Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales - Weather Chat - Spring 2016 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...

Cloudy and rather cool by the Preseli hills this morning with a hint of drizzle.  Looked at the radar and decided south was best.  Drove down to Pembrey sands and there it was wall to wall blue skies with very warm sunshine, light sea breeze and almost no clouds at all.  We could see the cloud bank clearly to the north but it never moved all day.  What a difference 30 miles makes in this part of the world. Moral of this story - don't live in the hills, live by the sea instead!

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

Heavy rain piling in from the Irish Sea across Snowdonia.

Edited by kar999

Posted

After the predicted low cloud and rain for most of Tuesday, the last two days have been an almost incredible flip from the forecast at the weekend, and we have enjoyed long spells of unbroken sunshine, light winds, and balmy (for September at least) temperatures peaking at around 23 C.  A really memorable spell of summery weather at the beginning of Autumn, although I fear it will be our last this year.....

Posted

Drizzle arrived here at 5pm off the Irish sea. Now up in the clag in the mountains.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy..warm summers but not so hot you can fry an egg on the ground

Hello all...haven't dropped in for a while.have been waiting for silly season to start and by the posts in the model thread over the last few days it could be a different ball game this winter!!⛷

• Like 1

Posted
16 hours ago, dbaloo said:

Hello all...haven't dropped in for a while.have been waiting for silly season to start and by the posts in the model thread over the last few days it could be a different ball game this winter!!⛷

I really hope so!. My little one is 3 next week. She hasn't seen a flake of snow. 

I'm enjoying this lovely Autumn weather though. Long may it last. 

Anything but wind and rain for me. Snow would be a huge bonus though

• Like 1

Posted

Given we're about to enjoy a nice easterly I thought it's probably time to log into Netweather for the first time this Autumn/ upcoming Winter. Sod's law tells us we'll get a nice, settled and cool Easterly-driven October, just for it to be blown away by some blowtorch SW'lies come November through March. Here's to hoping that's the jinx against such weather this year. Snowless since 2013 here in Newport, bar a 20 minute shower last year!

Posted

We’ve currently been experiencing a run of strong El Ninos. When these give way to a run of strong La Ninas, we can expect temperatures to drop below average. I’m not looking forward to this. I’d much rather have abnormally warm weather than abnormally cold weather.As la nina kicks in colder sea serface temperatures are now kicking in interestimg weather ahead over the next few years watch the latest sea serface temperatures take a drop over the next few months CuuWXFLWYAAs2i0.jpg

Edited by keithlucky
  • Like 1

Posted

If the sea surface temps drop,what impact will that have on us welsh folk?!  Hopefully we will get some snow I wouldn't mind even thick frost!

Posted
21 hours ago, whiskers said:

If the sea surface temps drop,what impact will that have on us welsh folk?!  Hopefully we will get some snow I wouldn't mind even thick frost!

Tends to produce volitile weather also colder than average weather through out next year  https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjKg8OK6-TPAhWsJsAKHZPmBTAQFggmMAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.express.co.uk%2Fnews%2Fweather%2F647010%2FWeather-UK-El-Nino-La-Nina-warning-UK-storms&usg=AFQjCNHfCgOP6a7t9gyXnrLUODt9boDNxg

• Like 1

Introducing myself; located half way up the Cambrian Mountains on the seaward side, 11 miles from the coast. Living in a valley we tend to have somewhat of a micro climate here, but there's usually plenty going on weather wise at this height. A cheap an' cheerful Watson W8681 set up which has functioned well for over 10 years now.

Currently 4.6C, light cloud cover and a 1.6mph breeze from the SE. Pressure 1014.9, falling slowly..

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
Just now, Greyowl55 said:

Introducing myself; located half way up the Cambrian Mountains on the seaward side, 11 miles from the coast. Living in a valley we tend to have somewhat of a micro climate here, but there's usually plenty going on weather wise at this height. A cheap an' cheerful Watson W8681 set up which has functioned well for over 10 years now.

