Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England - Weather Chat - Spring 2016 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

5 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

I mentioned on the  convective  thread  that there were some sferics around then.  I was waiting  to see if anything would develop nearer to me. :-) 

Ah yes, thanks, didn't think of looking in there. Looks like the sferics petered out just as the storm reached the Cumbrian coast.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot

Cloudy first thing with a heavy shower during the morning.  Sunny intervals this afternoon but still breezy and at only 19C not really warm enough for sunbathing.  Hopefully that promised 23C for Saturday is still on the books.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All 4 seasons and a good mixture of everything and anything!

I think another reason it's been so very quiet in here is virtually everywhere in England has had better weather than us this Summer. The South in particular have faced a very dry July with some very decent temperatures but us, typically in the North and West, have faced some bog standard frequent showers or longer spells of rain with temperatures nothing to right home about and sunny days not in good supply. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Fly home from Portugal on Sunday one last day of mid thirties temperatures I will try and bring some nice weather back especially for us northwest folk

C.S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

A bit misty very first thing but soon cleared into a lovely warm sunny morning.

unfortunately some cloud has moved in now, hopefully it's not the rain bearing stuff as I'm certainly not one of those suffering from a parched garden and would much prefer a few dry days than another day of sunshine and showers.

Posted

Lots of cloud iridescence in the sky today above the Peaks, these examples taken at just past 5pm.

DSC_0052.JPGDSC_0062.JPGDSC_0064.JPG

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

21°C at midnight, it's a hot one tonight. 

Posted

24c yesterday but blustery,  last night 20c at midnight, low 18.5c.... Nice hopefully end of next week and week after will be more of the same if not warmer.....fingers crossed....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Windy overnight and this morning although at least sleeping with the window open managed to cool things down a bit.

just a shame for the constant noise of the trees swaying about.

Posted

Peeeeeing down.

a poor end to a largely decent weekend and no wonder the local farmers were frantically getting the hay baled.

Posted

Miserable day here today, drizzle on and off all morning and most of the afternoon, mostly on. A minute of sun around 5, now fully overcast again. Fat chance of seeing any Perseids tonight.

Edited by alr1970

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
3 minutes ago, alr1970 said:

Miserable day here today, drizzle on and off all morning and most of the afternoon, mostly on. A minute of sun around 5, now fully overcast again. Fat chance of seeing any Perseids tonight.

vile here as well, no sun, chilly and windy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

A wet morning.  Sunny intervals during the afternoon with a max of   19.3°C so not bad later in the day. Min  over night of 13.3°C.  Incidentally, this week I recorded a minimum temperature of 11.4°C, the coldest night for a few months. Nights seem to have been unusually mild here this summer. 

Posted
16 minutes ago, alr1970 said:

I must have missed the minute of sun although I got my fix for what August should look like when I turned the cricket on.

lovely to see warm sunshine in London while we're in our second day of cloud wind and rain.

role on September when the change to drier conditions usually arrives.

Posted
1 minute ago, iand61 said:

I must have missed the minute of sun although I got my fix for what August should look like when I turned the cricket on.

lovely to see warm sunshine in London while we're in our second day of cloud wind and rain.

role on September when the change to drier conditions usually arrives.

Ay, SE/NW split sucks!

Posted

A lovely summers day here, temps in the low 20's lots of sunshine, no wind, clear visibility - shame such days have been fairly scarce so far this summer. A beautiful summer evenings, calm and clear, fells etched black against a stunning golden red orange crimson sunset - again few such evenings during much of the summer. Light levels are now dropping in earnest mind, a similiar evening just a month ago would be keeping it light until 10.30pm, alas curtains firmly drawn now.

Posted

After a cloudy start its turned into another lovely day.

warm enough few days with temperatures here into the low 20's and that will do me fine

its a shame that it all goes belly up just in time for the weekend though but good while it lasted.

Posted
3 hours ago, Mountain Snow said:

Very wet and windy day, becks on the fells around here are foaming white, not seen for many months. Sure sign autumn is starting to take hold.

Yes, a real deluge over the last 24 hours, surface water evident in the usual hotspots and lots of drains not coping well. Must have had easily a couple of inches, totals not seen for quite some time, and reminiscent of autumn and winter rainfall days, doesn't bring back pleasant memories.. certainly not a day you want to see on a Saturday in August, overall its been a total write off low temperatures and gusty winds making for very miserable conditions. The shops and streets of Windermere ominously quiet for a August Saturday. Skies are a gloomy dark grey now another sign autumn is on its way.

Edited by damianslaw

Posted

Yesterday's poor weather arrived as forecast but where the hell are today's drier conditions.

shower after shower since first light here.

Posted
2 hours ago, iand61 said:

Yesterday's poor weather arrived as forecast but where the hell are today's drier conditions.

shower after shower since first light here.

I was just going to post something similar.  Forecast was for showers to peter out and move over to the east, but they are pepping up as they come off the Irish sea.  Brilliant in winter, when snow is possible, just nuisance value today.  The usual UK two-day heatwave (or should I say slightly warmer conditions than we're known to expect), pokes it's head over from the continent for a brief visit, before being chased away by the ever prevailing cooler west.  Those in the very west of the region might not notice the difference.

Edited by dodgeredee

Posted
4 hours ago, dodgeredee said:

I was just going to post something similar.  Forecast was for showers to peter out and move over to the east, but they are pepping up as they come off the Irish sea.  Brilliant in winter, when snow is possible, just nuisance value today.  The usual UK two-day heatwave (or should I say slightly warmer conditions than we're known to expect), pokes it's head over from the continent for a brief visit, before being chased away by the ever prevailing cooler west.  Those in the very west of the region might not notice the difference.

A bit of improvement since early afternoon but the skies still look threatening.

no doubt the full clearance will arrive at 6pm as seems to be the usual for a Sunday

Posted
2 hours ago, iand61 said:

A bit of improvement since early afternoon but the skies still look threatening.

no doubt the full clearance will arrive at 6pm as seems to be the usual for a Sunday

unlikely that actually, front is here now, early, thought it was arriving 8pm, still expecting a wet one tomorrow, but with front arriving earlier than expected could it be dry?

Posted
29 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

unlikely that actually, front is here now, early, thought it was arriving 8pm, still expecting a wet one tomorrow, but with front arriving earlier than expected could it be dry?

Yep peeeeeeeeing it down again now and tomorrow not looking that great for up here.

Posted
On 21 August 2016 at 19:17, iand61 said:

Yep peeeeeeeeing it down again now and tomorrow not looking that great for up here.

Well that was a bit of an understatement.

heavy rain throughout the night and much of today with just the slightest glimpses of Mr blue sky this evening.

my very much unofficial rain gauge measured over 50mm or rain over the 24 period making it the wettest day since Boxing Day 

never mind our 24 hour heatwave is due tomorrow before more rain later in the week.