Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper Seasons,lots of frost and snow October to April, hot summers!
On 15/04/2016 at 21:08, damianslaw said:

The cold SST values to our NW could once again result in a rather cool affair with the longwave trough stuck across the country and chilly NW winds, much like last summer. Late July 2015 was terrible, maxima were lower then than many a day in December last year..

Would be good to see a decent warm sunny spell in May as well, they've become fairly rare in recent years, though we had some good spells in May 08, 09, 10 and 12.

@damian law It depends on where the colder than normal water in the North Atlantic is and how extensive it is as to where the upper trough in the Circumpolar Vortex occurs. If the cold in the North Atlantic is extensive and/or a couple of thousand miles upwind the UK the upper winds will curve south-eastwards over the cold water and 500 mb heights will be significantly reduced by the time the air reaches Britain, this would lead to upper troughing and a predilection to poor summer weather,  particularly as seasonal heating over the continent would increase 500mb thickness by warming the lower atmosphere. That in turn would accentuate the trough over the UK. 

If, on the other hand, the cold North Atlantic water is closer to Britain and the North West Atlantic is warmer than usual the upper Westerlies will recurve south-eastwards close to Britain and the trough will be further east over Europe. The upper winds blow clockwise and correspondingly help anticyclonic circulation close to Britain leading to more fine warm weather. 

I think this is where I went a bit wrong in my May and June predictions, a large area of the North Atlantic was cold earlier on in the season (significantly colder than normal, that is) and I put the upper troughs close to Britain. As the season has unfolded however the cold water has become more localised over the NE Atlantic whilst the NW Atlantic has warmed up fairly rapidly, that is going to put high-pressure near the UK with upper troughs occurring further east (over Europe). You may have seen the reports of heavy rain and floods that have claimed several lives in Bavaria, Germany in the news today - that is where my chilly wet May /June went!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I know I'm not the only one that's seeing (imagining?) similarities between this year and 1995...I'm nearly sure that parts of Eastern Europe (especially Poland) suffered from some serious flooding then, too, and that, like this year, that flooding roughly coincided with a stiff and persistent, cack-filled NNE wind running down much of the eastern side of the UK...Maybe selective memory/wishful thinking, I know; but, fingers crossed - I do hope not. Could 2016 be the one?:D

Posted

Today, yesterday and Tuesday have been absolutely ghastly here, with no sunshine, constant drizzle and a persistent northerly wind. The maxima have been 11.6C, 11.8C and 11.3C, all of which are date record lows in 37 years of records.

I'm no great fan of heat, but a change to something else would be very welcome!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Pleasant enough thursday in Falmouth. :) mostly cloudy but warm morning and afternoon but mid-late afternoon saw the sun come out and was a lovely evening. Today looks superb with wall to wall sun. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Looks like that annoying relation is paying us a visit from spain, Hopefully Mr plume will be very short lived,so uncomfortable when he's about!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
17 hours ago, 40*C said:

2nd June and its colder today than it was on 19th December 2015

no surprise there, as Dec would be SW warm wind, June usually NE cool wind, typical post from me, but is true Dec is dominated by warm winds from S  SW or W 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

eastern coastal areas are probably looking at a 10c rise in temperature over the weekend from barely in double figures to the low 20s, especially into next week. Summer proper is on the way. :yahoo:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

With our old friend Mr Spanish Plume paying a visit next week some areas could be seeing a 15c+ rise in temperatures

Today is the final day of this drab weather from tomorrow we'll start and see this cloud in the east become less problematic and a greater chance of it thinning and breaking

The one exception to the above is right on the east coast where the cloud could still be an issue but its certainly the exception by Sunday more areas will be in the low 20's probably mid 20's in some parts of the south

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted

absolutely beautiful mid-november day out there today. Freezing:(

With my old favourite Mr. Spanish Plume visiting next week, it would be glorious if we got an elevated light show to go with Rammstein on the Friday night at Download Festival:D

Then some nice warmth the following day to watch England disappoint wouldn't go amiss

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

It's been above 22C the last 3 days and above 20C the last 5 with blue skies for much of that, and it's currently 17C with blue skies again this morning. Such a contrast with eastern areas.

Even across Ireland, we have parts of the west and south running more than 2C above average for the first 2 days of June, while Dublin Airport is more than 2C below average.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
27 minutes ago, BornFromTheVoid said:

It's been above 22C the last 3 days and above 20C the last 5 with blue skies for much of that, and it's currently 17C with blue skies again this morning. Such a contrast with eastern areas.

Even across Ireland, we have parts of the west and south running more than 2C above average for the first 2 days of June, while Dublin Airport is more than 2C below average.

Makes a pleasant change, us in the east being nice and cool by day and night and the west getting the warmth. Wish it could continue, but sadly it won't.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Just 10mm of rain here in Darlington in the past 15 days and little sign of any meaningful rain in sight

Posted

Cracking start to June here, and indeed end to May, with plenty of sunshine, warmth and blue skies.  The question is - will it last?  June proved to be a great summer month here in both 2010 and 2013, but things quickly went downhill in 2010 while in 2013 we went on to get an even better July.  

I can understand folks in the eastern half of the country wanting to bring in a SW'ly to warm up conditions over there, but from my perspective the longer the westerlies stay away the better the weather is likely to be here - anything from the east is fine by me at any time of the year, especially after enduring Dec 2015 :) 

Posted

Well all you need to do for it to be like this more often is to invent something to reverse Earth's rotation. ;) 

• Like 1

Posted
15 hours ago, March said:

Well all you need to do for it to be like this more often is to invent something to reverse Earth's rotation. ;) 

Ha ha, if only! I'd probably take it for granted eventually if it was the norm. The fact it is rare makes it all the more enjoyable. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

I think we can safely say today is humid and uncomfortable. No way is this enjoyable!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Great weathr continues here, 22C again and blue skies throughout. Nights are still getting down to about 7 or 8C, so comfortable sleeping too. Long may it continue!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
3 hours ago, markyo said:

I think we can safely say today is humid and uncomfortable. No way is this enjoyable!

You're joking right? It was only 20C -even with 79% humidity there is no  way that is uncomfortable. Have you been checked for health conditions? Overweight? 

Edited by cheese