Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England - Weather Chat - Spring 2016 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted

Some lightning strikes over northern pennines, appear to be blossoming and home grown, could catch a few out into this evening.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Well just heard the loudest clap of thunder in my life in South Manchester, set off some alarms.

It was followed by another loud clap a  couple of minutes later or so but not as powerful as the first.

Awesome

Posted
3 minutes ago, Mucka said:

Well just heard the loudest clap of thunder in my life in South Manchester, set off some alarms.

It was followed by another loud clap a  couple of minutes later or so but not as powerful as the first.

Awesome

Indeed, it was impressive! I saw the lightening and it was quite wide. It took about ten seconds from flash to bang. A few more rumbles now, but not as loud.

Posted

Looking at the NWx radar, it looks like the lightening hit the railway line in Stretford and in Trafford Park just off the Parkway. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!
5 minutes ago, superslick said:

Indeed, it was impressive! I saw the lightening and it was quite wide. It took about ten seconds from flash to bang. A few more rumbles now, but not as loud.

Yeah and we are 4 miles apart, sounded right above me but I'm sure it was the same for you.

Really loud thunder and punctuated by "sonic booms", amazing.

Posted
5 minutes ago, Mucka said:

Yeah and we are 4 miles apart, sounded right above me but I'm sure it was the same for you.

Really loud thunder and punctuated by "sonic booms", amazing.

Yep, sounded like it was echoing around, impressive stuff. Rain has started to ease off now. Just had another flash and rumble....

Posted
3 minutes ago, superslick said:

Yep, sounded like it was echoing around, impressive stuff. Rain has started to ease off now. Just had another flash and rumble....

Yeah just normal thunder now. would love to know how many decibels that was.

Wonder if the lighting touched down? 

Edited by Mucka

Posted
1 minute ago, Mucka said:

Yeah just normal thunder now. would love to know how many decibels that was.

Wonder if the lighting touched down?

Radar is only showing 2 lightning detected. On the radar is right on the railway line in Stretford, near Trafford Park station where it crosses the Bridgewater canal. I wonder if the extra loud bang was hitting the overhead electric cables as well?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

I heard some rumbles too..... but it's pretty much bone dry here. Seems like the precip is going around us. Strange distribution. Odd seeing the heavy rain on the webcams not far from here in Denton and Stockport. But bugger all here lol

Edited by Frost HoIIow

Posted
8 minutes ago, superslick said:

Radar is only showing 2 lightning detected. On the radar is right on the railway line in Stretford, near Trafford Park station where it crosses the Bridgewater canal. I wonder if the extra loud bang was hitting the overhead electric cables as well?

Yeah that's a thought, could of been some transformers blowing or something but seemed to be with the thunder not the lightning,

I just had a funny realisation though...

I was watching a Bowie video on youtube and had just made the comment "Hope he is rocking it something fierce in heaven" 

Obviously he is :)

I love that sort of synchronicity.

Posted
18 minutes ago, superslick said:

That line's not electrified.

I think the difference with this storm is that the lightning is very low so the thunder is louder that is often the case. Tons of chatter on FB about it, more than last year's more intense storm.

Edited by alr1970

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer - Heat & Thunderstorms Winter - Cold & Snowfall!

Nice active cell over us in Macclesfield at the minute with some nice CG strikes, 

Posted

Only saw a few sheet lightning up the clouds last night.  No Thunder, no CG Strikes and not even any rain apart from a few spots here and there.  Maybe later this afternoon could bubble up a few surprises.  Will be hit and miss again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

25C, no wind. Sunny blue skies. Hot. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Thunder, lightning & torrential rain here.

Posted
2 hours ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Thunder, lightning & torrential rain here.

It was crazy for a good hour or so.  Biblical lashings of torrential rain and more thunder cracks and CG lightning than last night.  You could tell it was going to break today, the buildup of angry slow moving clouds weren't going to go quietly.  Broadway in Chadderton was flooded, so too parts of Middleton.

Now mercifully it feels a tad fresher.

Edited by dodgeredee
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Really muggy today, temperature is currently 20C with  dewpoint of 19C.. feels quite uncomfortable really despite the temperature not being that high.. but would be perfect conditions for storms if they were conducive. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Clod snowy Winters

Here comes the storms i been waiting all week for!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Clod snowy Winters
Just now, karyo said:

Heavy downpours everywhere apart from Greater Manchester!

Anybody having thunder?

Yep 

Posted
Just now, Stratocumulus perlucidus said:

Yep 

Good! You are in the sweet spot at the moment. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Me

• Like 1