Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes
13 hours ago, cheese said:

Yesterday was 26C and midday humidity was 49% - in what universe is that 'humid'? It isn't even remotely hot! Christ almighty.. you'd probably wilt and die like a stressed flower if you went to Florida!!

As for today - it's 19C with 83% humidity. In most places in the world, this weather would be exceptionally cool for the time of year. 

We really are not a tough nation at all if we moan like little girls whenever it's a tiny bit warm.. there are people going to work in New York and Chicago every day with weather far, far, far warmer than anything we have at the moment. 

i dont agree its been really sticky i dont suffer with hayfever but have had seriously bad headache.

and if its not been humid then i must be imagining things.

and its been more humid and warmer here than in new york recently,

i agree that we all have our own weather likes and diss likes.

as for summer 2016 i think la nina inbound and the models looking a little more unsettled im noticing that la nina feature of a more unsettled summer looking likely atm but with ever declining solar activity its only a matter of time before the sun goes spotless when this happens then maybe we will revert back to the patterns that established around and after the start of cycle 24.

its not a question of will it happen its question of when and right now and over the last few months theres a steady decline.

but right now the solar feedback is not really going to have much of an atmospheric responce.

but of coarse there are many atmospheric feedbacks to take into account what with high arctic ice melt.

i punt for a 2008 type summer.

Posted

I was in California and Nevada in April, and daytime temperatures typically reached 25/26C. However, due to the very low humidity in the arid/desert climate, it was far more pleasant than what we have had here recently, in similar daytime temperatures. 

Its been a bit unusual that the NW of England has probably been the warmest place in the country so far in June, and the heat has built up over days, with little cooling at night. Indoor temperatures are as warm as I can remember them being in a long time.

I pretty much never have trouble sleeping, yet a few nights ago the heat got to me and I was still awake at 4am. That's unusual, for me. I guess in the NW we are used to short lived warm spells, punctuated with cooler ones, yet it's been very warm for a solid week now.

I work outdoors in a physical job, and whilst I wouldn't say it's been too uncomfortable or unbearable recently, it really does take it out of me afterwards. I feel drained after work when the weather is as warm as this.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

A nice cool down over the next week or so with some much needed rain. Fresher!

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, simshady said:

A nice cool down over the next week or so with some much needed rain. Fresher!

On the plus side that'll mean the grass seed I put down last week will finally get a decent watering!

On the down side the breakdown is happening all to close to Glastonbury for my liking with not too many signs of changing before I go to the festival on Tues 21st...

Posted

Honestly I have seen nothing out the ordinary, then again I am a Londoner we are accustomed to very warm bordering into hot temperatures - we've not seen that.

It's not felt oppressive to me, the nights always get to me. Summer started sour, I'm glad to say things have perked up quite considerably. :) 

Posted

I think that can be misleading.. the spine of the UK often get warmer temps than London.. on alot of occassions low cloud drifts in from  the east coast over night and takes longer to clear the further east you are.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
12 minutes ago, weatherguru14 said:

I think that can be misleading.. the spine of the UK often get warmer temps than London.. on alot of occassions low cloud drifts in from  the east coast over night and takes longer to clear the further east you are.

London usually gets the hottest temps of the year though (and when it doesn't then Wisley or Gravesend will), and is consistently warmer overall.  Average high down here in July is 24c vs 21c in somewhere like Leeds.  A 3c difference is noticeable when you're talking about monthly averages, it's like comparing London to Bordeaux.

What we've had for the first 8 days of the month has seen temperatures below average, rainfall above average, and sunshine well below average.

Edited by B87
  • Like 1

Posted

what nonsense... its been warmer in leeds than london  in the last 2 weeks over all.. Heard ppl complaining about how cold its been in london of late..Infact western scotland as recorded some of the highest temps for a while now.

You can go on about history.. But i'm about recent weather.. London as been doing crap.. in relation to the western side of the UK.

Really hoping this week is the warmest spell here this Summer, max temps in the teens are much more comfortable for being out and about in, next week is going to feel heavenly to me and most other people.

Can't wait for Autumn and then the best season Winter, even the mildest Winters are alot cooler than this week.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
4 minutes ago, Eugene said:

Really hoping this week is the warmest spell here this Summer, max temps in the teens are much more comfortable for being out and about in, next week is going to feel heavenly to me and most other people.

Can't wait for Autumn and then the best season Winter, even the mildest Winters are alot cooler than this week.

Agree,in my opinion next week won't be as tiring and more comfortable but it is summer and many people do enjoy low to mid twenties so long as they aren't doing any physical work. There is a huge difference in a work day and a non working day when higher temps/humidity is involved I find,but it's a individual thing and one cap does not fit all by any means! Likewise regarding the autumn,my favourite season by far but a heck of a lot of people depend on the summer months for their living.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
5 hours ago, Eugene said:

Are you kidding? Max temps in the teens in Summer is comfortable?? It's not Alaska! I really don't understand how people can find low to mid 20's 'hot' or 'uncomfortable', unless doing hard work outdoors. You might find it nice next week but I doubt the vast majority of normal people will. 

