Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England - Weather Chat - Spring 2016 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

It could never have been better in December or January, simply because of the sea surface temperatures. It's been fairly cold for a while and SST's should have responded, I imagine they're pretty low for the time of year around our coasts. In December and Jan they would have been higher, I suspect thus limiting the possibility that this would have any better then.

If we have a coldish December however and this occurred in January, I think we'd have some good snowfall on our hands, perhaps something similar to winter 1998-99 (when the band of snow came down from the NW giving a good covering for most of the region)

Edited by SP1986

Posted

Well there was December 2010 and was it January 2011?  Foot fall levels of snow here on both occasions, but I was thinking more air temperatures being lower to stop what did fall from melting, due to lower sun warmth during the day, and less daylight hours.

• Like 1

Posted

today's weather forecast, 19th centuey style, according to Admiral Fitzroy  !

cloudy skies, snow, thunderstorms

(a large flake was at the top of the tube before I turned it slightly to take the picture)

P1060295 (Small).JPG

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Rain turned to sleet. Temp 4.1c and falling

EDIT : Now 3.8c

Edited by Carl46Wrexham

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy weather

Hailstone showers passing through. Now sleety rain

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Other than a bit where I piled it up on the drive, all of this morning's substantial fall of snow has  melted although with the hills still holding some white.

is that it for winter 2015-2016, I hope so.

is it the start of summer 2016, somehow doubt it but a bit of warmth in the feel of the conditions would be nice.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Another unseasonal day with the fells looking more like winter than just a day or so before the May bank holiday. Plenty of showers through the day with a wintry mix here and snow inland with some elevation, max temp this afternoon 8.2°C but feeling much cooler in the breeze. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

So much for Saturday being the better day of the BH weekend.

after a dry start we now have heavy sleet and wet snow.

thoroughly miserable conditions for the time of year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

very dark ominous cloud approaching from the west.. wonder what it'll bring?

Posted

Showers have cleared through and it's a decent day again......for now.

Posted
18 minutes ago, SP1986 said:

very dark ominous cloud approaching from the west.. wonder what it'll bring?

So far I have missed a direct hit by any of those showers but I guess they contain some hail.

Boredom resumes from tomorrow with the luck of convective activity and higher temperatures but I can't complain April has been much better than expected.

Posted

Typical sunshine/shower regime at the moment.  Good sunny spells, but as I speak dark ominous clouds approaching from the North West.  Had a hail shower earlier... typical April showers theme, but still in the last remnants of the colder air.  This should abate into next week.  Indeed tomorrows rainy day forecast for the north west will probably usher in the milder air.

Posted

Not a bad day with plenty of sunshine but still feeling chilly in the breeze, max temp this afternoon 8.6°C. Next few days looking unsettled with rain or showers and some stronger winds so not particularly pleasant, getting milder though compared to this week. 

Posted

Thoroughly miserable day, cloudy drizzly and raw feeling.

All in all, pretty typical bank holiday weekend fare.

Posted
On 28/04/2016 at 3:45 PM, manonthegrassyknoll said:

It,s been snowing here for about an hour, settling well, about an inch.. 

image.jpeg

Great picture - I left about 1.15pm just when it started and pleased to see there was a covering. where was the picture taken?

Posted

Squall line about to come through, already has in many western areas.  Good thing is there is a distinct back-edge so should be decent after about an hour or so's inconvenience.

Posted

Poor start to the day but it turned into a lovely afternoon and then an absolutely fantastic evening as we got promoted back to the

Premier League at the first attempt.

on days like this there are certainly more important things than the weather:D

• Like 1

Posted

Lovely sunny day !! Starting to warm up 8)

Posted

A lot of cloud around so far with some odd glimpses of the sun, quite breezy as well but milder than recently with a current temp of 12.5°C. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: LP - Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

Boom Boom Boom!

ukmaxtemp.png

ukprec.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Very sunny,   15.2°C. 

Posted

According to our local newspaper we have yellow warning at weekend for dust cloud/toxic cloud hitting Merseyside. 

Posted

Got to say, its this type of set up I am looking forward too now I'm living in the North West. Unlikely to be affected too much by the infamous North Sea low cloud and temps will be much higher. One thing to note though, I think winds could well be quite gusty though, would not be surprised if at some point during this spell of weather we see winds potentially touching 40-50MPH, especially to the lee of high ground. I think its most likely any winds that strong could occur in the early part of next week rather than the weekend but its something to note though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
10 minutes ago, Geordiesnow said:

Got to say, its this type of set up I am looking forward too now I'm living in the North West. Unlikely to be affected too much by the infamous North Sea low cloud and temps will be much higher. One thing to note though, I think winds could well be quite gusty though, would not be surprised if at some point during this spell of weather we see winds potentially touching 40-50MPH, especially to the lee of high ground. I think its most likely any winds that strong could occur in the early part of next week rather than the weekend but its something to note though.

Yeah the coast does especially well from an easterly at this time of year through into the Summer, it can really heat up. I remember a scorching hot day in Blackpool a few years ago with easterly but it was a few degrees cooler here a long way inland.

Edited by Frost HoIIow

Posted

Miserable morning up here under the front, overcast skies and persistent light rain but nothing on the radar... Feeling cool as well @ 9°C, hopefully it'll clear later.