Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat - Spring 2016 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
48 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

A flaming saltire for breakfast this morning:

image.jpeg

It was lovely in the Borders this morning, not so nice over in Kilmacolm now though. 

Beautiful .... would make a great campaign poster .... a bright new dawn.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Looks like I'm not missing any decent weather back home whilst on holiday.

In Mayrhofen, Austria our first week was generally warm, with temps into the mid 20s and a few rain or even thunder showers bubbling up later in in the day. Saturday was very warm, got into the low 30s I think, followed by torrential thundery showers. We even got a good light show after dark for once, which was nice as the clouds and hills were suddenly and repeatedly lit up. 

That storm has led to a bit of a change though, with yesterday being cloudy with rain showers and cooler. Today has started off the same,  but hopefully looking better again from tomorrow onwards. 

Fantastic place by the way, and I had to grudgingly admit to my wife that if anywhere could top Scotland then Austria might just do it. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
4 hours ago, Ravelin said:

Looks like I'm not missing any decent weather back home whilst on holiday.

In Mayrhofen, Austria our first week was generally warm, with temps into the mid 20s and a few rain or even thunder showers bubbling up later in in the day. Saturday was very warm, got into the low 30s I think, followed by torrential thundery showers. We even got a good light show after dark for once, which was nice as the clouds and hills were suddenly and repeatedly lit up. 

That storm has led to a bit of a change though, with yesterday being cloudy with rain showers and cooler. Today has started off the same,  but hopefully looking better again from tomorrow onwards. 

Fantastic place by the way, and I had to grudgingly admit to my wife that if anywhere could top Scotland then Austria might just do it. 

I misread part of that as 'light snow' - gosh, he must be high!  :blink2:

Standard Highland late summer dross here after a bright start - GREY

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Ok, normally a winter weather poster (#snaw) but a few photos from family holiday to the EU (Haute Provence, France).

Weather was nicely hot, i.e. low 30's max, so survivable for a Scotsman. 

What was particularly crackin was the thunderstorms. Mountains create their own weather, and for a few days in the middle of the stay, that's what they did, spectacularly.

Late afternoon the clouds gathered, then an amazing lightening show + booms galore. Bolts hitting peaks just across the valley. Then pished doon like mad. 

Quality.

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

005.JPG

006.JPG

• Like 1

Posted

Best hay day of the summer strong south wind  and sunny.  Secured two  very good batches of hay in the last two days. Felt like it made about 21c at lunchtime after 5c  early this morning

Had problems with pigeons eating turnip leaves earlier in the summer so made two scarecrows  and named them Donald and Boris .Crows attacking the ripening barley now so moved them today and can report Donald and Boris are equally good at scaring crows as well as pigeons

• Like 4

Posted

Really pretty heavy burst of rain rolling through now

Posted
4 hours ago, Northernlights said:

Best hay day of the summer strong south wind  and sunny.  Secured two  very good batches of hay in the last two days. Felt like it made about 21c at lunchtime after 5c  early this morning

Had problems with pigeons eating turnip leaves earlier in the summer so made two scarecrows  and named them Donald and Boris .Crows attacking the ripening barley now so moved them today and can report Donald and Boris are equally good at scaring crows as well as pigeons

We have a newly adopted cat that young HC wanted to call Boris (despite, or perhaps partly because it's a neutered female).  I exercised a veto.  It's not getting called Nicola either, or Brecessionista. Possibly Emigree (cos it's escaped from England).  Suggestions welcome.

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and....a bit more snow

Woke up around 2 ish to a crazy storm. Lasted about 30 mins... Lots of lightning, really loud thunder and some of the most torrential rain I've seen in years...couple with gusty winds...I say seen,but really heard, as the power was cut and the area  was in black. Which made the storm even more impressive! Seemed to be an impressive amount of strikes in our area and to the west of me ... Anyone else experience this?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: any storms
6 minutes ago, DR(S)NO said:

Woke up around 2 ish to a crazy storm. Lasted about 30 mins... Lots of lightning, really loud thunder and some of the most torrential rain I've seen in years...couple with gusty winds...I say seen,but really heard, as the power was cut and the area  was in black. Which made the storm even more impressive! Seemed to be an impressive amount of strikes in our area and to the west of me ... Anyone else experience this?