• Like 2

Posted
17 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Are you kidding? Max temps in the teens in Summer is comfortable?? It's not Alaska! I really don't understand how people can find low to mid 20's 'hot' or 'uncomfortable', unless doing hard work outdoors. You might find it nice next week but I doubt the vast majority of normal people will. 

Seriously! You really do not get it at all. Everybody is different,low to mid 20's is more than enough for most people in my opinion,i work across the country and find more or less the same agreement. As for doing hard work outdoors i'm pretty sure the majority of workers would enjoy temps lower than mid 20's. This is my opinion though! Getting bit frustrated when the " Are you kidding brigade" rear their head and state the vast majority agrees with them. Getting a bit boring. Sorry.

• Like 3

Posted

Most of our terrible summers have average highs around 21c in July/August.  That is not warm enough to me at that time of year, though it's alright in June. The coldest day in July is usually about 18c, and that's not summery.

Edited by B87

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
7 hours ago, B87 said:

London usually gets the hottest temps of the year though (and when it doesn't then Wisley or Gravesend will), and is consistently warmer overall.  Average high down here in July is 24c vs 21c in somewhere like Leeds.  A 3c difference is noticeable when you're talking about monthly averages, it's like comparing London to Bordeaux.

What we've had for the first 8 days of the month has seen temperatures below average, rainfall above average, and sunshine well below average.

Average high in London in July is 23.5C. In Leeds it's 21.2C. That's a difference of 2.3C. That's only marginally larger than the difference between London and Paris - two climates you claim are very similar. 

Not much difference at all. Sunshine hours broadly comparable, ditto rainfall. They have exactly the same climate in almost every aspect. London is just a bit warmer. 

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

High pressure could return later next week but it may not last long

235353.png

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/36494375

Following pretty much what @knocker said in the MOD thread - https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/85513-model-output-discussions-12z-03052016/?do=findComment&comment=3402513

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
7 hours ago, CreweCold said:

Yep very nina esque with the jet running S of the UK through France. A very hard pattern to shift out of if that sets up (as we've seen in previous years) and would certainly fit the common idea of a nina summer. I suspect we'll have one other decent period of summer weather possibly late June/very early July before a swift deterioration once again.

I notice that you mention La Nina and 'washouts' a lot, particularly leading up to this Summer.

I thought i'd quote this from the Met Office:

however, we have seen El Niño decline, and whilst there is a growing likelihood that its counterpart La Niña will develop over the summer, it has only a weak link to the UK at this time of year. In fact, the various global phenomena that are now present or are expected to develop all appear to have relatively weak effects on UK weather at this time of year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
13 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

I notice that you mention La Nina and 'washouts' a lot, particularly leading up to this Summer.

I thought i'd quote this from the Met Office:

We can only wait and see and assess after the summer has been and gone, no?

There are no guarantees where the weather is concerned.

FWIW it has been fairly straight forward thus far in following the script, I said back in April there would likely be a warm and settled spell late May/June time owing to ENSO neutral. Lo and behold, what happened?? Can't be bothered to go trawling through my past posts but it's there somewhere if you have the patience to go hunting. The only debate in my mind was how quickly the atmosphere headed into nina state.

Fact of the matter is, no output presented at present provides any evidence to the contrary, does it?

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 1

Posted

Fingers crossed that's the last of the shocking nights for sleeping.Before 6am 18c and v humid,roll on the atlantic freshness! Going to need match's today to keep my eyes open!

• Like 2

Posted

Based on Weather Online's forecast, it looks like we could see the cloudiest June on record, just 4 years after 2012 smashed the previous record with 118.5 hours (it beat 1990 with 132.5 hrs).  24 of the last 30 summer months have seen below average sunshine, when will we get a good run of average or above average sunshine summer months?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
14 hours ago, markyo said:

Seriously! You really do not get it at all. Everybody is different,low to mid 20's is more than enough for most people in my opinion,i work across the country and find more or less the same agreement. As for doing hard work outdoors i'm pretty sure the majority of workers would enjoy temps lower than mid 20's. This is my opinion though! Getting bit frustrated when the " Are you kidding brigade" rear their head and state the vast majority agrees with them. Getting a bit boring. Sorry.

Sorry but it also gets boring when we've had 3 minutes of warm-ish (not even hot) weather and the whining begins. Like it's so much nicer having to wear 10 layers of clothing as we do the other 9 months of the year in this miserable cold and damp climate. If everyone loves cool temps then why do millions (not hundreds or thousands) of Brits go to hotter countries on their holidays? To escape the dull chill of our wonderful UK perhaps? Yes, we're all different, fair enough. I just don't get why there's so much upset after a day or two of moderately warm weather? I'd totally understand it if we had a month or two of temps in the 30's C but it's barely gotten above 25C anywhere and only then only briefly. It was snowing in many places only 6 weeks ago, hideous! Anyway, looks like you'll be getting your preferred cool and cloudy conditions for a while now, enjoy them lol, I'll be checking the charts for a heatwave :)

• Like 4