Currently 4.6C, light cloud cover and a 1.6mph breeze from the SE. Pressure 1014.9, falling slowly..

Welcome to NW Greyowl55...

I am as per my name suggests from Bham.

But we all like to follow the weather in adjacent areas.

You will be made welcome in the Midlands thread if you would like to post in there occasionally.

MIA

16 hours ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

Welcome to NW Greyowl55...

I am as per my name suggests from Bham.

Thanks, I certainly will. I was in the MW Forum/Group for several years, but it morphed in to something else and then ... I'm not sure what happened to it. I had to go in to hospital for a big op and when I came out it wasn't there.

Posted

There's a lot of talk about there being a cold northerly spell,anybody has any thoughts for us welsh folk? 

Posted
8 hours ago, whiskers said:

There's a lot of talk about there being a cold northerly spell,anybody has any thoughts for us welsh folk? 

Personally, I can't wait for a proper cold spell, if it really is on the way!  I hated the long very wet and very windy period we suffered from November last year - remember Eglwyswrw which nearly broke the record for the number of consecutive days with rain?  That's only eight miles from me.  We had water in the road running past the front door for - seemed like - weeks.  A settled spell of cold weather with some proper frost (to finish off the wasps!) and a few inches of snow for a week around Christmas would be perfect!  The hills round here look beautiful with snow.  Unfortunately it's difficult to get meaningful snowfall so close to the Irish Sea but I live in hope.....

As above. As a keen gardener we do really need some cold & frosts to get rid of all the bugs and give a spectacular finale to the autumn. Just wall to wall cloud at the mo, 1.6 mph northerly, lightest of lightest drizzle, 9.2C and a pressure of 1022.8 mb.

10 minutes ago, Sky Full said:

with some proper frost (to finish off the wasps!)

As a dedicated wasp loather I can't agree more. Mind you, I haven't seen many about here for several years. Must be something to do with dispatching every queen wasp I can find in April.

Posted
5 hours ago, Greyowl55 said:

As above. As a keen gardener we do really need some cold & frosts to get rid of all the bugs and give a spectacular finale to the autumn. Just wall to wall cloud at the mo, 1.6 mph northerly, lightest of lightest drizzle, 9.2C and a pressure of 1022.8 mb.

As a dedicated wasp loather I can't agree more. Mind you, I haven't seen many about here for several years. Must be something to do with dispatching every queen wasp I can find in April.

We had a lot of wasps around the house this summer but it was only the other day that I noticed them gathering around one end of the roof so I think we might have a nest up there.  I'll wait for the cold to settle them down before I get up a ladder to investigate!   I'm hoping the colder N/NWlies forecast for next week will blow away the cloud cover and leave us with crisp sunnier days for a while, and maybe the first frosts of winter by night?   Looks like another mild and cloudy day here today, though.  Guess I'll be washing the car then.

• Like 1

Posted
14 hours ago, Sky Full said:

Personally, I can't wait for a proper cold spell, if it really is on the way!  I hated the long very wet and very windy period we suffered from November last year - remember Eglwyswrw which nearly broke the record for the number of consecutive days with rain?  That's only eight miles from me.  We had water in the road running past the front door for - seemed like - weeks.  A settled spell of cold weather with some proper frost (to finish off the wasps!) and a few inches of snow for a week around Christmas would be perfect!  The hills round here look beautiful with snow.  Unfortunately it's difficult to get meaningful snowfall so close to the Irish Sea but I live in hope.....

Wednesday should see our first frost across Wales get rid of these bloomin whitefly been a pain in the butt this year lol.

Posted

It was warm here too,hope to see some frost by the end of the week,don't think this cold spell is going to hang around for long though,fingers crossed it does!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather, wind, snow, heat, storms

Interesting post from Fergie in the South West thread. Contingency planning forecast is going for colder than average winter. 

Its been the perfect October (for me) and hopefully a quiet November on the Atlantic front. 

• Like 1