Sure did one of the best storms I've seen in ages I was woken around 2:30 with the baby monitor bleeping after the power was cut thought I could here thunder in the distance then a big flash .if there is a good thing to be woken up in the middle of the night a surprise thunderstorm has got to be it 

Posted

We just missed the storm some of you are talking about by a matter of miles (moved just to the north east of us)

Posted
1 hour ago, DR(S)NO said:

Wow was some storm last night ! we had the same as you on the other side of the river , lots of lightning and very loud thunder followed by biblical flood rain !! The streets of Gourock are awash with debris from the downpour !

Edited by CoastRainbow

Posted

Seen on the radar around 23:30 that Islay and Jura were been battered by a Thunderstorm with loads of lightning.. This moved E/NE over Campbeltown over Rothesey into Inverclyde and NW of Glasgow.. Look like some intense downpours aswell.. Not a drop where I was infact mist here..

Edited by Sunshineandshowers84
Was not completed

Posted
13 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

We have a newly adopted cat that young HC wanted to call Boris (despite, or perhaps partly because it's a neutered female).  I exercised a veto.  It's not getting called Nicola either, or Brecessionista. Possibly Emigree (cos it's escaped from England).  Suggestions welcome.

Call it Hen. 

• Like 1

Posted
13 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

Flaviu.

Looks like Inverclyde was the place to be last night! I woke up 2am to heavy rain here, but no thunder. I see though there was lightning off to our East in the early hours so nearly, but not quite!

Currently sunny, but plenty clouds building and feels quite humid. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

Michael Fish will be appearing in this https://hurricanemichael.net/  on Friday Edinburgh

Real Michael Fish, with @Michael_Phish

Can't voucher for the content but I'm going after my STV shift to say Hi!

Posted

Not sure if this is the right place but here goes.

There are reports that after heavy rain there is a landslip on the road between Helmsdale and Thurso and is blocked at Kildonan.

Can anyone with local knowledge advise where exactly the blockage is? I have been planning a gopdpanning trip to Kildonan (Baile an Ore) from the South, Helmsdale direction. Would like to know if it's still accessible.

Thanks.

Posted

The rail line is blocked as well between Kildonan and Kinbrace stations, so it's probably somewhere the road and rail line are close together, they are on opposite sides of the river till a bit more than halfway beetween the two stations then the railway crosses the river and runs into Kinbrace on the East side of the River Helmsdale. Traffic reports appear to have lost interest after the short disruption on the A9 was cleared.

• Like 1

Posted

Fun on the roads again with Tartan Fart (aka Belladrum) cleverly on the same weekend as the Black Isle Show.  Planning eh. Council, here's a brewery, could you organise a p155up please?

• Like 1

Posted
On 3 August 2016 at 08:38, DR(S)NO said:

The storm largely missed here and seemed t be confined to the area including and north of the Clyde Estuary. There was very little thunder and briefly heavy rain but there were plenty of flashes of lightning to the west and north. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

What have you done to the Scottish weather whilst I've been away. Looking at the forecast for the week ahead,  since I'll be back on Sat, and I find forecast highs of 13C midweek. In August! 

BTW, peeing it doon in Mayrhofen this morning and forecast to continue,  so a lazy last day in prospect. 

Posted
2 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

It's been very average with a lot of cloud, at least down here...can't vouch for anywhere else.

For the last two weeks, the temps have been on a gentle drift down and there've been no really nice days nor any utter dross. Pretty average really, and that's the way it looks to stay.

Bit of a crappy end to a crappy summer for me as my supposed escape to warmth in June was almost a wash-out. Must remember not to go abroad in June!