Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
1 hour ago, Azazel said:

i'm pessimistic about summer's chances now. It's absolutely filthy outside. The weather was much nicer here in the run up to Christmas.

I agree,the clock is ticking and until we see that pattern change hold firm for a good period of time those chasing heat will be disappointed. Selfish though it is to say but this weather suits me fine,feel much more comfortable. But I know many crave that change.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
Just now, markyo said:

I agree,the clock is ticking and until we see that pattern change hold firm for a good period of time those chasing heat will be disappointed. Selfish though it is to say but this weather suits me fine,feel much more comfortable. But I know many crave that change.

You do know that the humidity is probably higher now than it has been all month?

Posted
1 minute ago, MP-R said:

You do know that the humidity is probably higher now than it has been all month?

Not by me,high yes but was higher earlier in the month.

Posted

The thing about June is the sun has dissapeared! If I was to put the 3 ingredients in order to make a good summer it has to be:

1.Sunshine

2.Temperature

3.Rainfall

We've had 4 cloudless ish days here but cloudy the rest out of 20. In contrast at the other end of the scale is April 2015...12 cloudless days and many partly cloudy days also. Let's hope July or August surprises us!

Edited by Matthew Wilson
  • Like 2

Posted
17 minutes ago, markyo said:

Not by me,high yes but was higher earlier in the month.

Fair. Sheffield showing at 93% humidity according to Wunderground. 98% here currently with steady rain and no wind so feels muggy despite the rather pants 16C.

Posted
4 minutes ago, MP-R said:

Fair. Sheffield showing at 93% humidity according to Wunderground. 98% here currently with steady rain and no wind so feels muggy despite the rather pants 16C.

That level of humidity with only a slight increase in temp would start to feel a tad uncomfortable to say the least!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
3 minutes ago, markyo said:

That level of humidity with only a slight increase in temp would start to feel a tad uncomfortable to say the least!

Maybe to you! I've just put the heating on for an hour, absolutely disgusting in SE England on the longest day of the year.

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Maybe to you! I've just put the heating on for an hour, absolutely disgusting in SE England on the longest day of the year.

I suppose us primitive northeners just aren't as adapt to cope with warmth and humidity,our caves tend to be cool all year round:D

• Like 1

Posted
35 minutes ago, markyo said:

There's 2 months of summer left. Plenty of time for a heatwave to happen. One already occurred in the South earlier this month. The weather outlooks don't look predominantely unsettled with no chance of settled weather at all and the Met Office are expecting spells of dry warm weather alternating with the unsettled spells so it's not all bad on the horizion anyway. Granted the chances for better weather look greater he further south you are though. Temperature wise it looks like average or above average except for the far North.  Models have been indicating more settled weather to start July off at least, maybe this is a pushback of the more settled weather that was meant to arrive this week before it was clear it would be more unsettled than previously thought.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 hour ago, Azazel said:

i'm pessimistic about summer's chances now. It's absolutely filthy outside. The weather was much nicer here in the run up to Christmas.

yes, today is the setup you would expect in Dec, Jan and Feb, temps would be around 13°C, not a lot off difference today in parts of the SE

Posted
3 minutes ago, wishingforsnow said:

There's 2 months of summer left. Plenty of time for a heatwave to happen. One already occurred in the South earlier this month. The weather outlooks don't look predominantely unsettled with no chance of settled weather at all and the Met Office are expecting spells of dry warm weather alternating with the unsettled spells so it's not all bad on the horizion anyway. Granted the chances for better weather look greater he further south you are though. Temperature wise it looks like average or above average except for the far North.  Models have been indicating more settled weather to start July off at least, maybe this is a pushback of the more settled weather that was meant to arrive this week before it was clear it would be more unsettled than previously thought.

Indeed, and I'm sure I'm not alone in musing on the slight movement in the seasons. June is now in effect an extended spring month with September emerging as a new summer month.

I'm certainly of the view the best is yet to come but we might have to wait a while for it. Late July onward would be when I would be expecting much better weather in terms of settled conditions.so school holidays might for a change be favoured.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
8 minutes ago, markyo said:

I suppose us primitive northeners just aren't as adapt to cope with warmth and humidity,our caves tend to be cool all year round:D

Maybe we are 'soft Southerners' used to better than 15C and rain, that's what we expect up North not here!

