Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat - Spring 2016 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted

Rain's probably the heaviest it's been last few days currently. Really not very nice but there is a change finally on the way

Posted

Desperately needing this dry week coming up as shifting cattle yesterday the ground was exhibiting  late November conditions with even old established grass so wet that the cattle"s feet were cutting it up      Currently  breezy, bright intervels, dry and 17c. Believe  it or not we are still haymaking for ourselves and a  neighbour. Hope the  storm  forecast for the 23rd August disappears on the model thread as the spring barley is starting to ripen .

Edited by Northernlights
wrong date

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Currently socked in with cloud here.   A pity really because it is calm and would have felt quite pleasant otherwise.  15.5c/SSW 2.9mph

aircam_pic.php.jpg

Edited by Blitzen

Posted
1 hour ago, Northernlights said:

Desperately needing this dry week coming up as shifting cattle yesterday the ground was exhibiting  late November conditions with even old established grass so wet that the cattle"s feet were cutting it up      Currently  breezy, bright intervels, dry and 17c. Believe  it or not we are still haymaking for ourselves and a  neighbour. Hope next weeks storms diappear on the model thread as the spring barley is starting to ripen .

I think during the week we unlikely to have any storms up here. Doesn't look like it to be honest (infact might even stay completely dry)

Here today it's a story of cloud

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Next 3 or 4 days are looking very good for the Highlands, certainly compared to the summer we've seen so far! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Last Thursday and Friday were the western wash-out correctly called although it was rather more localised than forecast.  Saturday was a better day although we had to come home then, more's the pity.  We (me and Ms HC) were staying near Loch Moidart - I'll give a thumbs up to the tearoom at Acharacle there for being one of the best for decor, food and drink, service and ambience.

This was me diddling around at the south end of Loch Shiel surface.jpg

These were the River Morar just east of the Arisaig bypass hazard.jpgmorar.jpg

and these two were on the Silver Path, south side Loch Moidart hind & calf.jpg

Back to school / work this week. Pfft, just as we get some decent weather eh, can you believe it?

• Like 1

Posted

A fine hay day sat on the tractor and baler from 1.00pm   to  7.30pm for a neighbour and ourselves and did 1500 small bales of hay. Wispy high cloud in the blue sky with lots of sunshine a sky I remember from a school cruise to the Mediterranean a  sight to behold this summer.

Young Mr Northernlights has just told  me this is why he likes being a farmer taking in hay with a sunset like this over the Firth 20160815.jpg20160815 (2).jpg20160815 (3).jpg20160815 (4).jpg20160815 (5).jpg20160815 (6).jpg

Edited by Northernlights
Add sunset photos
  • Like 8

Posted

Just surpassed 25'C - that's more like it!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

No as warm here but no complaints about the last couple of days.

• Like 1

Posted

It's really quite hot in parts of the Highlands:

Culloden Inverness: 28'C

Drumnadrochit: 27'C

Garve: 27'C

Kinlochewe: 27'C

Fort William: 27'C

Fort Augustus: 27'C

Struy: 26'C

Balnain: 26'C

• Like 4

Posted

Ok, another shot at a sunset.  Playing around with a new camera this evening on the shore near here, struggling with various nibbling fliers, salty mud and slippery seaweed.  Enough of the excuses!redcastle sunset.jpg

We got up to about 22C in Fortrose - and that stunning clear blue sky this morning that I've not seen all year - but I was over at Beauly early afternoon and most other places were at around 25C.  Shame it won't last!

• Like 5

Posted

After a slow start it's an absolutely superb afternoon. Better enjoy it as it's not going to last

Posted
2 hours ago, skifreak said:

Beautiful evening in Inverness. This is turning into quite a nice dusk riverside walk...

image.jpeg

Just to  confirm a great evening here too ,a bit cooler for working.Very lucky neighbour who has managed to leave hay outside for three days until we could get down to shift it in for them this evening. Three hot  bone dry days in a row record breaking for this summer!!! Whole of garden weeded (A tractor bucketfull of chickweed removed) and now looking presentable. Peas ,runner beans,and beetroot excellent but parsnips and carrots in spite of protection have been consumed by some insects! Hope for a hard bare frost this winter to sort this problem.

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 2

Posted

Lovely day again, really warm and sunny. So I spent the day painting radiators and doors - because it's warm, we can leave the windows open all the time so the smell isn't kept indoors. 

This chap put in an appearance a while ago...  moon.jpg  moon reflected.jpg  < doesn't do it justice as the magic is in the movement of the ripples....

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 3

Posted

Clear skies last 2 days and today..............Cloud. Absolutely no wind though

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Cloud lingering here today too giving it a much 'fresher' feel. Not sure how much rain well see this far East in the next few days, the forecast keeps changing. Garden could do with a bit of a water. 

Posted
1 hour ago, NUT said:

Clear skies last 2 days and today..............Cloud. Absolutely no wind though

Yes. Midges are murderous at dawn and dusk when it's like this!

53 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

Cloud lingering here today too giving it a much 'fresher' feel. Not sure how much rain well see this far East in the next few days, the forecast keeps changing. Garden could do with a bit of a water. 

The potato patch got a good soaking last week but by yesterday was looking parched again.  The hose got dragged out late last night...

Funny stuff with cloud cover today - was bright early, then cloudy, now brightening again. Weather...

Posted

A bit in FI but if GFS is to be believed then we be in a blowtorch situation next Wednesday and Thursday showed that last night too

Posted

Another fine day finished tidying up hay for neighbour. Maximum of 20c

Speaking to few folk about the problems with our phone line since the thunder and lightning of two weeks ago Saturday.It seems very widespread going from at least Nairn to Grantown on Spey. We have no phone but surprisingly we have internet. I see from he paper that BT have problems across the whole of the  north of Scotland due to lightning strikes since the 20th July storms.

Posted
1 hour ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Jaffa cakes and digestives with a risk of rich tea down here. More of the same tomorrow although an early start looks a good idea in my area as we're forecast for a decent sunrise before some heavy rain during the day. 

Got Jaffa cakes alright now, enough to put a stop to tree pruning.  Could increase to chocolate hobnobs soon by the look of the radar, fizzling to some of those crappy little lo-cal wafer-thin pieces of cardboard by the early hours.  Localised black forest gateau for some next week although some may escape my laboured metaphors altogether.

Discussions in the MT of next week's temperatures seem a little irrelevant from here. Midge weather.

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 1

Posted

Bright sunny start after some moderate rain overnight. Currently 17c and humid.  Forecast for today according to cat models is extreme heat as I have just witnessed one lying in a puddle . Cats and water don"t usually mix!!!!!!

• Like 2