1987 169
2008 168
2012 164
1924 158
1912 156
1956 155
1907 147
1954 143      

Manchester summer index,some poor summers there !

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
12 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

This morning was awful

yes, just missed me to the north, think it was as far south as Stoke/Newcastle

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot
15 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

This morning was awful

It was the same here, nearer to the coast.  Exceptionally dull with moderate to heavy rain all morning.

Posted

I was watching some episode of treasure hunt from the 1980's remember that?  And the weather just looked so different....summery hot and lovely.... I will not give up hope that we can at least have one week of summer. This low cloud and wind is so unpleasant. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
5 hours ago, Relativistic said:

I am certainly not hating the weather at the moment. Here it is 22C and breezy with scattered clouds. To describe this as "filth" would be a bit of a stretch. And as you're only 50 miles away as the crow flies from Chelmsford, surely things can't be too different down in Surrey? Perhaps I am wrong.

I quoted 1725 and 1912 to exemplify just how bad our Summers can be, and to show just how pathetic Summer 2016 is in comparison. The point being that no matter how much people are loathing the current Summer weather, things could be a lot worse.

I agree with you, it could always be worse. 2012, for example. Doesn't mean I have to like weeks and weeks of cloud, wind and rain or drizzle. I'm not alone either; everyone I know, whether friends, family, work colleagues, fellow allotment holders etc are all moaning and fed up. It doesn't have to be massively hot; some clear skies and light winds would be lovely. It's the relentless Atlantic vileness that just won't quit that's getting me down. Where's the variety that our climate is famous for?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Dont think its been over 17c in at least 3 weeks here, thanks to constant 15/20 mph SW/W winds, so sick of these crap summers, the models just make it a lot worse when they totally downgrade a plume to nothing within 24 hours, makes me :bad:

• Like 1

I rarely post, but I was just looking at our two hottest summers in the CET record, 1826 and 1976, below are the maximum daily temperatures in London over the two summers. (Series 1=1826, Series 2=1976).

Very similar summers, dry and hot with notable heatwaves in late June/early July.

It's amazing to see what a summer can produce!

image.png

• Like 3

Posted

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot
10 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

I agree with you, it could always be worse. 2012, for example. Doesn't mean I have to like weeks and weeks of cloud, wind and rain or drizzle. I'm not alone either; everyone I know, whether friends, family, work colleagues, fellow allotment holders etc are all moaning and fed up. It doesn't have to be massively hot; some clear skies and light winds would be lovely. It's the relentless Atlantic vileness that just won't quit that's getting me down. Where's the variety that our climate is famous for?

Same here. Woke up at 7am to blue skies, 8:30am the grey lid has well and truly slammed down.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

Looks like we will see some average July conditions next week :o Highs of 22-26c, with 6-9 hrs sun per day.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
26 minutes ago, B87 said:

Looks like we will see some average July conditions next week :o Highs of 22-26c, with 6-9 hrs sun per day.

Finally!! Hopefully it'll last longer than 10 minutes 

Posted
8 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Finally!! Hopefully it'll last longer than 10 minutes 

Really need some 30c days to make up for June though.  They've been lacking a lot in the last few years.

2007: 0

2008: 0

2009: 4

2010: 2

2011: 2

2012: 2

2013: 6

2014: 1

2015: 3

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

cheshire gap day, and tomorrow/thurs, be lucky to see any dry weather here before Friday, and sunshine non existant here with a NW flow, right on the Cheshire Gap

Posted
1 hour ago, B87 said:

Really need some 30c days to make up for June though.  They've been lacking a lot in the last few years.

I'm dreaming of a repeat of Aug 1995....how nice would that be?!

Posted
2 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

I'm dreaming of a repeat of Aug 1995....how nice would that be?!

Even if we had that, August would be below average for the 2007-2016 period!

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, B87 said:

Even if we had that, August would be below average for the 2007-2016 period!

Shocking really, isn't it?

Posted
2 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Shocking really, isn't it?

To match the long term average, August would need to average 31c, which is 4c warmer than August 1995!.

To match the long term average sun hours, August would have to record over 650 hrs sun, which is impossible!

Edited by B87

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
1 hour ago, B87 said:

why does it have to be 30c + I'm not sure why there is an obsession with being 30c or above ..what's wrong with it being 25c+

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
17 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

why does it have to be 30c + I'm not sure why there is an obsession with being 30c or above ..what's wrong with it being 25c+

I think it's more a case of why not? It certainly doesn't have to be 30C but it would be nice to register it at least a few times, a bit like -5C in winter. Even last winter dropped below -5C twice here so it would be nice for 30C to be breached, especially if on a weekend, but seems easier to get the former than latter in more recent years. I would generally agree with you though that 25C is basically summer perfection.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.
11 hours ago, Joseph Watts said:

I rarely post, but I was just looking at our two hottest summers in the CET record, 1826 and 1976, below are the maximum daily temperatures in London over the two summers. (Series 1=1826, Series 2=1976).

Very similar summers, dry and hot with notable heatwaves in late June/early July.

It's amazing to see what a summer can produce!

image.png

The similarities there are remarkable!

Starting to think there is a 150 year periodicity here. Summer 1676 was also one of the hottest on record. Perhaps Summer 2126 will give Summer lovers something to cheer about.

• Like 1

Posted
33 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

Because even in a normal year we see 30c around 4 or 5 times.  This year we haven't even seen 27c yet.  25c would be good, if it was recorded regularly like it should be, but we've only seen 3 days of 25c this year!

• Like 1

Posted

No 30C here since July 2006- in the 90s it happened more years than not, with the average probably being 2 or 3 days. 1 or 2 years without would be normal, 10 is not. We just can't get heat any more- every attempt at a Spanish plume just ends up cloudy with temps unable to get past the 20s, if we're lucky- while the East of the country still gets the 30s though less often than before. Just as the East hogs what little remains of winter cold- we just get cold rain all the time even when under cold synoptics. It's like the west coast of Ireland has moved to the England-Wales border. Summer is always windy now, always W or NW windy. Always low pressure forming over us or just to the west, highs never build over us in summer. The only time we get spells of clear weather is in spring, when the sun isn't strong enough for 30C. 

This is not the climate I grew up in! What on earth is going on?

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
16 hours ago, Tommo1969 said:

I was watching some episode of treasure hunt from the 1980's remember that?  And the weather just looked so different....summery hot and lovely.... I will not give up hope that we can at least have one week of summer. This low cloud and wind is so unpleasant. 

Some summers were stinkers in the 1980's ...1980,81,82,85,86,87 & 88 were all pretty poor

Posted

An average forecast for probably the first time all summer!!

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted

Just like those winter cold spells the charts keep showing warm spells only to take them away and move them back again and again, aka this weekend looked gorgeous on the charts this morning and now all three show grotty muck with any warmth delayed to the 'working week', not had a nice summer weekend aka sunny both saturday and sunday since 2013!