Cold?
IGNORED

North West England - Weather Chat - Spring 2016 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
1 hour ago, iand61 said:

I can see it, been saying it myself.

its either that or the seasons are all running about 3 months behind the clock.

People keep saying...'well we've seen extremes so it can't be that boring or like a perpetual autumn'...

Well that may be the case, but in my eyes record 'warmth' in winter = autumn temperatures and record cool/wet in summer = autumn. So yes, the weather has been bland and autumn like for what seems like an eternity.

Seemingly the only thing that's differing is the length of daylight!

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
3 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

People keep saying...'well we've seen extremes so it can't be that boring or like a perpetual autumn'...

Well that may be the case, but in my eyes record 'warmth' in winter = autumn temperatures and record cool/wet in summer = autumn. So yes, the weather has been bland and autumn like for what seems like an eternity.

It does seem like perpetual autumn and it's not helped when for the second year running, northern blocking arrives just when its to late to offer anything more than suppressing otherwise climbing temperatures.

in simple terms, its crap and nothing on the horizon to bring any cheer.

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, iand61 said:

It does seem like perpetual autumn and it's not helped when for the second year running, northern blocking arrives just when its to late to offer anything more than suppressing otherwise climbing temperatures.

in simple terms, its crap and nothing on the horizon to bring any cheer.

For the first time I can recall, the weather actually made me thoroughly depressed...this winter just gone was just vile. Absolutely zilch of any interest...devoid of anything remotely intriguing. A steady WSW'ly gale blowing November through to the end of December and it didn't get much better after that. I can count on one hand the amount of times I didn't either: 1) get soaking wet or 2) blown about whilst walking into work.

Had about 2 'snowfalls' that failed to stick and lasted all of a couple of hours- if that.

People often look to the summer of 2007 as the pinnacle of crap weather but honestly I wholeheartedly disagree....I saw numerous days of thunder that summer and there were some cracking torrential rain days which made it fascinating in its own right.

Edited by CreweCold

Posted

Oh and then there's the much maligned winter 2006-2007. Well for such a supposedly crap winter I witnessed the heaviest snowfall I've ever seen in the February of 2007. Put down about 10cm in the space of little more than an hour...even if it did only last a few hours!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Nice sunset just gone! Mainly dry day apart from one sharp shower around lunchtime, got up to the dizzy heights of 9.1°C this afternoon.

Can we turn the calender back a few months! Painful viewing... 

ecm1.gif

Posted
6 minutes ago, *Sub*Zero* said:

Nice sunset just gone! Mainly dry day apart from one sharp shower around lunchtime, got up to the dizzy heights of 9.1°C this afternoon.

Can we turn the calender back a few months! Painful viewing... 

ecm1.gif

9.1C...

Bet that's colder than some of the days of December 2015! Possibly by a few degrees too!

Oh and on the subject of 2007...what a proper year of weather that was....heaviest snowfall I've ever witnessed in the Feb, a scorching April (without the humidity of summer) then a crackingly convective early summer, followed by some settled weather in the August (again without the humidity). And that is regarded as a crap year of weather...I think not!

Edited by CreweCold

Posted
Just now, CreweCold said:

9.1C...

Bet that's colder than some of the days of December 2015! Possibly by a few degrees too!

5 degrees colder than some of the days during December! We waited months for northern blocking during winter and now look at the charts... :nonono:

Posted
26 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Seemingly the only thing that's differing is the length of daylight!

But what is Autumn? 

Keats calls it the season of mellow fruitfulness i.e. calmness, mists and fogs..

There is no definite weather that you associate with Autumn....

Posted
2 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

But what is Autumn? 

Keats calls it the season of mellow fruitfulness i.e. calmness, mists and fogs..

There is no definite weather that you associate with Autumn....

I don't know Kev, but something is amiss. Even a shallow low parked over the UK during the convective season doesn't seem to yield the same results as it would have in years gone by. I remember some of the summers of the late 2000s and early '10s where we'd be warned of 'torrential downpours' with the UK being a hotbed of convective activity come the afternoon. Now it seems we get scattered showers with the risk of the odd rumble. Nothing scientific but something just doesn't sit right recently.

Sure, we're seeing more orographic flooding recently but we're seemingly losing dynamism within the weather for sure.

Posted

Oh dear quite a bit of woe in here today, understandable given the outlook for the foreseeable looks preety miserable if you are after dry sunny warm conditions. We haven't done too badly though in recent weeks, the latter part of February and especially mid March brought decent dry calm conditions - admittedly nothing warm as you might expect. 

April on average is far more likely to be dominated by northern blocking than Nov-Jan period when the atlantic tends to rule the roost. Northerlies and easterlies reach their yearly maxim in April and May, as the atlantic goes into its annual slumber. Some years we can get very blocked set ups with barely any frontal activity at this time of year, high pressure sat over the country or to the NW, many a dry April, sometimes warm.very warm like 1987, 1997, 2011 and 2007 sometimes cooler. Its the most varied time of year,  expect anything and sudden flip flops from warm to cold, its not until late May when we tend to see more traditional patterns establish themselves - the return of the westerly atlantic influence often being the case. 

• Like 1

Posted

First spots of rain as the front moves in with an increasing southerly wind, been a decent day up to now with some sunny spells and a max temp of 10.2°C this afternoon. 

Chilly weekend coming up with some showers likely but no washout so some usable weather for getting out and about. 

Edited by *Sub*Zero*

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
51 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Personally I hope not.

Posted

Chilly & sunny start to Saturday after the front cleared east overnight allowing temps to fall, currently 2.7°C. 

Posted

Decent start to the day here, a few early showers but mainly sunny now although still threatening clouds about.

current temperature of 5c but with little wind and if the showers keep away,  it's certainly looking like  a usable day.

Posted

Real nice day so far, chilly in the breeze though with a temp of 7.5°C atm.

Bit more cloud inland and a dusting of snow on the mountains from last night.

sat2.JPG         Zoomed in sat1.JPG

Edited by *Sub*Zero*
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy weather

Cold start to the day after it rained most of last night.  Some rain before and just had hailstones too. 

Posted
2 minutes ago, Miamay said:

Cold start to the day after it rained most of last night.  Some rain before and just had hailstones too. 

Yes, showers are showing nicely on the radar now.

• Like 1

Posted

Amazing how fast the showers intensified if you look at the radar for the last 2 hours!

Hailing here now. I won't be surprised if the Pennines get a light covering. :D

Posted

Peeing down here, no snow, no sleet just plain old wet rain.

hopefully it will clear through overnight with the prospect of a dry and warmer day tomorrow.

Posted

I'll take back what I said.

plain old rain quickly turned into some of the heaviest falling snow I've seen for years.

massive flakes and although it took a while to start settling it's now about an inch deep and still coming down.

still didn't really want it in April but nice to see all the same.

image.jpg

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms
Just now, iand61 said:

I'll take back what I said.

plain old rain quickly turned into some of the heaviest falling snow I've seen for years.

massive flakes and although it took a while to start settling it's now about an inch deep and still coming down.

still didn't really want it in April but nice to see all the same.

image.jpg

Holly cow Ian that's insane.Total

different world here cool but no PPN

C.S