Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Finally some temps that represent summer ok its only 3 days but its a start

ukmaxtemp.pngukmaxtemp.pngukmaxtemp.png

Could be some big storms developing by Tues and Weds

ukcapeli.pngukcapeli.pngukcapeli.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Oh good, warm spell considerately waiting until the start of the working week to begin in earnest, and thunderstorms likely when I'm due to take off to Spain. Already this upcoming spell is getting a low rating from me... Bring on the next warm spell that happens over a weekend.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Thankfully this spike of warmth/heat is mainly in southern areas and prob only last 2 to 3 days at most,so I suppose I can stand it for that length of time hopefully,later next week looks much cooler.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
6 minutes ago, markyo said:

Thankfully this spike of warmth/heat is mainly in southern areas and prob only last 2 to 3 days at most,so I suppose I can stand it for that length of time hopefully,later next week looks much cooler.

You've had most of the last decade of summers to enjoy the cool and cloudy conditions.  It's about time us heat lovers had something to enjoy.

• Like 6

Posted
Just now, B87 said:

You've had most of the last decade of summers to enjoy the cool and cloudy conditions.  It's about time us heat lovers had something to enjoy.

True I have been spoilt,enjoy,i'll just have to retreat into my Northern cave and ride it out!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
9 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

ssFinally some temps that represent summer ok its only 3 days but its a start

ukmaxtemp.pngukmaxtemp.pngukmaxtemp.png

Could be some big storms developing by Tues and Weds

ukcapeli.pngukcapeli.pngukcapeli.png

same days of week and reminds me of June 30th and 1st July last year, plume timed for tue/wed, then much cooler Thurs, model I think underestimating temps, will definitely be 30C in South

Posted

Looks like this hot spell will be short lived,enjoy while you can but i really suspect it won't be the last and i hope so to,many have been so let down by this summer it's your season and should enjoy it. Even though i hate it with a passion!

• Like 2

Posted

Yes a warm up is on the cards more so for the SE, with temperatures possibly nudging towards 30 degrees - all quite normal, indeed its rare for a summer to pass by when 30 degrees isn't achieved at least somewhere. There are similiarities with 30 June / 1 July last year, but temps won't reach the dizzy heights recording then, and yes it looks like a very short burst of heat,the classic mini plume. NW parts unlikely to see any real warmth, low 20's at best - which is ok, but hardly noteworthy.

This summer so far has been very lacklustre, it feels very much like last summer so far.. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot

While yesterday felt like summer, today is back to October.  We had to go to Glasgow and when we arrived around 7:30am the weather typically Glaswegian - grey and chilly.  However coming coming back down through the Southern Uplands the drizzle began (again quite normal) however dropping down into England the expected clearance didn't happen and crossing Shap we were in up in thick cloud,  from there on the rain increased in intensity through the Lakes, Lancashire and Manchester, the rain only let up when we got back home in Runcorn around 2pm.  Again a case of October in July. Meanwhile the expected warmth expected this weekend has well and truly been kicked into the long grass with a scorchio 16C expected - sadly you can't make it up.:nonono::cold:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 hour ago, Wildswimmer Pete said:

While yesterday felt like summer, today is back to October.  We had to go to Glasgow and when we arrived around 7:30am the weather typically Glaswegian - grey and chilly.  However coming coming back down through the Southern Uplands the drizzle began (again quite normal) however dropping down into England the expected clearance didn't happen and crossing Shap we were in up in thick cloud,  from there on the rain increased in intensity through the Lakes, Lancashire and Manchester, the rain only let up when we got back home in Runcorn around 2pm.  Again a case of October in July. Meanwhile the expected warmth expected this weekend has well and truly been kicked into the long grass with a scorchio 16C expected - sadly you can't make it up.:nonono::cold:

felt like 0ct here at lunch time, never known a July day at 1pm to feel that cold, but now warm front moved through and now in TM air

• Like 1

Posted
12 hours ago, B87 said:

The values on that link have already been corrected to CS values, even though they have been recorded with a KZ since 2005.  July 2006 recorded 302 hrs with the new electronic sensor, but that was adjusted to 260ish so it could be compared to the older data.  Same with Feb 2008 (138 to 130) June 2012 (130ish to 118.5), July 2013 (300ish to 266). 

I think they should show the new sunshine figures alongside the old ones; the rest of Europe uses the 120W/m2 standard.  I think our sun hours would be about 13-14% higher in summer, and 5-10% higher in winter, using the KZ (threshold 120W vs the CS threshold of 140W).

Maybe the regional maps are using the data from the KZ (which gives higher values), but then comparing it against the CS average?  That would explain why the values are close to normal rather than below average.  If you look at the sunshine section of the Southern England summary, the Heathrow graph shows about 130 hrs as the June minimum, and 302 hrs as the July maximum (both of these were recorded with KZ and since been downgraded to fit in with the CS).

Sorry only just got round to posting this

Interesting, It looked uncorrected to me apart from the # indicating that it is a KZ sensor. Next to the map of historic stations it also says "No allowances have been made for small site changes and developments in instrumentation" 
Where did you see those pre-adjusted figures? as it may be interesting.