Posted

If and only if it gets to August and there has been little in the way of settled and warm weather/heatwaves with unsettled weather prevailing and no improvement at all on the horizion, then I will say the summer has been a poor one. Until then there's plenty of time for periods of improvement and better weather. I'm not writing off the summer based on what the weather has been like in the past week to 10 days. Looks like after today an improvement should slowly start with temperatures up a couple of degrees into mid 20s for the South so it won't feel cooler than average and maybe slowly things will become more settled again once this week is over :) 

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, wishingforsnow said:

If and only if it gets to August and there has been little in the way of settled and warm weather/heatwaves with unsettled weather prevailing and no improvement at all on the horizion, then I will say the summer has been a poor one. Until then there's plenty of time for periods of improvement and better weather. I'm not writing off the summer based on what the weather has been like in the past week to 10 days. Looks like after today an improvement should slowly start with temperatures up a couple of degrees into mid 20s for the South so it won't feel cooler than average and maybe slowly things will become more settled again once this week is over :) 

Agree with you for the most part; we have had some warmth and sun this late Spring/early Summer. It's the last 2 weeks which have been shockingly bad. Some convective interest for sure but otherwise, dreadful. If August is a hot one this year then that would make a nice change.

Edited by stainesbloke

Posted

The thing for me is, by August, the nights have already drawn-in a fair bit and the sun is at such an angle on the horizon i start to turn my attention to Autumn.

I wouldn't be surprised if we get a nice warm/hot anticyclonic spell in September. We usually do, but by then its too little too late IMO

Posted
14 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Maybe we are 'soft Southerners' used to better than 15C and rain, that's what we expect up North not here!

Suppose that's what they call the north south divide,agree there is a marked difference in the temps between the two.You put your central heating on when up north we are reaching for a cool beer to cool down!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Might as well start the autumn 2016 thread:closedeyes: Although July is usually the best summer month down south with sweltering temps and lots of wall to wall sunshine, when I say south, I mean the south of France:closedeyes:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
24 minutes ago, wishingforsnow said:

There's 2 months of summer left. Plenty of time for a heatwave to happen. One already occurred in the South earlier this month. 

We haven't had a heatwave this month.  It's also by far the cloudiest June ever recorded - we will need to average 6 hours of sun per day for the rest of the month to even get close to the current cloudiest June (2012)!  To get average sunshine, we will need to record 15 hours per day for the rest of the month!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

I have no idea why we are repeatedly getting poor summers while most of the world bakes but I am getting increasingly sick of it.

• Like 2

Posted
6 minutes ago, cheese said:

I have no idea why we are repeatedly getting poor summers while most of the world bakes but I am getting increasingly sick of it.

Yes, that green tongue extending down from the north, solely over the UK is extremely tiresome - it couldn't possibly go west while we get southerlies, or go east while we're sat under a July 2013-style block. Oh no!

I had high hopes for June, especially given the first third of the month being consistently warm (albeit without maximum sunshine), however since then it's just been pants. Nothing like 2012, given, but that's almost worse because we've had half decent uppers, a weak jet stream and some brilliant convective setups, yet it's still been disappointing. Last week wouldn't have been so bad had there actually been sunnier spells between the downpours/storms. Now we have the Atlantic beginning to gain some momentum, which is no bad thing if the jet was in its summer position! I just hope the jet gets corrected north with time so that at least the southern half of the UK, if not the majority can get some proper summer weather by the turn of the month.

• Like 2

Posted
30 minutes ago, cheese said:

Two words: jet stream. All our recent crap summers have featured this running far to the south from a more normal position. In fact, the jet seems to have taken up a semi-permanent position at 50 degrees north, blasting all year round. 

Posted
1 hour ago, wishingforsnow said:

Heatwave in the South? When did that happen, pray tell??

Posted
1 hour ago, stainesbloke said:

Heatwave in the South? When did that happen, pray tell??

Our warmest day of the month so far was 25.9c, which is certainly not a heatwave in London in June.

• Like 1

Posted

Anyone would think London was  the hottest  city on earth the way some people go on about it..anyway the sun as been out since early morning here.. alot fresher the wind is,. Hopefully it will drop tommorrow allowing us to feel the warmth of the sun.. The bbc as light winds.. So i wouldnt bank on the wind dropping all that much..To them, like last summer.. A gentle breeze is 15mph.

Posted
12 minutes ago, weatherguru14 said:

Anyone would think London was  the hottest  city on earth the way some people go on about it..anyway the sun as been out since early morning here.. alot fresher the wind is,. Hopefully it will drop tommorrow allowing us to feel the warmth of the sun.. The bbc as light winds.. So i wouldnt bank on the wind dropping all that much..To them, like last summer.. A gentle breeze is 15mph.

Well it should be warmer than everywhere else in the UK from April to October, but this month so far has sucked.  It's meant to be in the low to mid 20s, with partly cloudy and dry conditions on most summer days.

15mph is a moderate breeze.

Edited by B87