*C in parts of the SE but that seems a bit over the top!

Probably nothing unprecedented on the cards (though the plume keeps trending stronger which makes me wonder!) but it does look worthy of the superlative 'exceptional'.

• Like 4

Posted
41 minutes ago, cheese said:

With clear skies, the temperature will fall quite quickly. Highest min temp ever at Leeds was 20.7C. Hasn't happened since though.

I think the issue with night time minima is that there is greater local variation in a hot spell then there is with daytime maxima. Manchester Airport and Rostherne, for example, are right on the edge of an urban area and are almost always considerably cooler at night than the Manchester City Centre, where there is no official weather station. So I imagine in the City Centre night time mins of 20C+ are very possible in a setup like on Tuesday/Wednesday.

Some may say that that should be discounted due to the urban heat island etc, but considering the vast majority of this country's population (especially England) lives in urban areas, the readings from urban areas are surely more representative of most people's experiences.

Posted
28 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

I think the issue with night time minima is that there is greater local variation in a hot spell then there is with daytime maxima. Manchester Airport and Rostherne, for example, are right on the edge of an urban area and are almost always considerably cooler at night than the Manchester City Centre, where there is no official weather station. So I imagine in the City Centre night time mins of 20C+ are very possible in a setup like on Tuesday/Wednesday.

Some may say that that should be discounted due to the urban heat island etc, but considering the vast majority of this country's population (especially England) lives in urban areas, the readings from urban areas are surely more representative of most people's experiences.

Do you know if there was ever a weather station in Manchester city centre? Leeds Weather Centre closed in 2003, for reasons that I don't know. Shame really - as you say, most of us live in towns and cities, not rural areas. Church Fenton and Leeds Weather Centre were broadly the same during the day but Leeds Weather Centre was much warmer at night. 

Anyway, BBC Weather show a high of 31C and a low of 20C on Tuesday here. There's an amateur station at the University of Leeds that I'll check.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

As much as I'm not a fan of the heat and humidity (although I am looking forward to the next few days due to the storm risk), I must say that today has been a lovely day :D
And this evening was absolutely stunning :good:
Here are a few photos of tonights sunset that I took whilst taking the hound out for his evening walk across the fields... Evenings like this I'm keep to see more of :D
Sorry for the lateness of posting, only on the way back home I called into the pub... Dog an all :drinks:

IMG_8377.JPG

IMG_8373.JPG

IMG_8378.JPG

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I think there was a site at Manchester Weather Centre but that closed before the Leeds one.  The regional weather centres got shut down in the 2000s and so did the accompanying weather stations.  Newcastle Weather Centre shut in October 2005.

Most people tend to live in urban areas but not right in the central business district, so the most commonly-experienced minima will probably be a little below those at the Weather Centres but rather above those at the standard Met Office observing sites.  Even in inner city areas there can be a significant difference between the central business district and areas slightly further out.  On the morning of 4 March 2006, I remember walking across Hyde Park at Leeds in about 2-3cm of lying snow.  The covering was more partial around Leeds University, and in the central business district there was no lying snow at all, just 30 minutes' walk away from Hyde Park.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Our Simon Partridge is going for 33°C on Tuesday. It's good to see a map with these temperatures though..

Screenshot_2016-07-17-23-29-22.png

Meanwhile, this is what its like where I am..

20160717_223000.jpg

Edited by Mapantz
  • Like 4

Posted
17 minutes ago, Thundery wintry showers said:

I think there was a site at Manchester Weather Centre but that closed before the Leeds one.  The regional weather centres got shut down in the 2000s and so did the accompanying weather stations.  Newcastle Weather Centre shut in October 2005.

Most people tend to live in urban areas but not right in the central business district, so the most commonly-experienced minima will probably be a little below those at the Weather Centres but rather above those at the standard Met Office observing sites.  Even in inner city areas there can be a significant difference between the central business district and areas slightly further out.  On the morning of 4 March 2006, I remember walking across Hyde Park at Leeds in about 2-3cm of lying snow.  The covering was more partial around Leeds University, and in the central business district there was no lying snow at all, just 30 minutes' walk away from Hyde Park.

Interesting. Do you have any insight into why these stations closed?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I'm pretty sure that the weather stations were attached to the regional weather centres, and so my guess is that when the Met Office went the "business rationalisation" route and closed most of the regional weather centres (the aim being to have just a few regional centres rather than many), the associated weather stations closed as well.  I remember having a trip to the Newcastle Weather Centre in 1996, and by around 2000 there was talk of the weather centre closing.  For example, the London Weather Centre is still open and so is its weather station.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers