Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England - Weather Chat - Spring 2016 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted

Yes it was a truly awful day today, incessant rain for most of it.  Suddenly feels very clammy now, and mild.  Should be a much better day tomorrow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
3 minutes ago, dodgeredee said:

Yes it was a truly awful day today, incessant rain for most of it.  Suddenly feels very clammy now, and mild.  Should be a much better day tomorrow.

Yep looking like a warm one tomorrow and with plenty of moisture in the ground after today's rain it will certainly feel humid.

Posted

After yesterdays humid and very wet day today is pretty darn good.....  Clear blue skies and 26c.... Pity its not here for more than one day....

Posted

Yep we've definitely gone from the ridiculous to the sublime in the space of 24hrs. (probably only 14 hrs if you mark the end of the rain yesterday at tea time... to blazing hot sunshine from the word go this morning).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

I give this Summer 6/10.  It is not too wet, it is not too hot. We had a decent amount of sunny days. Not a bad Summer.

It is sunny here with some cloud around hopefully it will break through. :)

Edited by pip22

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
8 hours ago, pip22 said:

I give this Summer 6/10.  It is not too wet, it is not too hot. We had a decent amount of sunny days. Not a bad Summer.

It is sunny here with some cloud around hopefully it will break through. :)

I'd agree with 6 out of 10 myself but many down south still basking in high weeks of high temperatures would be asking what you have been on to say that.

location is everything when it comes to weather and in our region, or certainly in my corner of it the weather can be summed up in one word.......mixed

Posted
On 8/24/2016 at 09:33, pip22 said:

I give this Summer 6/10. 

18 hours ago, iand61 said:

I'd agree with 6 out of 10

I'll go for 6.5 out of 10, merely for the fact it's felt a little warmer than average, although I haven't looked at the stats. Again just a feeling, but it's doesn't seem to have been as wet as previous summers. No major flooding apart from a few localised flashpoints. Overall though the heatwaves have been very short and glancing up here, and much better down south.

Today the rain appears to be blossoming on the radar, so for those of currently east of this band, expect rain very soon. Just started here.

Edited by dodgeredee

Posted
4 hours ago, dodgeredee said:

I'll go for 6.5 out of 10, merely for the fact it's felt a little warmer than average, although I haven't looked at the stats. Again just a feeling, but it's doesn't seem to have been as wet as previous summers. No major flooding apart from a few localised flashpoints. Overall though the heatwaves have been very short and glancing up here, and much better down south.

Today the rain appears to be blossoming on the radar, so for those of currently east of this band, expect rain very soon. Just started here.

Interesting you give it that because Manchester Summer Index is not brilliant. Sunshine levels during June and July were not brilliant. 

Posted

I'll give today a 1 out of 10.

• Like 1

Posted

Odd day, bone dry under a heavy grey cloak of cloud until the last half hour which has turned wet, but fairly light rain all the while. Very still calm conditions throughout making for quite a strange feeling.

The outlook for the next few days continues to improve though, Saturday was forecast to be a bit of a washout,but the front is now forecast to stay just to our SE, meaning we could end up with quite a decent day, well at least dry. Sunday also may end up dry, and Monday might stay dry as well with the threat of a shower. Last weekend was shocking so we deserve a decent one this weekend, all good news for the tourist economy, August Bank Holiday is probably the busiest one of the whole year here.

Posted
5 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Interesting you give it that because Manchester Summer Index is not brilliant. Sunshine levels during June and July were not brilliant. 

True, I guess that dry spell end of May and just about influences my slightly above average score of 6.5.  Some washout summers of the past still linger in my memories.

2 hours ago, iand61 said:

I'll give today a 1 out of 10.

That bad? lol

Edited by dodgeredee

Posted

I'll give it 5/10, so far. Plus points:

*Reaching 30C on 19th July, for the first time in exactly 10 years. The max that day was fully 4C higher here than any other day since 2006 (33.6C vs 29.5C on 1st Aug 2013), which shows what we have missed. 

*All 3 summer months have had at least one day reach 25C. Incredibly, since it used to be the norm, this is the first time since 2011 and only the second since 2006.

*There certainly seems to have been fewer cool days this summer than in many recent ones, no stretches of 15C maxima.

*Best May for some time, first time it topped 200hrs since 2001. Particularly noticeable after May 2015 which was one of the worst I can remember.

Minus points:

*Too much cloudy weather, again. Though not as bad as some summers (2008 and 2012 in particular), there have still been too many days with little or no sun. This summer has had a tendency to spells of 4-5 sunny days followed by 10-15 cloudy ones.

*Lack of thunder, except for June which had 4 days and May which had 2. July and August completely thunderless, despite the warmth. 

*Too windy a lot of the time, not quite so much as 2015 but summers do seem to be getting more and more windy these days.

So it's not great, but not the worst either. In the 1990s I'd have called it poor, but it's average by recent standards. Certainly much better than 2015 which had no 20C until June, only 3 days above 25C, loads of cool, cloudy, drizzly gunk and constantly windy. 

• Like 1

Posted

Better day today and it looks like we're in the right spot for some decent BH weekend weather.

not overly warm but usable conditions throughout the three days and certainly better than the wash out looking likely for more southern and eastern parts tomorrow.

Posted

Very poor summer for thunderstorms, one of the worst of recent times around here. Not one decent storm during the meteorological summer thus far and time is running out fast. 

Last two years were poor overall for thunder but there was at least one decent storm. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

I saw couple of flashes of thunder last night at 11.30pm. It was quite nice to see at night. Today it is actually quite nice and fine here atm.:)

Posted

Yes it has been very poor for thunderstorm activity this summer in my area.  I can only remember witnessing a single rumble to be honest.  Very frustrating to see it all kick off in parts of south/central England yesterday.  Some of the pictures were very impressive.  Very lively.  Missed out again here.

Posted

Not a bad day really, mainly cloudy but dry and with a bit of warm sunshine thrown in.

A few showers have come over the last hour though, no doubt spoiling a few BBQ's on the way but it could have been worse.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Well where did summer go?! All in all not that bad up here, we've certainly had worse :D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
On 30/08/2016 at 13:28, *Sub*Zero* said:

Well where did summer go?! All in all not that bad up here, we've certainly had worse :D

Still waiting for it to snow :D:D:D

Posted

Well if we speaking Astronomically and the fact that summer ends around the Equinox (22nd Sept) then I may have to mark up my 6.5 score to 7.0 if next week's promising outlook continues...bit dodgy tomorrow but after that not too bad at all.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Warmer than forecast a 23.5°C currently. Sunny as well which was also not supposed to happen.  Mountains doing what they do best. 

Posted

What a nice day today! I've been sunbathing all day today. Not bad for early September!! 8)

Posted

The models this morning is not as good that we hoped for. The next week's heat just shifted away from us.

Local wise it is actually a nice day here with some sunshine with rain expected after teatime.

I hope the models in the next few days it will shift the heat back towards us. It probably may not.

Edited by pip22

Posted

After a cloudy start, it's turned into a lovely morning and hopefully sets the scene for the rest of the weekend.

certainly an improvement on yesterday and last weekend's poor conditions.