Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
50 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

yes and that will feel cold, if windy and cloudy at Wimbledon, would feel warmer in Dec at 15C, least the wind'll be warm

I remember we got Saharan sand last December, car was covered in it, all due to a blowtorch southerly. Hope the coming winter can do better:closedeyes::D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
32 minutes ago, weatherguru14 said:

so the last 10 years have been below.. the previous 10 years have been above.am guessing. which one of them is correct??? let me guess the warmer  decade is the correct one..I think people tend to exgerate their location for weather.. London being one of it.Even  the bbc always add an extra degree or 2 their forecast for London.. Even though most of time other parts of the Uk as seen higher temperatures.

The previous decade 97-06 had closer to average temperatures and sunshine than the last one 07-15.  The BBC don't add an degrees to their forecast. It just happens to be 1-2c warmer than most other southern cities.

With an average high of 23.5c, temps of 18-22c are poor.

Edited by B87
  • Like 1

Posted
50 minutes ago, weatherguru14 said:

what makes the  97/06 time frame  correct and the last 10 years incorrect??  because thats how you view it.:pardon:

Because the 1997-2006 timeframe had sunshine hours much closer to average than the 2007-2015 timeframe. Temperatures are about the same, though August is now rubbish.

1997-2006
Jun: 21.4c, 208.4 hrs
Jul: 23.6c, 218.3 hrs
Aug: 23.8c, 212.8 hrs

2007-2015
Jun: 21.3c, 180.1 hrs
Jul: 23.5c, 187.7 hrs
Aug: 22.4c, 157.6 hrs

Edited by B87
  • Like 1

Posted

just hit 150 hours of sun for the month here. Its been a very decent month overall despite a disappointing end in store to come. 

surprised if not amused to see places in southern england on 70 hours of sun. 

must be your dullest on record?

Edited by Lake District Blizzards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

To be honest i feel this summer mirrors last winter,stumbling along going nowhere but may have a little sting in the tail(heat wise of course). Obvious now no heat wave will be happening. Feel sorry for those who need the summer income for their living.

Posted

The ECM Ensembles out to day 15 are quite shocking, if its warmth and settled weather you're after. Trough dominated throughout. This thread is named Summer 2016, unfair, as the outlook is rather autumnal. 

ECM Monthly has been quite consistent - last few updates have been rather negative in promoting 'summer conditions'; a valued asset for medium term outlook in my opinion.

Edited by draztik

Posted

wow what a crap summer this is, I've almost given up on the uk having a good season following the winter that never was and the very cool spring! hat and coat time:closedeyes:

Edited by Frosty.

Posted

Crap summer.?. its been better so far than last year. I hated the continuous cold northwesterlys that  happend most of the summer.At least we've had some warmth so far. first 9 days of june and a few days this week.. The weather may go down the drain now.. Bu thats because its the UK. where you can get hotter weather in april  than in July..Anyway stil think the summer will break out in the second week of July..the Met office are sayng something similar i think.(could be wrong). lets not get to down hearted yet. still 8 weeks  of the summer left and hopefully 2/3 weeks in september.

Edited by weatherguru14
  • Like 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, weatherguru14 said:

what we need is Donald Trump to build a  wall all the  way to top of the atmosphere   so we can block off the atlantic lows that keep attacking tthe uk.. will take alot of bricks.. but possible

Check out the Gfs 6z, it's the most disgusting run I've seen with so many troughs I lost count.:closedeyes:

Edited by Frosty.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer

this time ten years ago we'd be basking in 27c sunshine for a fifth day running, with a slight cool down in coming days with a brief trough then a whole July of sunshine and heat to look forward to. Where are them days gone?

• Like 1

Posted

ahhh yeah summer 2006 was a classic.. But they are few and far between..2003 was a  top summer aswell.I would settle for a july like 2014 that was very good.. 2013  July would  better but unlikely. :D

Spoiler

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot
On 24/06/2016 at 09:55, markyo said:

I feel like and am sure sound like a broken record,our climate has changed and will continue to and until everybody realises this and accepts it then we have a problem in my opinion.

And if I can whisper the forbidden words - Grand Minimum :bomb:(ducks for shelter)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.
15 hours ago, B87 said:

Because the 1997-2006 timeframe had sunshine hours much closer to average than the 2007-2015 timeframe. Temperatures are about the same, though August is now rubbish.

