Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?

Posted
3 minutes ago, conor123 said:

Just like those winter cold spells the charts keep showing warm spells only to take them away and move them back again and again, aka this weekend looked gorgeous on the charts this morning and now all three show grotty muck with any warmth delayed to the 'working week', not had a nice summer weekend aka sunny both saturday and sunday since 2013!

when in despair, there's always the GEM.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, draztik said:

when in despair, there's always the GEM.

Literally threw in the towel on any hope of a decent weekend yesterday only to wake up to cross agreement on all models this morning on 23-25c sunshine again...get back this evening and it's completely gone again!!! this summer worst of all time :laugh:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Starting now to suspect our spainish friend has lost his passport this year,i know so many enjoy a visit but my gut feeling is that he won't be touching our shores this summer. Very good news for me(very selfish i know),to much mobility in the weather to make any proper assumption  but i did say at the start of June after that warm spell my gut feeling was that was it for my region and no heatwave this summer,so far proved right,long way to go though,time will tell. Bit concerned about August,think i may get shot down in flames then,rightly so!

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, conor123 said:

Literally threw in the towel on any hope of a decent weekend yesterday only to wake up to cross agreement on all models this morning on 23-25c sunshine again...get back this evening and it's completely gone again!!! this summer worst of all time :laugh:

I am no fan of summer heat, but some warmth would be nice. And yes, the models keep flipping - what has really disappointed me has been the GEFS.... the 6z had temps of 25-28 widely for the South into weekend, now those have been replaced with standard fare and below. The ECM for the weekend is now looking below ave.

• Like 2

Posted

Definitely appealing more and more to move abroad now, 12 months of 11-16c and stratocumulus leaden skies is insufferable :laugh:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot

Unfortunately I've had to endure more lousy British summers that I'd like to think about but the outstanding grotfests that come to mind are 1962 (awful), 1963 (slightly less awful) 1986 and 1987 (for being so cold and showery).  However still being miserable they all saw some usable sunshine.  The past few summers have been increasingly cloudy with temps. like you'd expect in October.  As I've said elsewhere, during the past few summers any sun has been in the small hours before most of us wake up and by the time it's breakfast time the grey lid has slammed down until the evening when it melts away to leave another cold night.  We could do with a type of sunshine recorder that only records sun during the waking hours to get a better picture. 

Does anybody know the underlying cause of all this cloudiness? 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Relativistic said:

The similarities there are remarkable!

Starting to think there is a 150 year periodicity here. Summer 1676 was also one of the hottest on record. Perhaps Summer 2126 will give Summer lovers something to cheer about.

Incredibly similar! Summer 1676 seemed to have a hot June.

I've included 1995 in this one too....

image.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

Seems like the models are reverting back to the below average temperature/extremely cloudy pattern that has plagued us for the last 6-7 weeks.  Are we ever going to see our normal summers back?  Surely it can't be too much to ask for a summer to have average temperatures and sunshine?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
5 minutes ago, B87 said:

Seems like the models are reverting back to the below average temperature/extremely cloudy pattern that has plagued us for the last 6-7 weeks.  Are we ever going to see our normal summers back?  Surely it can't be too much to ask for a summer to have average temperatures and sunshine?

You watch come September the jet stream will magically shift north and we'll get some warm sunny weather not too late early month its just the shorter days

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

You watch come September the jet stream will magically shift north and we'll get some warm sunny weather not too late early month its just the shorter days

Yes, but the first half of September only averages 20-22c so a warm spell is just going to be like a slightly above average week in July or August.  I don't get how it can be so difficult to get average sun hours in June-August, along with some normal temperatures rather than the constant 20-22c and cloudy rubbish we've seen.  1st June 2016 had a high of 13.8c, cooler than the start of December or February!

I still haven't even seen 27c yet this year, and it's mid-July!  I've only had 3 days of 25c too, which is just shocking.

Edited by B87
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
3 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Yep, you can almost guarantee it. All kids back at school, holidays used up and come Autumn the warm waft of southerly breezes and golden sunshine invades the British Isles and not a frost in sight until well after Bonfire Night !

C

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Lovely and fresh this morning,amazing what a good nights sleep can do! Not looking good for heat lovers though,even i'm getting sick of this continual cloud.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

A big change this morning from yesterdays heat in our part of the Austrian Alps. A lot of overnight rain, much cooler this morning with a lot of cloud, currently 9c . A lot of standing water on the golf course further down the valley. So a good day to stay in and watch British Politics unfold again. Big news over here.

