Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer

I hope any heatwave doesn't turn out to be on the severe side, people seem to forget the hot and sticky awful humidity that comes with our heatwaves and the days and nights of unbearable heat. I have bad memories of being in central London during rush hour in July 2006.

• Like 5

Posted
2 hours ago, weatherguru14 said:

Can i ask where this warming up idea is coming from? could it be from the artic circle?.. thats where the wind is going to be coming from..:pardon:

Err...no it isn't. There is going to be a warm up compared to what we have right now.

There are big question marks over surface conditions for the weekend but it will certainly be warmer than it is right now- the breeze is looking like it will be coming off the continent, although an easterly will not be great for the east coast.

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Scorcher said:

Err...no it isn't. There is going to be a warm up compared to what we have right now.

There are big question marks over surface conditions for the weekend but it will certainly be warmer than it is right now- the breeze is looking like it will be coming off the continent, although an easterly will not be great for the east coast.

we'll see... not convinced it will ge tthat warm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
14 hours ago, 40*C said:

I hope any heatwave doesn't turn out to be on the severe side, people seem to forget the hot and sticky awful humidity that comes with our heatwaves and the days and nights of unbearable heat. I have bad memories of being in central London during rush hour in July 2006.

I'm going to sound like a broken record here, but July 2006 was not 'sticky'. Far from it. The hottest day at London Heathrow Airport was 35.5C. At the same time that temperature was recorded, the dew point was 8.0C. That gives you a relative humidity reading of 18%. That is 'dry heat', not humid heat.

August 2003 was not a humid heat either. When London Heathrow recorded 38C, the dew point was 5C. That's a humidity level of 13%. Once again, dry heat. There's a good chance the 'real feel' temperature was lower than the actual reading.

If you want to experience humid heat, go to Florida in August. The UK does not experience that. The source of our heat is from a dry continental landmass, not a boiling cauldron such as the Gulf of Mexico.

Leeds had an average high of 26C in July 2006, and I didn't find that unbearable - only a few days were 'hot' with most days around 25-29C. 

Edited by cheese

Posted

I agree Cheese about the humidity in this country- a lot of the notable hot spells in recent years had a lot of dry heat with low dewpoints. The July 2006 spell was a prime example- although it did get more humid in the final third of the month at times. 

People seem to equate anything hot with humidity in this country- I think it's partly down to how well our buildings are insulated which means they retain a lot of heat at night, giving people the illusion that it's still hot outside. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
4 hours ago, Scorcher said:

I agree Cheese about the humidity in this country- a lot of the notable hot spells in recent years had a lot of dry heat with low dewpoints. The July 2006 spell was a prime example- although it did get more humid in the final third of the month at times. 

People seem to equate anything hot with humidity in this country- I think it's partly down to how well our buildings are insulated which means they retain a lot of heat at night, giving people the illusion that it's still hot outside. 

Disagree I'm afraid. Why then does your car aircon never puddle condensation in spain or the south of france,areas I have driven many times,but in the uk on this hot  "low humidy" days in the uk   most aircon plants on cars condense heavily,checkout any supermarket carpark on these days,you'll see what I mean.Also this applies to mobile aircon units,they fill there water tanks at a much higher rate in this country than abroad. They take the moisture out of the air,so stands to reason the humidity levels must be at a higher level

• Like 3

Posted
11 minutes ago, markyo said:

Disagree I'm afraid. Why then does your car aircon never puddle condensation in spain or the south of france,areas I have driven many times,but in the uk on this hot  "low humidy" days in the uk   most aircon plants on cars condense heavily,checkout any supermarket carpark on these days,you'll see what I mean.Also this applies to mobile aircon units,they fill there water tanks at a much higher rate in this country than abroad. They take the moisture out of the air,so stands to reason the humidity levels must be at a higher level

The figures say differently I'm afraid- humidity is much higher in the Mediterranean in summer for example. If you're talking about in general then yes, over the year I'm sure the UK is more humid as a rule than many other places. But we are talking about notable hot spells here. And in general, relative humidity levels are quite low here by the standards of the Mediterranean for example.

I was in Ibiza last year and the temperature was regularly around 33C in the afternoon with the dew point around 21C, which is a relative humidity of around 64%. This is basically unheard of in the UK with temperatures over 30C. I recall dew points here during 2006 being barely in double figures and relative humidity readings below 20% being common.

It's partly because the surrounding waters here are much cooler than seas such as the Med, and the evidence is in the fact that the evenings usually cool off much more here in our hot spells than they do in a hot spell further south in Europe. There are exceptions of course- the spell in early July last year was a humid one, but even that short spell was not as humid as the typical weather in the Med. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
58 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

The figures say differently I'm afraid- humidity is much higher in the Mediterranean in summer for example. If you're talking about in general then yes, over the year I'm sure the UK is more humid as a rule than many other places. But we are talking about notable hot spells here. And in general, relative humidity levels are quite low here by the standards of the Mediterranean for example.

I was in Ibiza last year and the temperature was regularly around 33C in the afternoon with the dew point around 21C, which is a relative humidity of around 64%. This is basically unheard of in the UK with temperatures over 30C. I recall dew points here during 2006 being barely in double figures and relative humidity readings below 20% being common.

It's partly because the surrounding waters here are much cooler than seas such as the Med, and the evidence is in the fact that the evenings usually cool off much more here in our hot spells than they do in a hot spell further south in Europe. There are exceptions of course- the spell in early July last year was a humid one, but even that short spell was not as humid as the typical weather in the Med. 

