Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm & Convective Discussion April 2016 Onwards

Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms
6 minutes ago, tomjwlx said:

Nice shower to my north right now, no thunder yet from it though.

DSC_0118.JPG

Exactly the one I am looking at too!

Short 5 Minute Timelapse I caught on my Phone, just for trial.

IMG_3290.MOV

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair Weather, Snow, Thunderstorms

Something building nicely out to the west, looks roughly just south of Exmoor

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

I wonder if the showers around South Wales can make it into the West Midlands before losing intensity as the sun goes down. I doubt it but if they do then I may get my first chase of the year this evening. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Thundery weather now reaching South Wales. So far my expectation of increasing activity extending to S Wales is holding well currently. Again, all seems of a late (ish) convergence zone which extends from North Cornwall coast, N Devon with a continuation of this (or at least along the same trajectory) into S Wales through the Brecons, with signs of a couple of showers also now developing into the W Midlands region - Bromsgrove/Stourbridge area - could be part of the same CZ.

Edited by Costa Del Fal
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy
35 minutes ago, Ben Sainsbury said:

Exactly the one I am looking at too!

Short 5 Minute Timelapse I caught on my Phone, just for trial.

IMG_3290.MOV

No kidding, I'm sure I can see that cell from here in Cambs :O !  Huge cumulonimbus calvus on the horizon! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Just had a storm here with a some good lightning every few seconds and constant thunder to begin with, mixed with heavy rain/hail! Better than anything we had last year even if it was short lived!

• Like 1

Posted

CRIKEY - nearly had a heart attack on that one - huge flash of lightning and thunder clapped over head

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Definitely some of the best convection of the day around here now, some darker skies just to my south. Probably will be a bit too late for anything here but tomorrow looks as if not more promising.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, humid & exciting
5 hours ago, William Grimsley said:

Just want a opinion, how close do people think any developments will be to me as I can only ideally go inland about 20 miles if that if I'm quick later on or would I have to go all the way towards Exmoor?

Wheres William I wonder? Seems Exmoor would have been a good bet! Love the dense little compact core on radar of the storm there now

Fullscreen capture 12042016 183225.bmp.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dull And Uninteresting Weather
Just now, Costa Del Fal said:

Definitely some of the best convection of the day around here now, some darker skies just to my south. Probably will be a bit too late for anything here but tomorrow looks as if not more promising.

wouldn't ruled out a shower thunder is probably less likely but you never know but I hope not

Posted

that radar return looks quite heavy , hope it does'nt turn thundery

Edited by Gordon Webb

Posted
8 minutes ago, Gordon Webb said:

wouldn't ruled out a shower thunder is probably less likely but you never know but I hope not

Indeed Gordon. I hope it all avoids you of course! :) Do think time is ticking for today anyway before energy dies away. Think the cloud was a little stubborn to leave in the end - seemed to be quite a bit of high cloud following the trough/front up north which developed over S Wales/W Midlands. 

However some of those developing cells around Hay-on-Wye and Crickhowell/Abergavenny way may have our name on them here if they hold. Not a long distance but everything is slow moving today (and tomorrow!).

However one thing that does confuse me is that nocturnal cooling seems to be either a help or hindrance to storms. Can anyone help me on this. I have seen a couple of storms around evening in the past that have suddenly become very active lightning wise from nocturnal cooling (or so I was told) yet most of the time, everything just fades on sunset or thereabouts. Any information on this would be appreciated. :)

Edited by Costa Del Fal

Posted
1 minute ago, Costa Del Fal said:

Indeed Gordon. I hope it all avoids you of course! :) Do think time is ticking for today anyway before energy dies away. Think the cloud was a little stubborn to leave in the end - seemed to be quite a bit of high cloud following the trough/front up north which developed over S Wales/W Midlands. 

However one thing that does confuse me is that nocturnal cooling seems to be either a help or hindrance to storms. Can anyone help me on this. I have seen a couple of storms around evening in the past that have suddenly become very active lightning wise from nocturnal cooling (or so I was told) yet most of the time, everything just fades on sunset or thereabouts. Any information on this would be appreciated. :)

i think it dpends on the situation i think sometimes it's a help and some it's a hinderance I'm sure some one with more knowledge could give you a more details , on a cheerier note radar echos seem less intense

Posted

Huge overhead clap of thunder around 6.30 - just a few drops of rain but I can still hear the rumbles in the distance. Quite unexpected - and the last time this happened it took a day to get my cowering cat to come down from the top of the kitchen cupboards, where he's now hiding. So off to open a tin of tuna I suppose...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

Hello everyone! Yes, you guessed it! I went to North Devon to do some thunderstorm chasing! I drove into two thunderstorms around Barnstaple which contained several flashes of cloud to cloud lightning, several claps of thunder, marble sized hail and torrential rain! They were the best thunderstorms I had seen since September 2014! What a great start to the 2016 thunderstorm chasing season! I'm so glad I went now, it was brilliant! :D

Edited by William Grimsley
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorm

Ladies and gents here's some photos I took at work earlier in Exeter, this is the cell over north Devon at 6pm. Haven't seen a thundercloud like this in ages, normally low level cloud blocks it! Certainly a great start to 2016, lets hope for high temps and more of this type of stuff. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms
21 minutes ago, William Grimsley said:

Hello everyone! Yes, you guessed it! I went to North Devon to storm chase! I drove into two thunderstorms around Barnstaple which contained infrequent cloud to cloud lightning, several claps of thunder, marble sized hail and torrential rain! I'm so glad I went now, it was brilliant! :D

Brilliant William I am glad! Meanwhile this is a long range view of those beauties over North Devon!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpg

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Kicking off again with lightning to the NE of Cirencester. Some very well scattered heavy showers across South Wales and the West Midlands.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

If you look at my Nest cam live stream: https://video.nest.com/live/Atmiip, you can see the anvils of the thunderstorms over the otherside of the English Channel! :D

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Evening peeps:D

glad some of you had a storm today,nowt up here but managed to get a bit of a CB shot in the distance from that stuff between sheff and notts earlier

DSC00131.JPG

nice little storm near barnsley west midlands,should be barnsley south yorkshire ha! ha!,also storms now heading up into the channel islands.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

Strenghening cell to the North of Birmingham (Burntwood way)

IMG_8599.JPG

• Like 4