C

Posted

Not sure why everyone is so down on this summer. We have the most interesting and varied climate in the world. For example in Birmingham for the last two days we have had light drizzle, but now and again we have had heavy drizzle. For most of the summer there has been dark, grey cloud overhead with occasional lighter grey clouds. And the temperatures have ranged from anything between 14 and 17 degrees. How much more variety do you want? 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
17 minutes ago, bringmesunshine said:

Not sure why everyone is so down on this summer. We have the most interesting and varied climate in the world. For example in Birmingham for the last two days we have had light drizzle, but now and again we have had heavy drizzle. For most of the summer there has been dark, grey cloud overhead with occasional lighter grey clouds. And the temperatures have ranged from anything between 14 and 17 degrees. How much more variety do you want? 

Yes, we should be more grateful and realise how lucky we are with our current climate. It could be far worse. The other day I actually witnessed 5 minutes of sunshine. The  constant howling wind also dropped below a Force 5 for 15 minutes. Must be grateful for the variety and realise 'it's not that bad'.....

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer

Well half way through summer and its not yet even began. Its getting frustrating, even Summer 2012 went from its worst to very good in the middle of July.   Still plenty of time for a major pattern change.

Posted
48 minutes ago, bringmesunshine said:

Totally agree.  As well as that, humidity has been extreme.  Very oppressive.  Think it's only been northern parts that have had a poor summer.  Down here, great stuff.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
25 minutes ago, 40*C said:

Well half way through summer and its not yet even began. Its getting frustrating, even Summer 2012 went from its worst to very good in the middle of July.   Still plenty of time for a major pattern change.

Fingers crossed for a spell like late July 2012, that was great. Actually managed to scrape 30C in that spell. August wasn't too bad either with plenty of thunder but also warmth/humidity and sunshine, more so in the first half of the month. Could do a lot worse than August 2012.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
1 hour ago, bringmesunshine said:

Because this forum must be the most negative moan fest known to man..a more miserable bunch I have not come across...however I do take task about that the UK has the most varied and interesting climate in the world..i would definitely give that to the central belt of the US and Canada

• Like 2

Posted

I do agree with some on previous pages in that it could be worse for in recent years and this year. Granted it is rubbish, with not much proper summer-like weather or interesting weather, and I expect mean maxima will paint a worse picture than mean temps.. However I expect it was the same for many of the colder summers in the past. CET's 2-3C below average with wet conditions probably had mean maxima even lower. I'd also bet a similar 'grey lid' effect occurred in the past due to diurnal cloud buildup.

For example in terms of sunshine for England as a whole, nothing sticks out as anomalous to what has gone before. The same is even more true for mean maximum temperature. Only rainfall has shown a notable increase.

England.gifEngland.gifEngland.gif

People also seem to forget about 2013 and 2014..

But on the other hand, the blandness and lack of weather or above average temps (at least since I got back on the 24th June), is starting to get to me... I have not passed 22C for over a month and I haven't reached 25C once this year..  Exeter Airport hasn't reached 24C. Its it really going to be 2 years without reaching 25C? (last year didn't even manage it here)

One could hope that as the GFS led the downgrade of the models the other night, that it and the GEM would be right about what it is currently showing.. but I know it won't, this time it will be the ECM/UKMO of course.

Edited by Evening thunder
  • Like 1

Posted

The moaning comes from the fact that 8 of the last 10 summers have seen well below average sunshine in these parts, coupled with suppressed temperatures in July and August.  Of the last 31 summer months, 6 have seen average or above average sun.

Summer is not about 21c highs with 160-170 hrs sun (and even worse in the rest of the country)!   

Edited by B87
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, stainesbloke said:

Yes, we should be more grateful and realise how lucky we are with our current climate. It could be far worse. The other day I actually witnessed 5 minutes of sunshine. The  constant howling wind also dropped below a Force 5 for 15 minutes. Must be grateful for the variety and realise 'it's not that bad'.....

Be careful! I was recently castigated for using "The howling wind" as a throwaway remark.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer
1 hour ago, weather09 said:

Totally agree.  As well as that, humidity has been extreme.  Very oppressive.  Think it's only been northern parts that have had a poor summer.  Down here, great stuff.

I really think the met office should split into two, one for the North and one for the South.  Its becoming like two different climates between London and Manchester these days, never used to see this silly North/South divide - Look at August 1990 or July 2006, Manchester hitting on 35c. These days we rarely see 30c. 

Posted
1 hour ago, cheeky_monkey said:

Because this forum must be the most negative moan fest known to man..a more miserable bunch I have not come across...however I do take task about that the UK has the most varied and interesting climate in the world..i would definitely give that to the central belt of the US and Canada

Probably because a lot of us are beginning to show the symptoms of SAD.

• Like 2