Sorry but i say how i find it,been so many times to spain and associated islands,have never felt uncomfortable,i was in the eastern med a few years ago,40plus,hot but ok. I feel it may be a transition issue between cooler to hot spells that may be why it feels so uncomfortable in the uk at times but that does not explain my point regarding the effect on aircon units,in this country the coolant plant parts of them produce way more condensed moisture than in southern climates.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

In my experience summer heatwaves in Britain tend to be associated with low humidity but also high pollution levels.  As well as the pollution generated by our crowded little island, we often pick up a lot of pollution from continental Europe, especially when we pick up air masses originating from a long way east.  Heatwaves also tend to be associated with blocking anticyclones to the east of the British Isles, and the relatively high pressure combined with dry air leads to pollutants being trapped near to the surface.

Thus, I think the comparative discomfort of British heatwaves may be mainly due to pollution rather than humidity.  My experiences when holidaying in various parts of France back that up- for the most part, my heat tolerance was 2 to 3C higher than in Britain, but not around Paris.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

The weather company formally WSI have issued their 3 monthly outlook which covers summer

Most Anomalous Summer Warmth Expected Across Scandinavia and Far NE Europe

Andover, MA

For the aggregate June-August period, The Weather Company, an IBM Business is forecasting below-normal temperatures and positive rainfall anomalies across the UK and western mainland Europe, with above-normal temperatures and drier conditions elsewhere.

“As we head into summer, the weight of evidence is beginning to suggest little threat of big summer heat across the mainland,” said Dr. Todd Crawford, Chief Meteorologist, The Weather Company. “The ocean temperatures just west of Europe are expected to the coolest in many years, and copious spring rains across southern Europe also argue for less sustained or highly anomalous heat. The exception is in Scandinavia, where we have our highest confidence for anomalous summer warmth. ”

For the June to August 2016 time period, The Weather Company is forecasting the following conditions:

June:

Nordic Region*- Warmer than normal

UK* - Cooler than normal

Northern Mainland* - Cooler than normal

Southern Mainland* - Warmer than normal

July:

Nordic Region - Warmer than normal

UK - Cooler than normal

Northern Mainland - Cooler than normal

Southern Mainland - Warmer than normal

August:

Nordic Region – Cooler than normal Norway, warmer than normal elsewhere

UK – Cooler than normal

Northern Mainland - Cooler than normal west, warmer than normal east

Southern Mainland - Cooler than normal west, warmer than normal east

TRADER_T2M_DFN30_WSI_DAY3090_EUROP400.jp

http://business.weather.com/news/the-weather-company-cool-summer-across-uk-and-western-mainland-europe

Posted

Not the best forecast! But I still rest my hopes on Netweather original June forecast of a warmer than normal June. Matt Hugo and Iapennell are also suggesting above in terms of temperature as Summer as a whole. James Madden seems the most optimistic though!

Edited by Matthew Wilson

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
12 hours ago, cheese said:

I'm going to sound like a broken record here, but July 2006 was not 'sticky'. Far from it. The hottest day at London Heathrow Airport was 35.5C. At the same time that temperature was recorded, the dew point was 8.0C. That gives you a relative humidity reading of 18%. That is 'dry heat', not humid heat.

August 2003 was not a humid heat either. When London Heathrow recorded 38C, the dew point was 5C. That's a humidity level of 13%. Once again, dry heat. There's a good chance the 'real feel' temperature was lower than the actual reading.

If you want to experience humid heat, go to Florida in August. The UK does not experience that. The source of our heat is from a dry continental landmass, not a boiling cauldron such as the Gulf of Mexico.

Leeds had an average high of 26C in July 2006, and I didn't find that unbearable - only a few days were 'hot' with most days around 25-29C. 

I have to agree on this occasion. I utterly despise humidity but stunning months like July 06 and 13 actually were very bearable to me.

I think humidity in the main comes less from sustained pressure builds and more from transient warm spells, especially later in summer when the seas have warmed and the breeze seems less cool.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heatwaves, thunderstorms, cold/snowy spells.

I remember 23rd July 2013 easily, i think that was the most humid morning ive ever felt in the UK, when the 3 - 4 week heatwave broke down into some impressive thunderstorms.

Posted
20 hours ago, Scorcher said:

are you still convinced its going to  warm up? how long is it going to last?? and will  the warm up get pushed back another week or two?/ Seen it for years.. in the summer weather forecasters over egg the possibility of a warm spell.  gives peple fall impressions and when it get closer to the date they predicted it will turn fair.  its GONE.. only to be replaced by another claim  week on tuesday looks like things will settle down.. etc etc etc.

Posted

Its a nice start today.. feeling warm.(weather man this morning). nooooo wait apart from the north easterly thats actually making it feel cold.. sorry being a cynic  but no one seems to be mentioning how cold the wind is currently...:D..I know it sheltered western areas  it wont be has bad though.

Posted

Doesn't feel even remotely cold. What on earth are you talking about?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
11 hours ago, Matthew Wilson said:

Not the best forecast! But I still rest my hopes on Netweather original June forecast of a warmer than normal June. Matt Hugo and Iapennell are also suggesting above in terms of temperature as Summer as a whole. James Madden seems the most optimistic though!

If James Madden is optimistic, then summer is OVER! So much blocking to the north and west of the UK, if only it was January.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

First week of the summer looks quite bad down here; unsettled with highs of 16-19c according to Weather Online's forecast.  Hopefully it picks up and we get some average or above average conditions.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
14 minutes ago, B87 said:

First week of the summer looks quite bad down here; unsettled with highs of 16-19c according to Weather Online's forecast.  Hopefully it picks up and we get some average or above average conditions.

Welcome to the forums

Any chance you could stick your location into your profile?

:)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
21 hours ago, B87 said:

Changed now to something more seasonable, with highs of 19-23c.  

Wonder if we can manage to reach average sunshine in any of the summer months this year? We have been severely lacking since August 2006.

Posted

A summer like 2003 would be good. All three months warmer than average, June and August sunnier than average with July average.