Must admit I'm a bit perplexed by this as I always read that the CS recorder overestimates sunshine, mainly in broken sunshine (which is common in the UK), due to spreading of the burn marks on the card (even if there's a slight under-read on clear days due to being less sensitive to low early morning/late evening sun). In addition it's open to differences in interpretation between observers. Here's a old thread on the subject on this forum. https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/52670-kz-vs-cs-sunshine/

So they actually use some method/correction that actually results in the KZ readings being higher than traditional CS sensor, even though the CS sensor typically over-read bright sunshine anyway?

Gotta be honest, if looking into it of my own accord everything seems to point to the sensor change being the cause here, at least from what I have seen so far.

2 hours ago, markyo said:

-14c in shorts....yep mad beyond a doubt,more certifiable,12c to 13c in shorts no,that's normal if your work is physical like mine.

Lol yes, out for an early Christmas morning run and maybe didn't realise it was so cold as that was so rare here.. and I agree there.

2 hours ago, B87 said:

I meant in terms of temperature AND sunshine. Especially sunshine. We had one in 2013 but before that we had to go back to 2004/2005.

Well for the SE and central S stats compared to the average for the same region, which I would think/hope the Met Office would keep correct and comparable, 2013 had 73.6 hours more than average, 2014 had 90.1 hours more than average, while 2015 was 21.3 hours below average.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
27 minutes ago, Evening thunder said:

Sorry only just got round to posting this

Interesting, It looked uncorrected to me apart from the # indicating that it is a KZ sensor. Next to the map of historic stations it also says "No allowances have been made for small site changes and developments in instrumentation" 
Where did you see those pre-adjusted figures? as it may be interesting.

Must admit I'm a bit perplexed by this as I always read that the CS recorder overestimates sunshine, mainly in broken sunshine (which is common in the UK), due to spreading of the burn marks on the card (even if there's a slight under-read on clear days due to being less sensitive to low early morning/late evening sun). In addition it's open to differences in interpretation between observers. Here's a old thread on the subject on this forum. https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/52670-kz-vs-cs-sunshine/

So they actually use some method/correction that actually results in the KZ readings being higher than traditional CS sensor, even though the CS sensor typically over-read bright sunshine anyway?

Gotta be honest, if looking into it of my own accord everything seems to point to the sensor change being the cause here, at least from what I have seen so far.

Lol yes, out for an early Christmas morning run and maybe didn't realise it was so cold as that was so rare here.. and I agree there.

Well for the SE and central S stats compared to the average for the same region, which I would think/hope the Met Office would keep correct and comparable, 2013 had 73.6 hours more than average, 2014 had 90.1 hours more than average, while 2015 was 21.3 hours below average.

The I corrected values were posted originally at the time, but they were then corrected about 2-3 years ago, and since then they have only poste the corrected values. 

I believe the KZ records higher sunshine hours, as it has a lower 'burn' threshold than the CS (120 vs 140 W/m2). Most other countries that have switched to KZ or electronic sensors have reports an increase in sun hours, such as NZ with a similar climate to here.

Paris and Berlin have the same sun hours as London (around 1650), but since switching to electronic sun recorders they are now around 1700-1800 hrs.

The Met Office have stated that they perform conversions on sunshine data before.

Edited by B87

Posted

Unpleasant start to the day,close and muggy,fingers crossed this will be gone by midweek onwards. The 2 day heat looks just that,short lived.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Luckily, temps look to be staying around average after the heat. For here that means highs of 21C. Hot to some, perhaps..

Edited by cheese

Posted
49 minutes ago, cheese said:

Luckily, temps look to be staying around average after the heat. For here that means highs of 21C. Hot to some, perhaps..

Agree,can't see the temps dropping into the teens for a bit,21c as a mean high is ideal in my opinion,something to suit the majority while working but i suspect that many would like something a tad higher at the weekend,that is if your not working!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

30c reaching parts of Yorkshire on Tuesday high 20's for many parts of England and Wales with mid 20's for parts of Scotland and NI

CneHl88WIAA_qcD.jpg

Posted

Just seen the min for London overnight tuesday,23c is not good,good luck to those who have to endure that!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
12 minutes ago, markyo said:

Just seen the min for London overnight tuesday,23c is not good,good luck to those who have to endure that!

It's really not that bad especially if you have a decent fan or even an air cooling unit in the bedroom. Lovely for sitting outside til late enjoying a nice drink too!

Posted

seriously guys, this thread is full of people bemoaning heat in summer (short-lived heat at that).

We have to endure your preferential temperature of 12-16 degrees for 362 days of the year, i'm sure you can manage 3 little days;)

I'm not a cold fan at all, but i would happily endure 3 days of actual winter so the cold fans can get their fix and be happy for them

• Like 1

Posted
24 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

It's really not that bad especially if you have a decent fan or even an air cooling unit in the bedroom. Lovely for sitting outside til late enjoying a nice drink too!

True,fan or air cooler would be needed i think,totally agree about the late outside drink,would be nice. For a wimpy northern like me though i'm so glad i've now got proper air con in my bedroom,i would struggle with that night time temp,one is getting old! Hope you enjoy the heat while it lasts,long time coming,you've had to put up with a lot this summer.