Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm & Convective Discussion April 2016 Onwards

Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Exciting weather!
48 minutes ago, Spikecollie said:

What on earth have you captured on that photo?

I'm not entirely sure - but it did look spectacular - hence the reason to borrow the wife's phone for a snap and work out how to post it on the site! Might shove it on regional to see what weather it produced!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
40 minutes ago, stratty said:

I'm not entirely sure - but it did look spectacular - hence the reason to borrow the wife's phone for a snap and work out how to post it on the site! Might shove it on regional to see what weather it produced!

There's a look of 'microburst' to it, might not be though.

Great capture all the same! :)

• Like 2

Posted

WED 27 APR 2016: A SLIGHT chance of thunderstorms:

Broad upper low resides across the North Sea on Wednesday, with cold mid-levels overspreading relatively warm SSTs and combining with diurnal heating inland to create a deeply unstable airmass. Another day of scattered showers and a few weakly-electrified thunderstorms is expected, lightning activity particularly focussed along zones of low-level convergence encompassed by the SLGT.

Very steep lapse rates suggests that multiple events of graupel/small hail are likely, and with lighter winds than on Tuesday, showers/storms will tend to be much slower moving and thus pose a threat for some local minor surface water issues.

http://www.convectiveweather.co.uk/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

As an across the channel spectator, and when the role is reversed, it is important to realise that on "lightning maps" or "blitzortung" we only see the CG strikes. You could be having a perfectly blissful t-storm comprised of only IC lightning and we'd miss it all!!!

Is there any system that records ICs?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

Thunder heard to my NW

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Distant thunder to the east from that very intense shower. So today have had sunshine, rain, hail sleet/snow and now thunder

Posted

Reports of wind damage caused by what people described as a funnel / tornado near Stoke. I'm going to be on the local BBC radio station to talk about it in the morning - any witnesses to it?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

Close call today.....good to hear some thunder though and finish of with some lovely anvils in the sunset

IMG_9091.JPG

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms
3 minutes ago, Arnie Pie said:

Close call today.....good to hear some thunder though and finish of with some lovely anvils in the sunset

IMG_9091.JPG

That is so beautiful...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Got some great cloudscape pics today,plenty going on that's for sure:D

the 1st pic of a wall cloud coming in from the NNE and the 2nd one as it went past to my south,then further on(3rd and 4th pic) how it developed between 15 min intervals,the 5th pic was my fave with the sunlit back shining on the CB,and the last two was a bit later on showing a CB shooting up and dropping hail,all in all,what a great day photogenic wise:)

DSC00312.JPGDSC00315.JPGDSC00319.JPGDSC00323.JPGDSC00320.JPGDSC00330.JPGDSC00333.JPG

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
46 minutes ago, Paul said:

Reports of wind damage caused by what people described as a funnel / tornado near Stoke. I'm going to be on the local BBC radio station to talk about it in the morning - any witnesses to it?

I narrowed the postcode down to the dot on the image. Those echoes must be the culprit?

2016-04-26 (3).png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, cold winters.. How it should be!

Few more rumbles to finish off the evening, courtesy of this nice cell

1_zpsc7nnfrdf.jpg

2_zpse128ma8l.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.
12 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Wintry showers kicked off in the afternoon from Irlam. Thunder from the cell that tracked just to west of here as seen on time-lapse around 6pm

Lovely timelapse! Thanks for sharing these as always! :D

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Whaqt an evening, had a beast of a little storm roll through about 7:30 this evening, the CGS were pure evil looking, like really strong , then had another storm pass to our east an hour latr which let out some good cgs!. 

The top of the main storm we had this evening and the base too like 15 minutes later

Thunderstorm top 1.jpg

Thunderstorm base.jpg

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms

Been out in the garden at a friends in Newport IOW and can see the distant flashes from over the Channel. Impressive 

Edited by paul_montague
Lousy spelling...
  • Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, paul_montague said:

Been out in the garden at a friends in Newport IOW and can see the distant flashes from over the Channel. Impressive 

Did you see this storm over your way in Ryde this Afternoon?

Posted

My friend has kindly aloud me to share this to you from one of our storms this evening, he took this looking from Ventnor Downs looking  over sandown bay and towards Culver

Lightning 3.jpg

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, Extreme Weather
4 hours ago, Paul said:

I'm about a mile from this. The sky looked menacing for sure and we had four intense cracks of thunder with very heavy graupel but for the most parts winds were light.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Some of the largest hail I have ever seen during Tuesday. Often soft hail but it was large does sized if not slightly larger for a time during a thunderstorm at 7pm earlier. Shirt but quite intense with overhead lightning and thunder. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

Just looked at the US current outbreak of severe weather and realized that the storms would stretch from Jersey all the way to the Shetland Islands if they were magically transported here. I would be a liar if I saw storms like those and said I wasn't jealous, people will tell you that you shouldn't wish for storms like those but if they naturally occur what is the difference between hate and love? Surly if people in those areas loved thunderstorms and they paid attention to the weather then surly less people would be caught out and ultimately die? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dull And Uninteresting Weather
3 hours ago, Mesoscale said:

Just looked at the US current outbreak of severe weather and realized that the storms would stretch from Jersey all the way to the Shetland Islands if they were magically transported here. I would be a liar if I saw storms like those and said I wasn't jealous, people will tell you that you shouldn't wish for storms like those but if they naturally occur what is the difference between hate and love? Surly if people in those areas loved thunderstorms and they paid attention to the weather then surly less people would be caught out and ultimately die? 

I wouldn't go over there and say to the family of someone that died oh well it's their own fault for not paying attention to the weather , suspect it wouldn't go down too well

Edited by Gordon Webb