1997-2006
Jun: 21.4c, 208.4 hrs
Jul: 23.6c, 218.3 hrs
Aug: 23.8c, 212.8 hrs

2007-2015
Jun: 21.3c, 180.1 hrs
Jul: 23.5c, 187.7 hrs
Aug: 22.4c, 157.6 hrs

The downturn in sunshine has been exaggerated by the use of a Kipp-Zonen sunshine sensor at Heathrow Airport since 2005, which typically records between 10 and 15% less sunshine during the summer months than the older Campbell-Stokes sunshine recorder.

If we assume a difference of 12%, then the figures look like this: 2007-2015, June 201.7 hours, July 210.2 hours, August 176.5 hours.

By this measure, June and July sunshine has declined slightly since 1997-2006 but is still running slightly above longer-term averages (1961-1990 had 199 hours for June, 195 for July).  However, August (1961-1990 average 187 hours) has been notably dull during the past decade and providing a very sharp contrast with the anomalously sunny Augusts of 1989-2005.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
55 minutes ago, Wildswimmer Pete said:

And if I can whisper the forbidden words - Grand Minimum :bomb:(ducks for shelter)

How dare you suggest the grand minimum makes any impact on our weather,it makes me so mad............only joking,very good point,i'm sure it does have a degree of effect and man made influences will without a doubt multiple these effects. Something is going on,what it is shall be debated for a long time me thinks.

• Like 1

Posted
5 hours ago, Thundery wintry showers said:

The downturn in sunshine has been exaggerated by the use of a Kipp-Zonen sunshine sensor at Heathrow Airport since 2005, which typically records between 10 and 15% less sunshine during the summer months than the older Campbell-Stokes sunshine recorder.

If we assume a difference of 12%, then the figures look like this: 2007-2015, June 201.7 hours, July 210.2 hours, August 176.5 hours.

By this measure, June and July sunshine has declined slightly since 1997-2006 but is still running slightly above longer-term averages (1961-1990 had 199 hours for June, 195 for July).  However, August (1961-1990 average 187 hours) has been notably dull during the past decade and providing a very sharp contrast with the anomalously sunny Augusts of 1989-2005.

KZ records higher sunshine hours than the CS, not the other way around. The burn threshold for CS is about 140W/m2, as opposed to 120 for KZ. The Met Office has been taking hours off, to adjust them to pre-2005 standards. That's why July 2006 now has 268 hrs instead of the 302 hrs actually recorded at the time, or June 2012 which recorded 130 hrs, and was adjusted down to 118.5.

June 2015 was far superior to June 2016 - at least June 2015 had close to average sunshine, unlike record cloudy June 2016!

http://www.meteociel.fr/climatologie/villes.php?code=3772&mois=6&annee=2015

http://www.meteociel.fr/climatologie/villes.php?code=3772&mois=6&annee=2016

Edited by B87

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer

what so far has been the hottest day of the year so far?  Id like to compare stats against the summer that has had the lowest daytime max in any one summer? I know a few years have failed to reach 30c, think the last one was 1993.

if these runs come true then weve reached mid summer and still not yet had a 28c

Edited by 40*C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Well, I arrived in SE Spain yesterday to escape the awful British weather and it was cloudy here too! Couldn't make it up lol....:rofl:

At least it's warm though (25C) and this morning the sun is trying to break through. 

Posted

I'm amazed that the sun has broken through today, it's partly cloudy for once like it should be. Temps are a couple of degrees below normal though, around 20-21c.

Posted
36 minutes ago, geoffw said:

would the weather in orlando in october feel hotter than Turkey in mid summer?

Depends on where you are in Turkey, temps more likely to be higher in central and east Turkey than Orlando, where it can be baking hot with temps nudging close to 40 degrees, but coastal parts usually hover in the low 30's, similiar to Orlando the difference is the feel of things, humidity levels are much higher in Orlando and it is this factor which will make it feel hotter and more uncomfortable.

Posted
12 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Depends on where you are in Turkey, temps more likely to be higher in central and east Turkey than Orlando, where it can be baking hot with temps nudging close to 40 degrees, but coastal parts usually hover in the low 30's, similiar to Orlando the difference is the feel of things, humidity levels are much higher in Orlando and it is this factor which will make it feel hotter and more uncomfortable.

would orlando feel like Singapore? my holiday is 29 september to 10 october and I don't want to feel too uncomfortable